65 442 carburetor questions

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2021, 06:11 AM

65 442 carburetor questions

I am running an edelbrock 1406 at the moment on this engine and it’s seems lean to me. I couldn’t use the 4gc carb because I didn’t want to modify the linkage to accommodate the tv cable to the 200r4 transmission. The edelbrock was no problem.
should I try to re jet this carburetor or get a 1411 edelbrock? As for Quadrajets I’m not sure I can use with the transmission
appreciate your opinions thanks in advance
Old December 23rd, 2021, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Considering that Olds only used Qjets with the 200-4R, I think you can make that work.

As for the "seems lean", based on what? Did you read the plugs? Do you have a wide-band O2 sensor? Jets and metering rods are a lot cheaper than a new carb, and the only certainty is that the new carb won't be jetted correctly for your application either. On the other hand, 600 CFM is small for an Olds 400. Carb CFM has no relationship to how lean it runs, however. All it effects is max HP.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 07:43 AM

By seems lean I guess what I’m really saying is it just doesn’t feel up to the engine size although it runs great This carburetor was on the 350 I just recently swapped out and was a good match for that motor. It sounds like re jetting the 1406 might be the best option. I do have a quadrajet from a 79 Chevy that might work ?
Or do I need a Qjet from a 455 ?
Old December 23rd, 2021, 07:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Gpc1
By seems lean I guess what I’m really saying is it just doesn’t feel up to the engine size although it runs great This carburetor was on the 350 I just recently swapped out and was a good match for that motor. It sounds like re jetting the 1406 might be the best option. I do have a quadrajet from a 79 Chevy that might work ?
Or do I need a Qjet from a 455 ?
Your "butt dyno" is about the worst possible way to gauge if the carb is lean or not, especially if it "runs great". Until you have actual confirmation that the jetting is wrong (black smoke, white plugs, or god forbid, data from a real wideband O2 sensor), you're more likely than not to make it worse by playing with jetting. There are a LOT of reasons why it "just doesn't feel up to the engine size", only some of which are related to the carb at all. You REALLY don't want to start messing with jetting without a better understanding of what the car needs in the first place. This is the hundred monkeys with a hundred typewriters scenario.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 08:40 AM

Don’t have a O2 wideband to verify, butt dyno, timing light, dwell meter and such is about all I have ever needed.there is no smoke and plugs look fine maybe I’m just expecting too much. Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2021, 08:59 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Sounds like the 1406 is not enough CFM for the motor. Try the Chev q-jet if compatible with your linkage.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
Sounds like the 1406 is not enough CFM for the motor. Try the Chev q-jet if compatible with your linkage.
I thought it might be not enough cfm , but maybe not. Going to run it for awhile and see. The problem with the Chevy Qjet is the choke set up won’t work with the olds motor that I can see
Old December 23rd, 2021, 11:21 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I thought it might be not enough cfm , but maybe not. Going to run it for awhile and see. The problem with the Chevy Qjet is the choke set up won’t work with the olds motor that I can see
Not to mention the fact that it will necessitate use of a spreadbore manifold. Installation notes for the 1406 suggest that it's good for up to 502 CI, so I'd continue to work with it if I were you.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Not to mention the fact that it will necessitate use of a spreadbore manifold. Installation notes for the 1406 suggest that it's good for up to 502 CI, so I'd continue to work with it if I were you.
The manifold problem could probably be overcome with a spacer, but I’m going to keep the edelbrock on there and recheck all my settings again.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

The manifold problem could probably be overcome with a spacer,
Only if you REALLY want to screw up the flow.
Old December 26th, 2021, 07:46 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Oops! Didn't notice that the manifold was not for a spreadbore carb.
Old December 28th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Only if you REALLY want to screw up the flow.
i have a 1” spacer on there now to give clearance for the carburetor throttle linkeage from manifold.
Am I screwing up the air flow with it?
Old December 28th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

i have a 1” spacer on there now to give clearance for the carburetor throttle linkeage from manifold.
Am I screwing up the air flow with it?
A spacer with straight holes that are the same diameter as the holes in the manifold is a minimal flow impact. I'm talking about the crappy Qjet-to-square bore adapters where the holes go sideways. The die cast ones are even worse.

Old December 28th, 2021, 12:50 PM

A spacer with straight holes that are the same diameter as the holes in the manifold is a minimal flow impact. I'm talking about the crappy Qjet-to-square bore adapters where the holes go sideways. The die cast ones are even worse.
I would never consider something like that. The spacer I have doesn’t have the 4 holes but is open.
I don’t know if that matters or not?
Old December 28th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

I would never consider something like that. The spacer I have doesn’t have the 4 holes but is open.
I don’t know if that matters or not?
It depends on the manifold and your specific engine combo. An open spacer adds plenum volume. That may or may not be beneficial to the engine. And what happens at the mounting flange on the intake? Does it have four individual holes? If so, there's likely a flow disruption there.
Old December 28th, 2021, 01:10 PM

It depends on the manifold and your specific engine combo. An open spacer adds plenum volume. That may or may not be beneficial to the engine. And what happens at the mounting flange on the intake? Does it have four individual holes? If so, there's likely a flow disruption there.
stock 4 hole manifold so maybe get a spacer with the 4 holes I’m thinking. Also thinner like 1/2” if it will still clear the lineage.another question non carburetor, which vacuum port to use for the distributor. I see most hooked up on the passenger side port which is timed vacuum or the one on the driver side which is full vacuum?
Old January 1st, 2022, 12:07 PM
RAG

Greg, I've put a 200-4R on a couple '65's using the 4G carb, just takes some fabrication and brazing.
Old January 1st, 2022, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by RAG
Greg, I've put a 200-4R on a couple '65's using the 4G carb, just takes some fabrication and brazing.
Roger,
Do you still have the carburetor I sent back? I felt guilty about modifying the lineage on such a nice unit.
I’ll buy it back and the correct baseplate if you still have them . Thanks