454 in olds cutlass ?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Look, Chevy engines are fine. The LS-family is especially impressive. The fact remains that the Olds engine is what makes the car an Oldsmobile. Swapping in a Chevy turns the Olds into a Chevelle with misshapen sheet metal.

The argument that Chevy motors are cheaper to build should also apply to the body. Chevelle parts are more plentiful and should be cheaper. If one is going to make that argument with the engine, it should also apply to the entire car.
Joe,
The Chevelle is more plentiful due to their greatly liked appearance,and in the SS form, their performance, and f/ those reasons alot of people bought them new back then. And they're still widely liked cars now, mostly due to their reputation of days past. In general economics, your theory would apply.
And just because the Chevy is cheaper to build, wouldn't be any reason I'd have to build one. I liked Chevys from years back because they were the best running thing out there overall. I'm not ALL f/ any make car, and my reply to that thread had nothing to do "personally" w/ anyone, the guy w/ the 454 Cutlass or the guys who ran him down. My point was the negativeness being thrown around. I'll always build whatever I build f/ many different reasons that I may or may not have f/ building a ride at that time, but building an engine of any kind isn't dirt cheap if you invest the quality parts needed to make it perform and last. And if I build an engine that costs ie; $5,000. , I wouldn't build something at/from that point to save 500 to 1,000 dollars give or take only due to saving that amount. IMO that would be crazy. I could build another 383 Chevy f/ my old truck and save some money this time around and get 500 plus hp f/ the same money I can build this 455, but I wanted something different, I had read some things about the Olds 455, and then finally found one. After I got it, turned out that there were alot of things I liked about it,things I had no idea I'd even consider. In the mid 90s, I found the same about the 351W that I put in a '66 T-Bird. An old machinist used to off-set bore the cylinders, long story, our ran the Cleveland by a mile.
Anyway, Joe, I didn't see where that guy w/ the Cutlass started any **** at all, and don't think he was there to start any. So he had the engine and tranny f/ sale, and...
Machinery is machinery, all different f/ whatever reason. I feel the same way about guns, as I was a small arms tech in the Army f/ two tours. It was the mechanics of the automatics and semi-autos that interested me so much. There were some models and makes that were superior and some inferior, but all interesting just the same and good f/ different reasons and purposes. I appreciate mechanical devices/workings of all kinds, and IMO there are more important things in life to get shitty about. There are more things that we have in common that are positive to do w/ engines/cars, etc. than there are to get shitty w/ each other about. And I do realize that acouple of the guys are just straight out angry MFs, not just about cars. Never anything personal, Joe. Thanks f/ the reply.
Could you clue me in about the motor mounts? Thanks in advance.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
And just because the Chevy is cheaper to build, wouldn't be any reason I'd have to build one.
My comments were directed at the vast number of people who continually claim that they have to install Chevy motors in Cutlii because they are so much cheaper to build. Perhaps I should just avoid www.gbodyforum.org.

Could you clue me in about the motor mounts? Thanks in advance.
Already responded to the other thread.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
My comments were directed at the vast number of people who continually claim that they have to install Chevy motors in Cutlii because they are so much cheaper to build. Perhaps I should just avoid www.gbodyforum.org.

Already responded to the other thread.

People who are building Chevys due to it being cheaper to build need to start looking into the finer points of engine building, as by only looking at the price of the engine build, you're missing out on the beauty of the inner-workings of the internal combustion engine and the reasons one would build a certain engine f/ a certain application. That person is missing out on the best part, like having a fantastic place to swim and only riding over the top in a speed boat, never enjoying/experiencing the beautiful water itself, and how great it feels.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

People who are building Chevys due to it being cheaper to build need to start looking into the finer points of engine building, as by only looking at the price of the engine build, you're missing out on the beauty of the inner-workings of the internal combustion engine and the reasons one would build a certain engine f/ a certain application. That person is missing out on the best part, like having a fantastic place to swim and only riding over the top in a speed boat, never enjoying/experiencing the beautiful water itself, and how great it feels.
I don't disagree with you. I also will point out that yes, you can get white box Chinesium parts for Chevies very cheaply. If, however, you compare parts of the same quality, the prices aren't that different, especially BBC parts.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM

