Trans Am Style 69-72

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Trans Am Style 69-72

Does anyone have any pictures of Trans Am racing style 68-72 either recent or period?

looking for inspiration for a build
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:36 PM

What exactly are you looking for? The 67-69 cars were mostly the same, then the body style changed in 1970. The 67-69 cars don't really look anything like the 70-up cars.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
What exactly are you looking for? The 67-69 cars were mostly the same, then the body style changed in 1970. The 67-69 cars don't really look anything like the 70-up cars.
I’ll take anything I can get at this point, as I haven’t been able to find any pictures of any 442 on a road course.
My car is a 69 but I think the build may be based off a 68 instead.
Old September 28th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

TransAm rules required a ponycar body - Camaro, Mustang, Javelin, etc. Olds did not produce such a car, so you will be hard pressed to find a photo of a nonexistent race car.
Old September 29th, 2017, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
TransAm rules required a ponycar body - Camaro, Mustang, Javelin, etc. Olds did not produce such a car, so you will be hard pressed to find a photo of a nonexistent race car.

I am aware that no such car raced in the Trans Am series but that doesn’t mean that something of the sort is non-existent
Old September 29th, 2017, 03:36 AM

check vintage scca might have something
Old September 29th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

The original question was about photos of Oldsmobiles in TransAm racing. If your question is about pictures of Oldsmobiles in OTHER types of road racing, that is a different question.
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:30 PM

The original question was about photos of Oldsmobiles in TransAm racing. If your question is about pictures of Oldsmobiles in OTHER types of road racing, that is a different question.
My original post said trans am STYLE olds race car. But yes I guess I’d like to see any pictures of Oldsmobiles road racing
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hunterg
My original post said trans am STYLE olds race car. But yes I guess I’d like to see any pictures of Oldsmobiles road racing
Not trying to be difficult here, but TransAm is a specific STYLE of racing. Olds never participated in TransAm racing since they didn't build cars that could qualify. Again, there is no such thing as a "TransAm style" Oldsmobiles.

A few people DID build Oldsmobiles for road racing under different sanctioning bodies and rules. Photos of those are rare but do exist.
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

This is NASCAR style, not TransAm.
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Not trying to be difficult here, but TransAm is a specific STYLE of racing. Olds never participated in TransAm racing since they didn't build cars that could qualify. Again, there is no such thing as a "TransAm style" Oldsmobiles.

A few people DID build Oldsmobiles for road racing under different sanctioning bodies and rules. Photos of those are rare but do exist.
I would consider trans am to be more of a sanctioning body of racing rather than a style of racing. What I was trying to simply describe was a homologation type of olds race car rather than a pro touring style or a prototype style of race car that you typically find when searching for road race cars.
Old September 29th, 2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hunterg

I am aware that no such car raced in the Trans Am series but that doesn’t mean that something of the sort is non-existent
Sharp photo. Do you the driver of the Cutlass? There was driver in NASCAR who was semi-successful in a Cutlass. Remember reading about him in Motor Trend magazines back in 70-71, but could never find the information again.
Old October 4th, 2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Sharp photo. Do you the driver of the Cutlass? There was driver in NASCAR who was semi-successful in a Cutlass. Remember reading about him in Motor Trend magazines back in 70-71, but could never find the information again.
No I’m not the driver of that car, I wish..Unfortunately I can’t find any information on it either, hoping someone around here can tell some stories or scrounge up some old road racing pictures
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:59 AM

look for the Baja images. Here is James Gardner's car he raced
Old October 5th, 2017, 08:23 PM

Was James Garner privy to special developmental racing engine parts not available to the public?
Old October 11th, 2017, 08:05 PM

Trans Am is a road racing style event....

The 'Trans-Am series' was created in 1966 by Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) President John Bishop. Originally known as the Trans-American Sedan Championship, the name was changed to the Trans-American Championship for 1967 and henceforth.The series has in fact gone by a variety of different names through the years (too many to list), some linked to sponsors, some not. It has evolved over time from its original format as a Manufacturers' Championship series for modified passenger sedans and Coupés to its current form as a Drivers' / Manufacturers' Championship Series that is open to GT style racecars. Champion drivers have been officially recognized, and Drivers' Championships awarded since the 1972 season.

Over the years, the series has raced on a variety of different types of race tracks (Permanent and temporary road courses / street circuits / airport circuits) all over the country, as well as at venues in Canada, Mexico, and even San Juan, Puerto Rico in 2003. Since 2015, Trans Am has been a national series (Continental U.S. only), racing at tracks primarily throughout the East Coast, South, and Midwest. Since the 2017 season, the stand-alone West Coast Championship Series has raced at four tracks—three on the West Coast, and one in Texas that is a 'shared event' with the Trans Am Championship Series. Each Championship Series is independent of the other.

The Colonnade style seems to be a more popular platform for road racing.

Last edited by 70-Olds-442-convt; October 11th, 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Yes he was it didn't work out for him but he ran a aluminum block at one point
look for the Baja images. Here is James Gardner's car he raced