Starting problem (97 4.0 V8)

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Starting problem (97 4.0 V8)

Finally got the starter put in yesterday, but it wouldn't start. Put the charger on it (35 amps) and forgot about it over night.

Went out this morning and it turned over like it was 80 degrees out. Took a couple tries, but it finally started.

As I was rolling up the cord to the charger, the dang thing died. Now it refuses to start. The motor rolls over good and acts like it wants to start, but it just won't quite start.

It kinda acts like its not getting enough fuel, but I don't know how or where to check.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM

Is there a check engine light illuminated?

When you turn the key to the run position after the car has been sitting over night you should hear the fuel pump run for a moment or two as it pressurizes the system. IF you don't hear the fuel pump run then it might be bad. You can check fuel pressure at the injectors in the engine bay with a fuel pressure gauge. There is a schraeder valve on the fuel line going to the fuel injectors.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:28 AM

The weather has finally straightened out enough to work on the car (no garage).

Since it was cold when we changed out the starter, I figured that we didn't do something right when we put it all back together.

So, we took it apart again and checked everything. We found that there was some sludge/grease/dirt that prevented the intake gaskets from sealing and the gasket on the spring loaded 'flipper plate' on the end of the intake had unseated itself when it was backfiring when we tried starting it.

We got everything cleaned up and reinstalled correctly.

The car starts and runs fine now.

My son found a repair manual on e-bay. It's a CD that runs in my computer, so that helped a lot.