455 ENGINE Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Gary

455 ENGINE Rebuild

I decided to take my engine out and send it to get it looked at because it was not running like it should.The engine had been rebuilt by the previous owner. I did not think much about the engine when I got it because I started it and drove the car around the block and then I took the whole car apart for a total restoration of the car. It is a 72 442 with a 455. After 3 or 4 months trying to get the engine running correctly and asking many questions about what possibly could be wrong with it, I found myself getting very frustrated because no matter what I did to it, it just would not idle correctly and after running for about five minutes it would not turn over until the engine cooled down. I changed the starter twice and had the same problem and then I went with a high torque starter same thing. Changed the distributor to HEI, changed the carburetor on it twice from Edlebrook to Rochester(rebuilt) and then the original carburetor a Rochester that came with the car I sent it off and had it rebuilt. I must have timed it numerous of times thinking I had it advanced to far but still the same thing was going on with it. Then thought I may have a vacumn leak. I found one around the heat choke stove and I replaced that and still the same problem.At that point I am not sure what is going on with other than thinking the engine internally was having some type of problem. I pulled it back out and sent it off. Today the machine shop called and said that the compression on the engine was 10:1 and also said that 2 of the lobes on the camshaft was flat and he also said that the drivers side head probably was late in detonation. He confirmed that the engine apparently had been gone thru by not properly because he also mentioned that there might be a problem with the crankshaft also. I did not get a chance to speak with him long because I had to take another call but I told him I would call him back and discuss further. I did mention to him that I really don't care about a lot of HP, just something stock and dependable. What kind of questions should I ask him on the rebuild and what kind of build should I want if I just want a stock old engine?

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; April 25th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by gh5168
I did not get a chance to speak with him long because I had to take another call...
Danger, Will Robinson!

You are a customer who is about to lay out thousands of dollars at his shop and who has not even committed to the details yet. He should be talking with you as long as he has to, without allowing interruptions. I would be wary of a place that shrugs you off at the most critical time in the customer relationship, before you've even laid out the bucks - what will he do when he's got a good percentage of the bill from you, and the project is behind schedule, and you're calling to find out why?

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM

He had to take a call, not the shop.
Ask hm what's wrong with the crank specifically, have him write things down etc.
If you have 10.0:1 pistons get a number off of them, chances are they probably aren't 10.0:1, too many variables.
Bottom line, ask questions, get specifics, if you don't understand what he is telling you have him write it down, and yes it's your money, you have every right to ask.
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
He had to take a call, not the shop.
Serves me right for trying to post and cook dinner at the same time.

Jeez, I even quoted it out .

That was just dumb.

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Gary

Thanks Eric, but I was the one who put him off because I was at work and was getting ready for a conference call. He come highly recommended by my neighbor who refered me to the guy. He rebuilt his engine for his Corvette and his Z28. He replaced the block on the Z and the rebuid cost him about 2200.00. The other engine was even less. He seems pleased with both, and both are stock engines so if I can get it for something in that price range, I think that would be ok.When I spoke with him several months ago he told me it would probably cost about 2,000. I think that would be cool. I am going to call him tomorrow morning,really going by there because he wants the flywheel so he can balance the engine.
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Keep us posted, let me know if I can help on cam selection/grind.

Thanks and good luck!