Yes Jim I get irritated when someone wants to put a Chevy in an Olds. Mainly because all I have heard for the last 25 yrs is that a SBC would make my car faster. That hasn't been the case for some time now. Most Chevy guys wouldn't believe my old 380 ran quicker than their 383s for the same money and 40 yr old iron heads.
I have owned a couple Pontiacs, 3 Fords and a whole slug of Chevelles, Novas and Impalas. BB and SBs. I am a firm believer in a Chevy motor belongs in a Chevy.......an Olds belongs in an Olds......Ford in a Ford...and etc.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM

i felt the notion to vomit there for a minute. but dude its your car.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM

FYI the OP hasn't logged on since he posted this tread. So I guess Warhead is right about the guy playing a joke on this site.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Oldsdruid

How is building a Chevy engine a cop-out?
If you're not building it for a Chevrolet, it's the biggest cop-out in the world. Esp if you're building it because 1) you're unwilling to build another brand engine, 2) you don't know HOW to build another brand engine, 3) you buy into the Chevrolet power is the only way an old car can be fast and reliable myth, 4) in streetrod/hotrod world you have absolutely no imagination, 5) you're deliberately trying to antagonize people, and so on to infinity.

And should the guy have given the Olds away f/ free because he won't use it in his own car? You're pissed off at the exact attitude, about Chevys, that you're exhibiting here, about Olds. W/ all due respect, someone pissed in your Cheerios this morning.
You, sir, are putting words in my mouth. Never said he should give it away but a grand is slightly on the high side for ANY used engine unless it's a rare piece, extremely low hours, or has a ton of receipts for work done- none of which are the case here. My opinion is he was trolling here and expecting to make out like a bandit by offering that engine on an Olds site, in addition to rubbing it in our faces that he was discarding it for the Chevrolet drivetrain. I don't play well with guys like that. The fact that he hasn't come back reinforces that idea for me.

You are entitled to your opinion and I stand by mine. A Chevrolet engine does not belong in an Oldsmobile unless the factory put it there, and I have always believed that debacle is what started GM's decline into what they are now.

For the record, my Cheerios were in 1% milk with some dried cherries on top. I've also built and raced my share of Olds, Chevy and Pontiac engines- in the brand of car in which they were originally installed. So I'm not a Chevrolet hater, but to repeat myself, I do not like the attitude that a Chevrolet engine is the solution to everything. And I see a whole lot of that attitude.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Registered Luser

Is this a Chevy site or Olds?

I am amazed at the life this thread has taken! IMO, obviously, he CAN put whatever he wants in HIS car. Nobody who has subscribed to this thread is disputing that! If the guy is truly building a Chevy engine for an Olds, and is intelligent enough to build an engine, why would he come on an OLDSMOBILE SITE, and ask a for lack of a better word, STUPID question , about what headers to use! My 4 yr old daughter would know Chevy! This question should have been posed on a Chevy site! The fact that the guy hasn't LOGGED back on since then, kind of supports what some guys are saying. It either wasn't too important(although he took the time to register, and start a thread) or he was "stirring"! I believe by the educated answers posted here, we all love all cars, pontiac, ford, chevy, etc. It's what makes us tick! It's just that on this site, we are dedicated to OLDS. I don't know about other makes sites, but I am sure this goes on there too occasionally! Probably the best way to answer the initial question, was for it not to be answered at all, and a lot of us fell into that trap, AGAIN! Perhaps if it needed to be answered, it should have been done by PM.

So I take it, a lot of guys on this site AREN'T NASCAR fans!!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by ent72olds
So I take it, a lot of guys on this site AREN'T NASCAR fans!!
Ya reckon?

Haven't had much use for NASCAR since they went to tube frame template cars. If that's a 'stock' car, I'm R.E. Olds.

