455 Oil Pan Question-GM of Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2017, 09:44 AM

455 Oil Pan Question-GM of Aftermarket

I recently purchased a complete olds 455 in St George, UT as a parts engine for various upcoming builds. The bottom end had recently been redone with forged pistons, new rods, oil system mods, HV pump, the usual 455 upgrades. It had a set of Ga heads on it that had been redone a bit before the bottom end but still in very usable shape after going through them. MY question is about the oil pan. I removed it and thought it was the typical toronado pan with hump but this one is quite different. Aside from the 2 windage trays bolted to the engine, there's a longer one built into the pan and also a crank scraper built in along with a molded side kick out of about an inch built into the pan. However, it appears to be a GM oil pan. I don't see any resemblance to any aftermarket pan made now or 40 years ago. What am I missing? Seems to be a 5.5 to 6qt pan to meet the dipstick level line but it looks to be a GM pan that hasn't been modified ever that I can see. It's a center drain plug with raised area around the plug like w30 pans but has all these extras molded into the pan inside. After having stripped the paint off, it was gold painted from the old owner, I didn't see any welds that shouldn't be there and the kickout appears to be molded in nicely and the crank scraper tack welded in like everything else GM did.

Is it a GM pan or Aftermarket?

A new employee stupidly reinstalled on an engine but I can remove it to take pictures if I really need to.

Last edited by airvegas; March 23rd, 2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Pictures would help. Perhaps it's a pan for a 455 that was originally in a motorhome. I've heard that 455s were also used in marine applications.
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:05 AM

IIRC very late Toros used a design similar to what you describe. I have an early Toro pan and aftermarket 8 qt pans in Vegas if you want to compare or get one of them.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:05 PM

Pictures added

I do believe it is the Toronado pan now that I have looked at some. Strange how they did all this with Toronados but not with the W30 cars. Oh well, thanks for the replies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture_0271.jpg (52.4 KB, 76 views)
toropan.jpg (13.2 KB, 74 views)
$_35.JPG (18.1 KB, 74 views)
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by airvegas
I do believe it is the Toronado pan now that I have looked at some. Strange how they did all this with Toronados but not with the W30 cars. Oh well, thanks for the replies
Yes, that is a Toro pan. The "scraper" is really there to minimize the oil coming off the crank into the front of the pan. That notch for the axle shaft traps oil in the front of the pan, away from the pickup. Minimizing that oil helps keep it in the sump.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:18 AM

wanna sell that oil pan?