17 year old needs help with his 442!!

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM

you should be able to have that turned...
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM

That bearing looks like foreign material is deposited in it. Were the oil passages in the crankshaft cleaned out after being cut? For that matter was the whole block cleaned? Oil passages, lifter galleys, etc. etc.

Also, there is a little metal baffle under the oil filler tube that is wedged into the block. It's there for a reason. It stops oil from being thrown up the oil fill tube by the timing chain. Many shops will remove this during machining and not put it back.
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM

Heres my .02 cents, with only 50k on the motor, it should have been left alone, I pulled the factory bearings out of my 455 with 90k on it, and they were beautiful, we put them back in, because the factory material is like kryptonite. when you have oil shooting out of your vent, and leaving oil on the intake, you are most likely not going to foul a plug, because the gases are entering the crankcase do to what is most likely a inproperly gapped ring, a bad ring, or if it got hot, a low tension ring. oil only starts entering the cylinder when you lose all your crosshatching along with ring tension. but since your engine is new, crosshatching isnt a concern. As far as number 8 rod bearing, I have read multiple articles on GM v8's losing number 8 rod bearing when they are low on oil, or having oil pressure issues, if your engine had dirt in the oiling system that wasnt cleaned out, that could be the cause. on the other hand, on a new engine, baby that thing for 500 miles at least! I know its hard, especially with a 4 speed. but its worth it in the long run to give it a good initial break in, and then baby the engine for as long as you can after that. It helps if you keep girls out of the car Good luck with your engine repair though. these things can take a lot of abuse. your a pretty lucky guy to have a 4 speed 400 car.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM

Nice car...tough luck on the Motor. I am in San Antonio and been building Olds engines for years. If you need anything let me know...#7 and #8 Rod Bearings will be the first to go, but from the pics I think your crankshaft can be re-turned... I'll help any way I can. 210-573-3102

Danny