72 455 paint

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:02 PM

72 455 paint

i know its the metallic blue color. i know you can get it from fusicks. I just dont want to pay the large coin for border fees etc.
So my question is, is there any other brands that can be had locally (say lordco or canadian tire ) or some place along those lines that will be a "close" match? im not looking for it to be exactly perfect because my cars not origional as it is. Just something close. Thanks
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM

I don't know that you're going to find an answer from the U.S. members on here, I know you can buy it at NAPA Auto parts but I don't know if you have one up there where you are. Your best bet is to go to an auto parts store near you and see if they have a paint book for rattle can paints, then just find a color that's close. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

Steve
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:56 AM

I bought mine from the local NAPA store. Where ever they can mix paint. I have a few cans and even Eastwood's high heat paint that I never used. The only border to cross is the Alberta/BC border. If you're coming to the Oldsmobile show in Olds Alberta on July 21, I can bring it there. Lots of BC cars coming to that show. Besides, US companies will not send spray cans across the border.
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:25 AM

oh ok. Ya we have a few napas around here so i can try and see what they can do for me. thanks for the reply. any help is good! Can the napa mix up high heat paint? I would presume that i should get high heat paint so its going to last correct?
I would take you up on that offer of the paint 442much but i think its going to be happening pretty soon here. I did not know about that show, perhaps i will try and make it! Would be the first show I have gone to that had more than 2 or 3 olds in it!
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Ok ok. went to the napa today and they JUST stopped doing the mixed paint thing. damn. couldnt find a metallic engine paint anywhere. I saw this stuff on the shelf.. little dark but close enough for my needs. It is just an enamal, not high heat. Will it hold up? Is the paint from the online sources high temp?? thanks so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (28.0 KB, 14 views)
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by 4424me
Ok ok. went to the napa today and they JUST stopped doing the mixed paint thing. damn. couldnt find a metallic engine paint anywhere. I saw this stuff on the shelf.. little dark but close enough for my needs. It is just an enamal, not high heat. Will it hold up? Is the paint from the online sources high temp?? thanks so much.
I bought the exact same paint for some touch up I was doing on a z24. It did not fair too well.
I would not suggest that for engine paint.
Funny, our Napa still mixes paint
This may sound silly, but I got some great engine paint from a farm equipment dealer .Try a F--d New holland dealerThe blue they use is fairly similar in color to the 455, and certainly would be durable!
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It will hold up as long as you never start and run your engine.

I'm sure NAPA here mixes paint still. I can ask them and get back to you. Only one thing about paint - you can't send it in the mail. It falls under the jurisdiction of TDG here in Canada and CP won't accept it. Don't know what Greyhounds policy is.

You do need high temp paint though. Anything else is just a waste of time.
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:02 PM

I have a can from Tamraz auto in my garage right now...it matches... Do you want it? Is the duty/shipping gonna be that bad?
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
I have a can from Tamraz auto in my garage right now...it matches... Do you want it? Is the duty/shipping gonna be that bad?
Good luck trying to ship that. Soon as you declare the package contents as paint, it will be refused.
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Are the gonna know if I "don't" ship it as paint? I really do'nt know, never shipped paint to Canada before...
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:11 PM

sorry been a while since ive been on here. I have thrown out the idea of using that metal flakes garbage and am going with the metalcast. Its oil and gasoline resistant and heat resistant up to 500* fer.
is not the " right color" but my car is not stock so i think its going to look nice ! Thanks for opinions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
paintteedd.jpg (208.0 KB, 12 views)
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Are the gonna know if I "don't" ship it as paint? I really do'nt know, never shipped paint to Canada before...
I have no idea. Don't even know if they scan parcels....

sorry been a while since ive been on here. I have thrown out the idea of using that metal flakes garbage and am going with the metalcast. Its oil and gasoline resistant and heat resistant up to 500* fer.
is not the " right color" but my car is not stock so i think its going to look nice ! Thanks for opinions
That looks nothing like a 455. I'm guessing the pic is to show the color you're going to use. Looks great! It will really dress up your 455.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
NOVICE car nut

It will hold up as long as you never start and run your engine....

That would be a tough decison to make .
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:57 PM

lol no its a volvo apparently. just a sample of the color is all.
ha that would be a tough decision!
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

lol no its a volvo apparently. just a sample of the color is all.
ha that would be a tough decision!
Geez, I'm going have to give Volvo top marks for having a pretty cool paint color on their engine. Wouldn't that be kickass if that volvo put out over 250 hp????