455 forged pistons

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Good advisce from hotrodpc, take it and have a successful build.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I'm curious about that federal mogul rebuild kit. That kits seems decent for the money for what it includes. I have a 425 block sitting there ready to be built into a 455 and this kit seems like a nice value. Any opinions on it? Not to thread steal or anything, but definitely interested.
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Just be sure to get a Forgerd set of pistons in your kit BerBer. Someone pointed out to me, and it does appear to be true. That Olds pistons are expensive compared to say Chevy parts, as in Duh, we already knew that, but because of the expense of the pistons, it really not that much more, maybe $30-$40 more in most cases, where in Chevy pistons the cost differance between cast and forged is significant. No so in Olds. Point is, don't settle for cast just because someone has them in stock when you can get forged for just a little more. Some believe cast are better because they are lighter in weight, but for the strength i would suffer the little bit of weight. And if I ever decided to add a little squeeze (Nitrous) someday,then its all ready to go and built for it. Personally I like all motor and no bottle, but who knows, maybe it just a fear I have of blowing a motor or not using it right and cost myself alot of money. I do imagine someday I will eventually play with some funny gas. Maybe in a cheaper engine first before I decide to try it on this build I'll be working on for a few months since funds are an issue.
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BerBer5985
I'm curious about that federal mogul rebuild kit. That kits seems decent for the money for what it includes. I have a 425 block sitting there ready to be built into a 455 and this kit seems like a nice value. Any opinions on it? Not to thread steal or anything, but definitely interested.
I'm running the kit in my 455 and I think it is the best bang for the buck. I agree with running forged pistons. I had a bad experiance with KB so they lost my buisness.
Dave
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the update on the KB pistons. I was giving them consideration at one time. I have pretty much decided to go TRW/SpeedPro forged when I get ready to buy a kit. I just need to decide what to build first, the 425 or the 455 in a 425 block. So far the 455 in the 425 block is winning since I have most of those parts as far as balance, rods, flywheel, 425 block etc.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM

hey hotrodpc, you are the man. I think everytiMe I've had a question on here you've answered it and I thank you for that. I will most likely buy that kit down the road for my 425/455 build which will be soon after my suspension rebuild. That looks like includes almost everything but the rods and rotating assmsbly, oh and the heads but that's pretty complete. Thanks!
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks Ber. Not sure why that is. I wish more would post more often. I have dealt with Chevy engines all my life, mostly small blocks, and a few Pontiacs. I consider myself new to Olds and have learned alot in a short time with lots of reading and research. I still got lots to learn too before I feel very conifident. Believe it or not, I have alway liked Olds Cutlass and worked a bit on one of my brothers. What got me into Olds this time, was I bought a 80 GMC pickup that was Olds 350 Diesel originally, and someone converterd it to Olds 350 gas. I was talking about taking the Olds 350 gas out and putting in a SBC 350. I had a member of another truck forum I belong to, tell me I ought to keep the Olds 350 and freshen it up that Olds 350 is good and better than Chevy 350 blah blah blah. So as I always do, I considered his suggestion and did some research and found he was right. I then decided to hell with small blocks been around them long enough, its time for big boy toys, so I researched BBO and decided I wanted a 455. I responded to an ad of an estate sale of many differant engines, all unknown. I bougth this Olds 425 without even knowing what it was for sure. It was $30 with the T400 trans attatched, so how could I go wrong. Turned out to be this 67 425 that I have with C heads and a Switch (Variable) Pitch Turbo 400. It was scrap rust seized iron when I got it, but I have revived it. I also ended up buying a 67 Pontiac 400 with Turbo 400 and another 75 Pontiac 400 with Turbo 400 for $20 each. So I got all 3 motors and all 3 trans for a grand total of $70. One of these days, someone may ask how I saved that old scrap iron rusty motor that the machine shop told me was junk to scrap it. Then I bought this 71 Olds 455 with G heads and a Nodular crank for $75. I have 5 80-86 model Chevy truck projects that I intend to make 3 trucks out of. 1 of them is already a driver, but the other 2 are going to get BBO powerplants. In the meantime if I ever get funds together and come across a good Olds body, then one of the engines will end up in it. Hopefully either a Cutlass or a 2 Door Delta 88. I like to be differant, so I almost prefer to have the 2 Door Delta. I see plenty of Cutlasses around. Anyway, I still got a lot to learn about Olds and hopefully some others will respond too.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:59 AM

