455 stalling

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2011, 08:49 PM

455 stalling

Ok so I have a few issues.

1. When I first start her, as soon as I get off the gas she won't stay running until I pump it a few times and she almost dies.

2. After she is idiling in park (1k rmp) she sounds good, when shes cold. Soon as she gets warm/hot about 160, she wants to die when at a light. She will almost die and then lunge forward. 800 rpm in gear.

3. Then, while warm/hot, she idels higher (1100-1200) and when I put her into drive or reverse she dies. Also dies if I am in gear and just pump the gas a little to move over a bump or back up my drive way.

I can tell you guys right now I am no expert but learning. My quadrajet looks a little rough and she is a little wet after a good run of about 20 miles. It also looks like the choke is inop. I need suggestions.
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:13 AM

You haven't given us any history on the engine, but from that litany of woes, I would say that a complete carburetor rebuild, choke repair, and tune-up are in order.

Your comment about the carburetor being "a little wet" is especially troublesome. What do you mean by this? The only place gasoline should go is out the jets and down into the engine. If there is gasoline wetting the carburetor that you can actually see, you may have leaks somewhere or vacuum issues or who knows what. Is it possibly leaking at the point where the line from the fuel pump enters the carb? I believe that's where the fuel filter is, and it's possible that the fitting isn't tightened enough, or, worse, is cross-threaded.

But if it were me, and I determined that it's not leaking fuel external to the carburetor, I would leave the leak issue alone for the time-being and do the rebuild and proper tune-up, which you should do, anyway, because of all your other problems. Then see if the wet carburetor issue is still there.
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Administrator

I believe you answered your own question in your post. And, I thoroughly agree with what Jaunty said, solve the wet carb issue first and get the choke working. Then do a complete tuneup!