1970 442 W30 Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:29 PM

1970 442 W30 Barn Find

New to the forum and just getting started with this project. Thanks to everyone up front for the mass of knowledge here already.

After 34 years of sitting and some basic maintenance before starting it up we drove it around the block today. We just had a helicoil insert done on the carb to get it all the way up and running. Next speed bump we've run into is a leaky radiator - looking for feedback on whether or not they are worth having repaired.

See the gallery here:
http://imgur.com/a/9B8wx

I'll continue to add photos to that gallery as we go. Comments/Questions welcome!

Update:
I didn't expect folks to be so quick to ask more about! We've held the title on it for about a year now. It was abandoned in a storage building that is owned by my family. It was originally put in to storage back in 1978 with 76K miles on it. It was put into storage with all the service documentation so I also know that it only had one previous owner. It was also stored with all the original parts in it (that are missing in the photos) and good set of replacement chrome still in the original GM packaging. Interior is in very good condition as well, drivers seat is about the only thing that has been damaged. When we got it running and out of the building today that gave us a chance to get the rest of the dirt washed off so I'll go back over tomorrow and get some better pictures to share.

Last edited by randomarrival; June 2nd, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: More Info!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM

Very nice! how long have you had it and where did you find it?

welcome to CO.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well now that's a find.

Congratulations and welcome!

- Eric
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

Nice find - what's the whole story??
Where, how'd you find it, was it a deal, miles, condition, etc.????
You gave us a tease!!!!!!!!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Old School Olds

Some guys have all the luck!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Some guys have all the luck!
X2
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:02 PM

Welcome to the site! What a cool car!!! Please tell us more about it when you have time. John
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard! Very cool find and looks to be in very good shape. Took me a minute to figure out that yellow thing was a snake light.

If the rad has a leak, it's worth trying to restore. Looks like a 4 core from the pics. Is the damage on the right side by the hose connection?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:59 AM

Very nice car!!!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:08 AM
Ice

Wow!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM

I just finished adding some more photos to the gallery.

Can anyone give me some info on it from the body tag?
http://imgur.com/a/9B8wx#14

As for the radiator, we didn't really track down the source of the leak. It wasn't really easy to spot. Any suggestions for identifying how bad the damage is and getting it repaired? There's a good photo of the radiator out of the car here - http://imgur.com/a/9B8wx#15

I'm also about to track down a new set of tires for it - it looks like the two common original flavors would be the Goodyear Poly Glass and Firestone Wide Ovals. Would both of these be suitable replacements aiming for a proper restoration?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM

I'm also curious if this will be able to tell me anything else about it...

http://imgur.com/a/9B8wx#28

Thanks for the help!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, it confirms your paint code as special order Sebring Yellow (#51) and your interior as black with buckets (#930) as original for your body number (on your trim tag).

- Eric
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:00 AM
car guy

ultimate find ....congrats and welcome to the site
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM

glad to see you are from Indiana. you have a great car. maybe after you have it done you could meet up with some of us for a cruse in in Indy.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by randomarrival
New to the forum and just getting started with this project. Thanks to everyone up front for the mass of knowledge here already.

After 34 years of sitting and some basic maintenance before starting it up we drove it around the block today. We just had a helicoil insert done on the carb to get it all the way up and running. Next speed bump we've run into is a leaky radiator - looking for feedback on whether or not they are worth having repaired.

See the gallery here:
http://imgur.com/a/9B8wx

I'll continue to add photos to that gallery as we go. Comments/Questions
welcome!

Nice car. also love the color. i had a 71 chevelle that was yellow 350/350 slapstick.

Update:
I didn't expect folks to be so quick to ask more about! We've held the title on it for about a year now. It was abandoned in a storage building that is owned by my family. It was originally put in to storage back in 1978 with 76K miles on it. It was put into storage with all the service documentation so I also know that it only had one previous owner. It was also stored with all the original parts in it (that are missing in the photos) and good set of replacement chrome still in the original GM packaging. Interior is in very good condition as well, drivers seat is about the only thing that has been damaged. When we got it running and out of the building today that gave us a chance to get the rest of the dirt washed off so I'll go back over tomorrow and get some better pictures to share.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM

Sweet......I wonder why I can never find anything close to that in a barn????
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM

That Sebring Yellow makes one good-lookin' car. I'm a small-block guy at heart, but you gotta a good one there. That has to be a RARE W-30. Any supporting documentation? And on the tires--I'm partial to the Goodyears. If you find some factory build sheets, line sheets, etc. that may help in your ultimate decision. Lansing cars are "said" to "never" contain build sheets, but I learned to "never" say "never".
Welcome to the site.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
That Sebring Yellow makes one good-lookin' car. I'm a small-block guy at heart, but you gotta a good one there. That has to be a RARE W-30. Any supporting documentation? And on the tires--I'm partial to the Goodyears. If you find some factory build sheets, line sheets, etc. that may help in your ultimate decision. Lansing cars are "said" to "never" contain build sheets, but I learned to "never" say "never".
Welcome to the site.
Dave -

I believe this is the build sheet - http://imgur.com/a/9B8wx#28

Please correct me if I should be keeping an eye out for something different. It's hard to make out some of the info but it's still possible to read.