One thing I did notice about the Fed Mog kits. Has anyone noticed its cheaper to build a BBO than a SBO??? Although its a small amount, nevertheless you can build a 455 for less than you can a 350. The engine kit is about $13 cheaper for the 455, if you are using an intake valley pan gasket, the 455 gasket is about $4 cheaper. Machine work and cam/valvetrain kit should be the same price. I can only assume this is because of the mass production factor and more Olds people are building BBO than SBO. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it doesn't have to. I like it. That is a nice kit for the money and more than likely what I am going to use. Has anyone else read where its better to use a Ford 460 2 piece rear main seal on your BBO build? And also use the 350 Olds Diesel Oil Pan gasket for your build too?
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM

The ford 460 seal is they to go for sure. Don't know about the pan gasket have to look into that
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:00 AM

I found where I read that about the pan gasket. It was on O442.com, so as with everything there, take it with a grain of salt, but this would seem to make sense to me if its true about the steel shim inside. Here is the quote:
"For the oil pan gasket, use a 350 Olds diesel because it has a steel shim or fiberglass core to prevent squashing."
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:17 AM

I was told to use the 460 Ford seal on my 455, and it worked out real nice. I will never use a rope seal again.
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM

Cool, so that one is true too. Making a mental note. Use 460 Ford Rear main seal. I hate rope seals too. Are you catching all this info Charlie Brown? These are the little minor details that make one huge differance on an engine build. It would appear to me, I can go to an auto parts store and ask for a pan gasket for an Olds Diesal and that shim in the gasket should be obvious. Nothing like having an new built motor and having oil leaks. Now that I have had before and its frustrating. Back in my dumb days at about age 20 when I built my first or second motor and the book said to torque the oil pan bolts. hahahha yeah right how dumb. Well, its not so dumb after all. I overtightened them and squeezed the gasket out. Oil pan had to come back off after the motor had been installed and a new gasket put on. Its actually better to undertighten than overtighten. You can always go back and add another 1/2 turn, but once you overtighten it and pinch the gasket, its done. Start all over. Seems to me this Diesel gasket would be more forgiving of that. Thanks for confiming the 460 seal MN.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM

I'm just passing on something I learned here a couple months back.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM

Well i'm back on the fence as far as the pistons are concerned. Which ever way i go i'm ordering them next week. Called Dick Miller the other day and was told that the KB's were heavier than the Speed Pros. So i'm trying to get as much information in order to compare the two I'm not too familiar with the JE's and wiesco's and all the other brands so i'm going to stick to what i know but of course still keep these in consideration. I was also speaking to performanceolds and was told that they never run valley trays and haven't noticed any temp difference on the intake. Whats yalls take on that? I figured hot oil would maybe even slightly raise the temp of the air being taken in, but hey i'm here learning so i could be wrong. Oh and HOTROD between you and the old lady i think it will be around christmas that this thing will be finished (shhhh! but i think she's jealous). But seriously after reading your story very extensive story (lol) I think i will take your advise and pump my brakes ah little cuz i'ld rather move on to fixing another part of the car than redoing what i'm already done. The advice is always appreciated and keep it coming. Thanks

Last edited by Charlie_brown; August 22nd, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM

hahaha, and yeah as long as that story was, you got the short version. There is even more, but you get the point and that was my concern. My bro would have had a very differant outcome, if all he would have done was let me gone home, get a nights sleep, then get it about 9am the next day. Amazying what the 16 hours he would not wait cost him. The women are always jealous when a man has a car he takes pride in. Just get used to that. The trick to that is, get them just as involved in the build as you are, and they take some pride in it too and EVERYONE is happy is whem Mama's happy. Thats just the way that works. My son in law was having some problems with my duaghter and her being upset etc. I told him that advice and he asked how to get her involved. I told him, tell her she can buy herself a high dollar sewing machine if she will do the upholstery in the car. So now the daughter is happy, she has her pride invested in the car too, and they are making a marital project out of this 67 Nova they are building. The money they are saving in labor on the upholstery is paying for the sewing machine like 2 times so it was a good deal all the way around. Hahaha, little did he know, I set him up to set her up, so now she will be doing my seats and door panels in my trucks too. See how that works??? Its all about thinking outside the box and everyone wins !!!