394 vacuum line off of pcv?

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM

394 vacuum line off of pcv?

Hello-

Just recently purchased a 63 Starfire convertible. Noticed the vacuum line is missing off of the pcv valve-passenger side valve cover. There are two ports-one big 3/4" hose that goes to the front snorkle of the air cleaner and there is a small 1/4" port that does not have a vacuum line on it. Does anyone know where this vacuum line would connect to? It is a 394 Starfire engine...
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:59 AM

Check the build thread of 62starfire63...he has lots of pics, including engine
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Oldsdruid

Depending on year it can go to a vacuum fitting at the rear of the carb throttle plate or to one on the intake manifold behind the carb.

If it's not connected to vacuum source, the plate inside the PCV valve will never rise off its seat and there is no crankcase ventilation. When the plate rises, the blowby gases get sucked into the aircleaner snout and go back thru the carb for reburn.

I always thought it was a weird design but I guess it worked in its day.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Depending on year it can go to a vacuum fitting at the rear of the carb throttle plate or to one on the intake manifold behind the carb.

If it's not connected to vacuum source, the plate inside the PCV valve will never rise off its seat and there is no crankcase ventilation. When the plate rises, the blowby gases get sucked into the aircleaner snout and go back thru the carb for reburn.

I always thought it was a weird design but I guess it worked in its day.
Just looked it up in the 63 service manual. I cannot find anything for the 394. But in the F85 section on page 8-105 it shows the pcv ventilation from the intake manifold vacuum. I guess that answers the question
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Arrow Service Manuals

Originally Posted by trackz man
Just looked it up in the 63 service manual. I cannot find anything for the 394. But in the F85 section on page 8-105 it shows the pcv ventilation from the intake manifold vacuum. I guess that answers the question
Check out what Yellowstatue said, 'cause if you were doing things step by step you would have used the Service Manual first and Classic Olds second.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Check out what Yellowstatue said, 'cause if you were doing things step by step you would have used the Service Manual first and Classic Olds second.
Thanks I did however check the service manual first with no luck and then came upon the F85 section after the information from Rocketraider appeared.

Thanks for the phone number of the person in Seattle as we were looking for a 63 yoke. We contacted John and he gave us his friend Jerry's phone number (Who owned a 63' Starfire Convertible John had sold to him several years previous) and purchased our 63' Starfire from him and got the yoke from John the same day.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM

My 63 394 Super 88 had no vacuum line going to the PCV. There is a You Tube video showing vacuum line routing on a 63 98 with PCV vac line coming off rear carb base port.
When I hook it up that way it does not just open the plate but sucks full vac out valve into valve cover.
Makes me think the valve is bad. It should just open the plate and allow crankcase to vent up into the air cleaner. Right? Other wise I just have a big vac leak with unfiltered crank case air entering carb base.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by B964
My 63 394 Super 88 had no vacuum line going to the PCV. There is a You Tube video showing vacuum line routing on a 63 98 with PCV vac line coming off rear carb base port.
When I hook it up that way it does not just open the plate but sucks full vac out valve into valve cover.
Makes me think the valve is bad. It should just open the plate and allow crankcase to vent up into the air cleaner. Right? Other wise I just have a big vac leak with unfiltered crank case air entering carb base.

I have since hooked up the vacuum line port from the back of the base of carb. It seems to work fine as the big tube goes into the front of the air filter housing...No problems since. I did find out however that the 394 that I have is out of a 62 98. So it is possible that in 63 may be different.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM

'62 !!!!

Originally Posted by trackz man
I have since hooked up the vacuum line port from the back of the base of carb. It seems to work fine as the big tube goes into the front of the air filter housing...No problems since. I did find out however that the 394 that I have is out of a 62 98. So it is possible that in 63 may be different.

Hey there trackz man; If your engine is a '62 394 the water pump housing is Cast Iron and '63-'64 394's are all Aluminum housings. Hope this let's you know what era engine you have. If you need to know the exact year of your Engine that can be explained in further detail later as it's a little more complicated......
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Hey there trackz man; If your engine is a '62 394 the water pump housing is Cast Iron and '63-'64 394's are all Aluminum housings. Hope this let's you know what era engine you have. If you need to know the exact year of your Engine that can be explained in further detail later as it's a little more complicated......
When we purchased the convertible, the seller mentioned that he had replaced the engine from a 98. I just assumed that it was from a 63. When I looked at the left cylinder head for identification it was not a J code as the 63 service manual identifies. The code was G. I just so happened to have a 62 service manual and decided to try and see if it was in there. Sure enough it is and lists it as a S88 and 98 US 4bbl 10.25:1.
It is good to know as if I ever need to replace the water pump.
What other differences are there that I may need to know, lets say for a tune-up? Any differences in plugs, cap, rotor, points etc...?