1971 Cutlass is "chugging"

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by droptopron
Man that's a money pit if it starts breaking.
This is a Lexus!
It hasn't and won't break!!!
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1971Cutlass
This is a Lexus!
It hasn't and won't break!!!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha you really think so? ha ha ha ha ha ha

I think droptopron knows better. So do most of us who have owned cars for more than a few months at a time...
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Can we bury this thread? This is ridiculous...enjoy your toyota dude, wait till your timing belt needs to be replaced.
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
In Recovery Mode

I was being sarcastic....
OF COURSE it breaks! It's a PROJECT!
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Generally speaking, you don't promote other brand projects on an Olds forum. Good luck with your new project. Might want to check with the Lexus or Toyota forums for advice though.
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM
In Recovery Mode

I already have. Thank You.
BTW, I recently saw my Cutlass I sold on the road with the "new" owners. They had sanded it and it was ready for paint. It looks good so far
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:13 PM
In Recovery Mode

I know this is an old thread bump, but I wanna update yall on what has been going on my side.
BTW, I looked back on what I said on this thread and man, ignorance at best. I was oblivious of vehicle ownership back then...and a jerk...
I still have the Lexus SC400. I have been restoring that one for the past year or so. Hasn't caused one problem yet...know it like the back of my hand now.

Also, went ahead and got a 96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. Removed, rebuilt, and replaced the 4r55e Transmission. Disassembled the entire interior, spent many many hours on it. ALmost ready for sale.

Been keeping my eyes peeled for that Cutlass but no signs of it. It's in NM...someplace...

Also, upon further investigation, that "chugging" as I entitled it, was most likely a piston sticking, or dirty fuel. (probably both).

Dropping in to say hello!
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear you are doing well.
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:49 PM
In Recovery Mode

Hi again guys, Onto a 95 Lexus SC400 now, drove home 500 miles.

Dropping by again. yeah I know, I was a moron...lol

Haven't forgotten my first forum either!
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good to hear you're doing well.

You'll have another Oldsmobile one of these days - Once you've had one, you can't stop.

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Hey kid, do you happen to know a guy named Vince Armador in Rio Rancho?
Just curious
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Glad you stopped by to let us know your still playing around with cars.
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:15 PM
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Good to hear you're doing well.

You'll have another Oldsmobile one of these days - Once you've had one, you can't stop.

- Eric
Thanks...didn't know what i was missing. Should have open headers that beast!
Originally Posted by steverw
Hey kid, do you happen to know a guy named Vince Armador in Rio Rancho?
Just curious
Sounds familiar, I recognize that name of the buyer of my Cutlass. Do you have the profile?
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Glad you stopped by to let us know your still playing around with cars.
Definitely! I've been bugging my dad to let me get another oldie classic, but I have 3 cars I'm dealing with right now so the lot is kinda full..

Thanks guys!
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds like you've grown up a lot in the past couple years, congrats. I think you can see that everything we said back then was with your best interests at heart. Enjoy your current pursuits. Hope to see you back with an Olds in the future. Why do you need your Dad's permission to own a classic? Maybe something to do with parking and having 3 cars already? Sell 2 and strike out for you classic.
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:44 PM
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sounds like you've grown up a lot in the past couple years, congrats. I think you can see that everything we said back then was with your best interests at heart. Enjoy your current pursuits. Hope to see you back with an Olds in the future. Why do you need your Dad's permission to own a classic? Maybe something to do with parking and having 3 cars already? Sell 2 and strike out for you classic.
It's Dad's yard, and we have 7 vehicles on the pavement not including the off roaders and tractors and go karts ect...the policy I go by is "If I want another car, I must sell one." Keeps the yard clean(er). Somewhat.

I'm sold to the Japanese Toyota's and Lexus's and stuck with the Fords, but I really do want another Cutlass. Now that I grasp the mechanics of everything, whereas 2 years ago I just had it to say I had a car. SMH sold it for a grand...at least the other owner is taking care of it!
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

As I read through this thread, I see you had the best pit crew guys here on CO that you could've ever imagine to help you out with your now sold cutlass. Its unfortunate that you sold such a great car. If I was on CO at the time this thread started I would have bought that car for 1K off you in a heart beat knowing I had the support for all the great guys here.
I too had some issues with my 76, it now runs better and faster then it ever did.
Thanks to the awesome guys that took the time out of their busy days to help you, helped me, I still have my olds and love it .
Best of luck with your imports along with your Ford. I hope later in life you don't regret the day you sold your 71 Olds given the support you had here. Sometimes you can have it all in front of you at an early age, then miss out given the dedication from others help, guidance, and support with strength in numbers that could have taken you further.
Something to learn here!!!
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; November 5th, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:21 AM
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by 76olds
As I read through this thread, I see you had the best pit crew guys here on CO that you could've ever imagine to help you out with your now sold cutlass. Its unfortunate that you sold such a great car. If I was on CO at the time this thread started I would have bought that car for 1K off you in a heart beat knowing I had the support for all the great guys here.
I too had some issues with my 76, it now runs better and faster then it ever did.
Thanks to the awesome guys that took the time out of their busy days to help you, helped me, I still have my olds and love it .
Best of luck with your imports along with your Ford. I hope later in life you don't regret the day you sold your 71 Olds given the support you had here. Sometimes you can have it all in front of you at an early age, then miss out given the dedication from others help, guidance, and support with strength in numbers that could have taken you further.
Something to learn here!!!
Cheers
Eric
Definitely something to learn! It's just too bad I took advantage of what I had. I'm on maybe 20 other forums at least and none of them answer as quick and give excellent information as good as this one. Club Lexus, Serious Explorations, GSM Forums, Macrumors, Miata Forums, all fall underneath Classic Oldsmobile.
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:38 PM
In Recovery Mode

Dropping in again, haven't forgotten my first forum!

Since then I have sifted through quite a few vehicles, no Oldsmobiles, unfortunately. A couple more SC400's, currently I drive a Lexus IS350. Still keeping my eyes peeled for another 72 and older Cutlass...miss the old one. Miss the smell, the carburetors, the manual fuel pumps...the memories!

Hey steverw, you mentioned that name, vince. I swear that must be the person that purchased my Cutlass. If you could may you provide his profile? I'd love to see the progress of my old boat.

Again, many thanks for the assistance in the previous years. I cringe looking at some of the crap I posted then, thanks for sticking around.

I will post here if I happen to come across another cutlass just like the one I owned before.
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Glad your still doing well. Good luck in your quest.
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I worked for lexus for 3 years as a bodyman. Nice cars. Miss working on them lol but i enjoy working for an independent shop 3 blocks from my house .
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:02 PM

Hey 1971Cutlass, If you ever get another Olds feel free to give me a shout if you need any help. Or any other vehicle for that matter. I have been a gearhead since I was old enough to look over the fender to watch my Dad work on cars. I live in Cedar Crest but I have a niece in RR and often work out there too. I am s l o w l y working on my '67 Cutlass convertible, I bought it out there in Rio Rancho! Since it is my second one, I am hooked on Oldsmobiles.