57 - 371 - engine diagram help

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Post 57 - 371 - engine diagram help

I have the shop manual, the problem I have a oil sending unit leaking 1 drop per second. It was rounded off by who ever had worked on it before. No tool will remover it. The shop manual fails to show this area in any detail. If I had the engine diagram that would help. Does anyone know if I can remove the assembly where the oil filter and send unit are and what are the pit falls when doing that like, gaskets, what else should be replaced, ect.

Thanks

Dale T
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by 4u2sea
I have the shop manual, the problem I have a oil sending unit leaking 1 drop per second. It was rounded off by who ever had worked on it before. No tool will remover it. The shop manual fails to show this area in any detail. If I had the engine diagram that would help. Does anyone know if I can remove the assembly where the oil filter and send unit are and what are the pit falls when doing that like, gaskets, what else should be replaced, ect.

Thanks

Dale T
You will have to use either vise grips or channel locks to get that sucker out if it is so damaged the correct removal/installation tool won't work. Don't worry about ruining it as it is already unserviceable.

Sounds as if the previous owner didn't realize oil pressure switches can and will leak and tried to stop the leak by tightening it more. The leak was not from not being tight enough as over time they will develop leaks beneath the metal ring. Oil pressure switches have tapered thread and require no gaskets or sealants. All that is required is a good snug fit.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Its already going to be replaced so just remove with vice grips. If you want to take the entire oil filter/ oil sending housing out, its 3 bolts. If you go that far, replace the housing with a '61 and up 394. It accepts a spin on filter and the bolt pattern is the same to the 371. I have done this swap with no problems. PM me if your interested - I have a couple spare 394 housings. This swap pays for itself.. no more over priced canister filters
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Thumbs up Oil switch

I just changed the oil switch on my 371 and it was a lot easier when I removed the road vent tube first take the two bolts out of the lower mount and then wiggle wiggle the tube till it drops off--saved a lot of money on Brylcreme...man that car leaks oil