Coming from someone who is smack in the middle of NASCAR roots territory...
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Ya reckon?

Haven't had much use for NASCAR since they went to tube frame template cars. If that's a 'stock' car, I'm R.E. Olds.

Coming from someone who is smack in the middle of NASCAR roots territory...
I must concur! And my real name is Daimler Benz....
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If you're not building it for a Chevrolet, it's the biggest cop-out in the world. Esp if you're building it because 1) you're unwilling to build another brand engine, 2) you don't know HOW to build another brand engine, 3) you buy into the Chevrolet power is the only way an old car can be fast and reliable myth, 4) in streetrod/hotrod world you have absolutely no imagination, 5) you're deliberately trying to antagonize people, and so on to infinity.

You, sir, are putting words in my mouth. Never said he should give it away but a grand is slightly on the high side for ANY used engine unless it's a rare piece, extremely low hours, or has a ton of receipts for work done- none of which are the case here. My opinion is he was trolling here and expecting to make out like a bandit by offering that engine on an Olds site, in addition to rubbing it in our faces that he was discarding it for the Chevrolet drivetrain. I don't play well with guys like that. The fact that he hasn't come back reinforces that idea for me.

You are entitled to your opinion and I stand by mine. A Chevrolet engine does not belong in an Oldsmobile unless the factory put it there, and I have always believed that debacle is what started GM's decline into what they are now.

For the record, my Cheerios were in 1% milk with some dried cherries on top. I've also built and raced my share of Olds, Chevy and Pontiac engines- in the brand of car in which they were originally installed. So I'm not a Chevrolet hater, but to repeat myself, I do not like the attitude that a Chevrolet engine is the solution to everything. And I see a whole lot of that attitude.
When you sell anything, you ask f/ the highest price and let someone talk you down, and then get an ok price in the end, that's regular salesmanship. He didn't come back due to angry attitudes like your's. Greed ran GM into the ground, screwing the American people by milking us f/ what they could get. And our congress, both republican and democrat alike, helped them. And if the GM factory was so correct, they'd have beaten the Japanese MFGs in the auto game. And I own only older American cars, nothing else. And you're displaying the hater attitude, just the one you don't like from an ignorant "chevy is the best" guy. And what about your attitude that what you say is the one and only right thing. I can understand a person's opinion, and I respect that, no matter what it is, but you're twisting things to make facts work f/ you, just read what you wrote twice.
And so many of you guys are using that fact that the guy didn't come back on here because he was screwing w/ you, instead of looking at the fact that you blew him out of here, and who in the hell would come back when they got that kind of crap. That's another twisted fact and a pure bullcrap thing to say. He should have known what headers fit the Cutlass w/ the Chevy engine; how about, one person said it, what Chevy has the same frame as the Cutlass, and let him know that. No, it's not just "Chevy" headers. I just can't believe the twisted stuff I've read. I'm not on either side, I'm just looking at this whole thing, and how this situation and the facts are twisted to suit a handful of you guys. Your opinions are respected, especially since this is an Olds site, but arrogance and twisted truth isn't worth anything anywhere.

And "Rocketraider, The numbered crap you replied to my reply w/ is bull. No one, especially me, is here to antagonize you or anyone else to infinity. ie; you can build a Chevy engine, but can't build another make, WTF??? Your opinion isn't freakin' gold, but you want people to take it as that, just like you DON'T want an arrogant Chevy guy to push his crap on you.
And I'll say, again, just read what you wrote, and if you can't tell that you're the pot calling the kettle black, then go on hating in others what you are yourself.
I don't mind a harmless debate or discussion, but real truth and justified facts need to be used, not twisted facts and bull***** and not shoving an attitude down someone's throat just the way you don't want the other's attitude shoved down your's.
I'm out...
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM

If old Norm comes back, he's in for it. We got a new sheriff in town.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Where is Norm? Man he would have a ball with this thread.

Personally, I hope Dan closes this one. As Forrest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that".
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:42 PM

This thread has gone enough