Will my 69 442 lose value with hp parts

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2018, 06:58 AM

Will my 69 442 lose value with hp parts

Will my 1969 442 with original numbers matching stock 400 big block lose value if I install HO Aluminum Heads, Air Gap or Edlebrock Aluminum Intake, custom ground cam, lifters, chromolly push rods, stainless steel long tube headers, double roll timing chain, Barry Grant demon carb 700 cfm four barrel with mechanical secondaries?

Thanks!
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:19 AM

To some people the addition of anything not stock or original could be something that hurts value. To other people it is an upgrade. As long as you save the original parts to stay with the car it can always be put back together with the original parts. The originality as far as block, trans, are key factors when selling a classic that is advertised as original or numbers matching, other parts are date code correct but may not be tied to the V.I.N. of the car.
Some cars are rare, real low mile, original paint, unrestored originals and those cars I would not alter, others need to be restored. As they say " they're only original once"
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Does your car have any other aftermarket parts on it? If you are concerned about keeping things original I wouldn't make all of those modifications.
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:32 AM
71 cutlass convertible

It would hurt the value with some and help with others. I would save your original parts so they could be put back on in the future. In this case do what you want. The biggest loss of value would happen if you blew the motor. Maybe pull the motor and build a kick butt 455 and install. my.02
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM

thats what i would do.those 400's don't grow on trees,455's are still pretty plentiful.pull the 400 prep it put on engine dolly and put it under the bench.i have a 1970 chevy ls5 454 and a 1970 toro gt engine setting under my bench just waiting for bodies.iowa cars are in general rust buckets.
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:45 AM

I quess motor can be rebuilt if it goes, I would love to put a 455 in it and store the 400, but money is a factor now after purchasing all these parts, i did not think much of it at the time 6 months ago, just haven't had time to install, its not all original as far as interior or paint, drive train is, so thanks for the comments, that does answear my question,ques I will continue with the mild custom mod build.

Thanks!
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's difficult to predict the insanity at big name auctions, where booze-fueled buyer pay more for clones than for real cars, but TYPICALLY, an all stock musclecar will hold value better than a modified one. You likely won't get your money back on the mods, for one thing. Of course, once you pull the original heads off your "numbers matching" motor, it isn't original any more. Your car, your money, your call.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:24 AM
delete

As long as you don't do anything that can't be reversed you shouldn't affect the value of the car too greatly but you would lose $$ on parts and any labor you pay.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the long stroke 400 is a low end torque monster but doesn't like to rev all that much. Don't make any changes that will be in conflict with the nature of the engine
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks, i am aware of the over reving killing it quickly, i have an alarm buzzer set at 5000 rpms, build ding it for low end torque, now she is slow on take off, probably because of the 307 duration of the cam, and low lift, shes not going to the track at all, just a streeter with some cool burnouts ever so often is all I want.
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Its your to do with what you want. Its like a guy marrying a virgin, yet he saves her for the next guy... Enjoy the car.
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by barryrsmith
custom ground cam, lifters, chromolly push rods,
double roll timing chain,
No one would ever know those parts were installed unless they disassembled the engine (assuming the custom cam wasn't a wildly radical grind).
Old January 11th, 2018, 04:19 AM

I would find a 455 and build it. If it takes 6 months to save the money so be it. Pull the 400 G engine after a fresh oil change, fog the cylinders with your choice of lubricant, back off the rockers. Then install the 455. Jmo.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by barryrsmith
Thanks, i am aware of the over reving killing it quickly, i have an alarm buzzer set at 5000 rpms, build ding it for low end torque, now she is slow on take off, probably because of the 307 duration of the cam, and low lift, shes not going to the track at all, just a streeter with some cool burnouts ever so often is all I want.
over rev it and throw a rod out the side.you ain't rebuildin that.heres a thought.find a 400 that needs rebuilding.as your gonna change heads,cam,intake and carb anyway.all thats left is the short block.
Old January 15th, 2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Its your to do with what you want. Its like a guy marrying a virgin, yet he saves her for the next guy... Enjoy the car.
HA! Too funny! But how acurate....
Old January 15th, 2018, 05:48 PM

I would say yes, especially since the '69 442 has the original unmodified 400 engine which is rarely seen today. Many 68 & 69 442's lost their engines with a swap to a 425 or 455 - due to the original engine detonating or the owner wanting more cubes - and the original engine being lost to a junkyard.
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Commenting on this subject is like hitting a hornets nest with a stick. My comments are jmo. I was into Chevys back in the 1960s. The one guy at the steel mill I worked at had a 1968 or 69 442. I remember him saying he "blew it up" a couple of times. Basically "in the heat of the battle street racing" he over rev'd it spinning a bearing/bearings. The G block small bores probably don't utilize the iron C heads potential so putting Edelbrock heads (beside the weight savings) isn't (imo) a performance boost. Without writing a book, I would find a 455, even if it was a stock bore, preferably a 1968/1970 short block and rebuild it with your 'performance' parts. The larger bores and extra cubic inches will give you more "bang" for the buck. Mothball the original engine. Jmo
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:55 AM

There just bolt on parts that can be removed and replaced with originals again if wanted. If your selling the car, i would not change it, but if your keeping it then who cares? Do what you want with it. I think i would go with the better 455 and keep the 400.