1970 442 w30 needs help.

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM

1970 442 w30 needs help.

1st I hope i have this in the right spot if not im sorry. I have a 70 olds 442 w30 455 4 speed car that belonged to my uncle from 1972 till i bought it . It was in storage and unseen from 1985 till 2011. The cars was a driver and street racer build by him and still has his setup on it. Here's what I have a 1970 455 block 30 over with 13 to 1 compression F head's with about 300 miles on them after valve job in 1983. The cam is in the 500 area i belive [ he cant remember now ] it bearly idels at 1100 on tac , timing is 4 btc bottom end is built to but dont know how much . he ran a 1250 holley and a magneto setup on it thin and it was a wild ride to, that is all gone now it has a 650 holley square bore on it and stock distribetor now the problem is no power, climes to 5 grand nice and quick but wont spin tires [ 391 posi ] . When we brought it home we pulled valve cover's, plug's pulled oil in cylinders and let set for a few day's did same to lifter's rocker's and any thang that oil touched we taped all valves to make none were stuck [ no were ] in the engine, we then worked the crank back and forth till full rotation thim about 50 rotations later we drained and changed oil and filter did tune up and replaced starter [ stuck ] [ fule pump bad ] it was stubborn but started and kept running with other help like 114 octan fuel with lead. After a few trips down the road and a 1/2 tank of gas we let it set for a few week's thin one day we started it up and wow a smoke bomb after it ran a minute or two it smoked for a minuteor so then quit's and now it dose it on start up's only none on street. any help with the problem's mentioned above would be grately appreciated . thank you. please give me time to reply i am paralyzed from shoulder's down [ CAR WRECK IN 1982 hit by drunks ] so im a bit slow to answer back. just to repeat qustion's are listed below.
1 - what carbrator ?
2 - what about magneto ?
3 - what about the smoking ?
4 - what about timming and no power ?
All part's are factory like head's code F, block 30 over intake stock w30 alum. distribtor stock point's typ. thank's guy's sorry its long.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Do you want to use this on the street or the dragstrip? Unless all you want to do is trailer it to the drags, I'd get rid of the 13:1 pistons for something closer to stock. Smoking on startup sounds like bad valve seals. The 650 cfm carb should be plenty for the street. The timing is retarded.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM

Cool car and sorry to hear about your medical condition.... At times it is hard to diagnose problems in a forum like this. Timing should be set at 10-13 degrees. A cam like that needs all the advance timing it can get. 13 to1 compresson if true is way too much for a driver. A 650 carb should be fine. Smoking may be due to valve guides/seals or could be stuck rings since you said crank was stuck. A engine sitting for so long should probably be disassembled and cleaned and evaluated. While you are in there lower the compression and get a streetable cam and the engine and car will perform nicely.
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:15 AM

If it has sat that long,it really should be taken apart,running or not,as there might be something unseen or unheard that could eventually lead the engine to eat itself,thus cause more problems.
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=Oldsmaniac;404176]Cool car and sorry to hear about your medical condition.... At times it is hard to diagnose problems in a forum like this. Timing should be set at 10-13 degrees. A cam like that needs all the advance timing it can get. 13 to1 compresson if true is way too much for a driver. A 650 carb should be fine. Smoking may be due to valve guides/seals or could be stuck rings since you said crank was stuck. A engine sitting for so long should probably be disassembled and cleaned and evaluated. While you are in there lower the compression and get a streetable cam and the engine and car will perform nicely.[/QUOT]
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Cool car and sorry to hear about your medical condition.... At times it is hard to diagnose problems in a forum like this. Timing should be set at 10-13 degrees. A cam like that needs all the advance timing it can get. 13 to1 compresson if true is way too much for a driver. A 650 carb should be fine. Smoking may be due to valve guides/seals or could be stuck rings since you said crank was stuck. A engine sitting for so long should probably be disassembled and cleaned and evaluated. While you are in there lower the compression and get a streetable cam and the engine and car will perform nicely.
Thank you for your help. We will take care of the timing this weekend and see if it help's . As for compression we are running 114 octan fuel with lead and it seems to do ok best i can tell for now. The crank was'nt stuck we were just being safe with the ring's in case they may have been stuck or incase of rust in the cylinder's . As for disassembling it that may happen later on this year. And we will drop the Compression then to. Dean
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Old School Olds

Good luck Dean. Sounds like a great project!
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:31 AM

I agree with 507olds. if it sat that long it is very possible that a lot of the rings are stuck in the piston grooves and not sealing properly. the 650 will let it run fine in the low end but with that compression and cubic inch it is going to run out pretty quick so if it lays down around 5000 it is probably at its limit. as was asked what do you want out of the car. if you are just going to run at the track then pull it apart and at the least hone it and rering it. if you actually want to use it pull the pistons and get the compression down to the 9:1 area. my 454 chevy in my boat is 13.2 to 1 with a .700 lift solid roller and it runs a tunnel ram with two 660's to let it pull to 7000. all said, I think you are way ahead to pull it apart and see what cam, etc as technology has changed alot over the years so if all is sound you could build a nicer running motor for limited money and not fight a lot of little issues.