I've also got all the service records and state inspection sheets for it up until it was put into storage. What other kind of supporting documents should I be on the lookout for?

Last edited by randomarrival; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:19 PM

It appears to be a portion of a factory sheet. From what I can see the color, interior, and radio choice is shown. The "elusive Lansing build sheet" would be much bigger and have the option codes, dealer to whom the car was delivered to from Lansing
(not necessarily the selling dealer--could have been a dealer exchange), and much more pertinent info. The build sheet is sometimes hidden under seats, in the seats, under the dash, under the carpet, on the top of the gas tank. behind door panels, I've
even found behind the sail panels. Many people have to remember a couple of things regarding build sheets and other factory paperwork---when these cars were built that paperwork wasn't NEARLY as important then as it is now. When the cars left the factory, MANY different people were in those cars before they were sold and often times the paperwork was discarded. The car hauler drivers, the dealer-prep technicians, the dealer clean-up department, salesman, and the original buyers all had a CHANCE to make rid of that paperwork. It was basically trash in the car back then and many, many times it didn't stay with the car. I know because I work for a new car dealer (have for 31 years now, and YES it was an Olds dealer at one time), and I threw that stuff away a LOT.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM

Anyone else notice the red inner fenders?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
"Car"mudgeon

70 34487LAN383624
930 - -
03A

70 = 1970
34487 = 442 Holiday Coupe
LAN = Lansing Michigan Assembly Plant
383624 = Fisher Body Unit Number (No correlation to VIN)
930 = Black Themed Interior With Strato Bucket Seats
- - = Special Order Paint (Upper & Lower Color) Sebring Yellow (51 51) per the broadcast card
03A = 1st week of March 1970 Build Date for Fisher Body

Last edited by GAOldsman; June 3rd, 2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: oops
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by raw442
Anyone else notice the red inner fenders?
Yep as well as W30 on the braodcast card
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
03A = 1st week of March 1972 Build Date for Fisher Body
Wow Scot, that's a leap of faith. The broadcast card says March 02 but I believe that would be 1970 not 72. The first box is the 'SEQ' number, then 'Mon' then 'Day'
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Wow Scot, that's a leap of faith. The broadcast card says March 02 but I believe that would be 1970 not 72. The first box is the 'SEQ' number, then 'Mon' then 'Day'
Good catch Allan it's fixed That is one BAD @$$ car IMO
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Trying to remember member

Dave -

Please correct me if I should be keeping an eye out for something different. It's hard to make out some of the info but it's still possible to read.
Just to clarify, that is the complete Fisher Body broadcast card. If it does say W30 there and is a match to your car, it confirms 100% that the car is an original W30.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Old School Olds

70 w-30

Dave -

I've also got all the service records and state inspection sheets for it up until it was put into storage. What other kind of supporting documents should I be on the lookout for?
Any updates on this bad boy?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Any updates on this bad boy?
We're still slowly working on her - starting with functionality and slowly working in cosmetic pieces here and there. Working on peddling a 57 Chevy to cover a proper paint job but we've got to get some things moved around in the shop to get that one out.

Recently chased a fuel supply issue (replacing just about everything) and she's still starving for gas at the top end a bit, may be something else (possibly the distributor or timing) but that's where we're at for the moment. Also recently had the seats recovered and cleaned out the interior.

I keep adding photos to the gallery linked in my signature and I'm happy to answer any questions. I have found three broadcast cards now so I'm not sure if you can get much better credence than that in combination with the service logs.

Last edited by randomarrival; March 4th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:22 PM

Sweet.. A super Find !!!!!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM

Really really nice. Hard to believe these finds are still coming out of the closet. Thanks for sharing and keep us up to date on your progress.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:42 PM

Nice find.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM

Tremendous find. Congrats. One of my all time favorite color combos.

Email me some pics and info on the '57 you have for sale.

We're still slowly working on her - starting with functionality and slowly working in cosmetic pieces here and there. Working on peddling a 57 Chevy to cover a proper paint job but we've got to get some things moved around in the shop to get that one out.

Recently chased a fuel supply issue (replacing just about everything) and she's still starving for gas at the top end a bit, may be something else (possibly the distributor or timing) but that's where we're at for the moment. Also recently had the seats recovered and cleaned out the interior.

I keep adding photos to the gallery linked in my signature and I'm happy to answer any questions. I have found three build sheets now so I'm not sure if you can get much better credence than that in combination with the service logs.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:09 PM

WOW!! Were you like when you found it??

The OEM chrome pieces and stuff in the trunk are worth more than my entire '72 Cutlass Supreme!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:43 PM
72Cutlass S

Wow! very nice, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous. Enjoy her she looks great!

Last edited by gs72; March 17th, 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Oops, misspelled jealous!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:19 PM

I have found three build sheets now
, Those are broadcast cards, this is a pic of a buildsheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
%2770%20buildsheet.jpg (152.6 KB, 68 views)
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
, Those are broadcast cards, this is a pic of a buildsheet.
Ahh yes, you are correct - my slip-up there.