455 engine assembly help

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM

455 engine assembly help

My heads were milled a small amount and the block was decked, the shop had ask if I was going to use the valley pan gasket or the individual gaskets. He said if i am using the valley pan he would not need to take any off the intake side of the heads but was real close. The other gaskets he said are thicker and puts it over the edge and should have a little cut off the intake side of the heads. I told him I was using the valley pan.

Now I see that the valley pan will hit my roller lifters. Can I just cut the tops off of a valley pan gasket and use them that way? I don't see why not but also not sure the best way to go from here. I am not going to cut the W-455 intake.

I am also wondering about valve covers. will double gaskets still allow the valve cover to fit under an A/C bracket? I have Harland Sharp shaft roller rockers and don't want to remove the baffles. Can I dent them and still be able to use one gasket?

Last, In the past when I adjusted rockers. i just turned them 1/2 to 3/4 turn past zero lash. With these adjusters on the tips how far do I turn them. Not sure I can get a round feeler gauge down inside the roller lifter to check the preload.
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:54 AM
major noob

I wouldn't cut the valley pan but that's just me can you get the regular gaskets in the thickness of the valley pan?
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Administrator

There was a thread not to long ago addressing this with another member. I know he ended up trimming the valley pan to clear the interference area. Just can't find the thread.

The valve covers interfere with the poly locks, people have used the shorter ones, plus thicker or multiple v/c gaskets. You just have to play with it.

On the valve adjustments, some cam manufacturers recommend 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 turn past 0 lash for hydraulics. Look to see what yours says.
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:52 AM
morgan

i had cut the valley pan on my rebuild years ago and it worked fine...no leaks
Old March 15th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Rodney

Bracket clearance

Will the AC and alt brackets clear the valve covers if you double up the gaskets?
Old March 15th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There was a thread not to long ago addressing this with another member. I know he ended up trimming the valley pan to clear the interference area. Just can't find the thread.

The valve covers interfere with the poly locks, people have used the shorter ones, plus thicker or multiple v/c gaskets. You just have to play with it.

On the valve adjustments, some cam manufacturers recommend 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 turn past 0 lash for hydraulics. Look to see what yours says.
These don't have the poly locks like that. They are the shaft mounted and the adjustment are on the tip of the push rod side. This is why i have a question on adjustment also. I am not sure if the thread pitch is the same. If it is not the same then a 1/2 turn will not be the same.

Now i am wondering about the oil pump. I got a milling standard stock pump. it is not the high volume. I am wondering about shimming it. Should it be shimmed and if so how much?
Old March 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Administrator

This is out of there tech page.

Valve Lash Settings

Follow cam manufacturer guidelines. Each application will vary. Hydraulic cams with stock rocker arms normally require 1 full turn tighter
from zero lash (no clatter). Roller rocker arms should be tightened no more than ½ turn from zero lash.

I think there have been 2 trains of thought on oil pumps due to the oil return characteristics. I believe one can run the stock pump with no issues.
Old March 15th, 2014, 02:10 PM
morgan

I always liked mondellos advise about going high volumn basically the spring but that means a stock pan is risky
Old March 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
These don't have the poly locks like that. They are the shaft mounted and the adjustment are on the tip of the push rod side.
Eric:
What kind of rockers are you running? Could you post a pic of them? It's my understanding that the valve cover interference is from the Polylocks, not the rockers themselves. If your not using polylocks maybe you won't have any clearance issues. (never mind on the pics - saw your other post)

Rodney

Last edited by cdrod; March 15th, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old March 15th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Hey Eric, are you running the S50026A rockers? I believe those are non-adjustable, basically stock pedestal replacements. Good for 350# spring pressure with the 5/16ths mounting bolt and cam lifts up to .500ish.
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:26 PM

These don't have the poly locks like that. They are the shaft mounted and the adjustment are on the tip of the push rod side. This is why i have a question on adjustment also. I am not sure if the thread pitch is the same. If it is not the same then a 1/2 turn will not be the same.

Now i am wondering about the oil pump. I got a milling standard stock pump. it is not the high volume. I am wondering about shimming it. Should it be shimmed and if so how much?
I run the HS mini shaft rockets, and I removed my VC baffles, but before I did that I would do a mock up with some clay the check clearances. I use a single gasket. I'm assuming you'll use "exhaust closing-intake opening
" to adjust lifter preload, I used a half turn..
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I run the HS mini shaft rockets, and I removed my VC baffles, but before I did that I would do a mock up with some clay the check clearances. I use a single gasket. I'm assuming you'll use "exhaust closing-intake opening
" to adjust lifter preload, I used a half turn..
Does it suck much oil into the air cleaner with no baffles?
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For whatever it's worth, I found that a simple, regular hex nut (either ¼-20 or M6 - I forget which, but only one will fit into the tube) as a spacer will get you a cutoff of about 60-65psi, which felt about right to me.

= Eric
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Does it suck much oil into the air cleaner with no baffles?
I fabbed custom baffles, I think they're needed for clean valve covers.
Old March 19th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
For whatever it's worth, I found that a simple, regular hex nut (either ¼-20 or M6 - I forget which, but only one will fit into the tube) as a spacer will get you a cutoff of about 60-65psi, which felt about right to me.

= Eric

X2...I have used 1/4-20 nut in the tube also...