1972 442 v code convertible

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:58 PM

1972 442 v code convertible

Vin 3j67v2m
trim tag 72 34267lan
tr 970 14 b pnt
10d a51

I've seen from terry's site there were about 66 built. I'm wondering if that includes both the cutlass supremes and 442s.

the car is in very poor condition. The motor and trans are both gone. The correct 3.23 rear end is there. The rear frame braces are there, and the boxed lower control arms, but the sway bar is gone.

the odometer reads 95k miles. My guess is this car has been off the road for decades. The floors have patch panels. It looks like the car was pushed outside and sat under a cedar tree for years. At this point the patch panels need patch panels.

the trunk floor needs replaced. Both quarters need serious attention. The frame is very solid as are the rocker panels. It's missing the door panels, rear seat, the passenger door, and the convertible pinch weld stainless.

the front clip is off. It has the correct 4 core radiator. The air dam and thus the brace on the bottom are both gone. One fender has original 442 holes. The other fender has no holes whatsoever. Not f85, cutlass s, supreme, or even vista cruiser. I think it's actually an nos fender. By that I mean it's probably nos that was primered then placed upside down in a mud puddle for an extended period of time.

sadly these are probably the nicest original bucket seats I've ever seen. The dash is uncut. The ash tray door isn't even broken.

options:
W29 442
v code 455 with m20 4. Speed
3.23 rear end
notched rear bumper
power disc brakes
power steering
air conditioning
rally pac
sport wheel
ss1 rallys
convertible
Bumper guards
tinted glass

silver pewter poly paint code 14 with black interior and black top. Unsure about side stripe color.

Basically the car needs a complete frame off resto.

given the rarity of the car but also the condition of the car is it even worth restoring?

​​​
​​​
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'd certainly restore it. The good news is that the 70-72 cars are well supported with patch panels, including full quarters. FYI, all 1972 convertibles were Supremes. The 442 was only an option package that year.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:17 AM
delete

If the question is financial, the best you would do is probably break even. It will never be a numbers matching car. Would you be doing it yourself or farming it out?
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:58 AM

I have no idea where you are from but here in Chicago that car is clse to mint. Seriously it looks like a good starting place. It will always cost you more than you think 2 - 2.5 times, but if you like the car get it at a good price a 72 Vcode convertible is a great car. Just need to decide if you want the headaches and cost that will build up or spend more than you think up front for a car in way better condition.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:46 PM

thanks for the input guys. I'm in Seattle. For us the rust is pretty bad. Not the worst i've ever seen, but pretty close. I made the post from my phone and didn't include any direct pics of the floors/quarters to show the extent of the damage.

I've been trying to figure out why exactly the car was ever taken off the road. My buddy pointed to the NOS passenger fender, the fact it has no passenger door, the flattened passenger quarter panel, and missing original front bumper as the likely cause. The core support, cowl, frame, suspension, and passenger rocker all look good, but maybe they were playing demolition derby with the passenger side of the car vs a jersey barrier back in 79 or some such. Looking at the dash and the seats the car appears that it was super nice when it was taken out of circulation. I'm just not sure.

I'm thinking it would cost 50k+ to make the car nice. When I say nice I mean nut and bolt restoration nice including buying/installing those NOS GM fenders on ebay for 2k. That kind of nice. The non-number's matching part will certainly hurt the value of the car, and it will be all but impossible to find the correct air cleaner or core support bracing.

If the car is only worth say 35-40k done and it cost 50k to build it then it would make more sense just to buy one.

I've owned tons 65-72s, but never a V code car. Generally I have a very good feel for what they are worth, but this one escapes me. I'm trying to balance the poor condition against the extremely low production numbers, the nice set of options, and the great color combination.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:45 PM

The 66 number does include the W-29s. I just found an air deflector reinforcement piece for my current V Code after 15 years of searching - it actually found me through my Olds connections. (My other three V Codes were all missing this piece too). The correct dual snorkel air cleaners pop up pretty regularly for $250-$300 since they were used on many 1971 442s as well. I think that car looks very restorable. Good luck!
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:07 AM

You won't see another one for a long long time.
'72 was a strike year for GM but '72 455s with Ga heads aren't too hard to find and don't cost much. Or just find some Ga heads, probably only $150 and put them on any old F block. (Purists horrified). Every local Craigslist has Muncies for sale.
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:18 AM

The Ga heads on V Codes and W-30s were built to different specs than other Ga heads but externally it won't make much of a difference.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by android 211
You won't see another one for a long long time.
'72 was a strike year for GM but '72 455s with Ga heads aren't too hard to find and don't cost much. Or just find some Ga heads, probably only $150 and put them on any old F block. (Purists horrified). Every local Craigslist has Muncies for sale.
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:01 AM

v code

I believe picture of fire wall indicates non ac car. Picture of interior indicates ac car. There is no opening for evaporator air flow. Am I seeing wrong?
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by don1972
I believe picture of fire wall indicates non ac car. Picture of interior indicates ac car. There is no opening for evaporator air flow. Am I seeing wrong?
they welded in a panel on the firewall.they were in the process of converting it to a non ac car.there was a non ac heater box from a 68/69 loosely fitted under the dash. They had also removed the brake booster. There was a brand new manual brake master cylinder sitting in the car. They were going to make it manual brakes.
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by don1972
The firewall doesn't have the correct cutouts for a heater-only car either. It's hard to tell in that photo, but it appears that a previous owner started welding plates over the firewall holes.

You are correct that the heater core barbs are in the location for a heater-only heater core, but it almost looks to me like someone was trying to (incorrectly) convert this car to heater-only. Alternately, the dash may have been replaced.
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:55 PM

DoubleUThirty, could you please PM me the VIN and any owner history that you know so I can add this one to my registry? I will be doing a major site update soon. I will not make the VIN public. Thanks!
Terry
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:15 PM
MOTORHEAD

cool money pit

welcome to v code land
I have one of the supreme hard tops
orig block on hand and orig trans in the olds
Have tried to advertise it for sale a few times and was not able get a break even money offer.So , I keep spending money on it.. OH WELL I am happy to own my car
so I put an L69 tri carb on it

I hope you
or someone else saves that car

ALL THE BEST

If it had an X in the VIN.......
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:46 PM

@terry
info sent via pm

@11971442

Thanks! They just keep going up in value so there's no harm in keeping and enjoying them.

Having done lots of due diligence in recent days the car will definitely be built. It's only a matter of who does the building.

It's very interesting that I happened across Terry's V code registry years ago. The magic of the interwebs led me to his site. I don't even know what I was looking for at the time.

I've owned dozens of 65-72s including many rare 442s, a rallye 350, a viking blue 71w30, a 72 H/O, but never a V-code car. I've seen many OAI air cleaners but never a V-code dual snorkel in person. I marvel at those super rare options. I had a 70 SX with nite watch (but had zero other options) and a 68 floor shift car with safety sentinel.

The car is super cool. I sanded the trunk lid and driver's quarter today to remove all the body filler from someone's high school auto shop class. I was very interested in seeing whether the trunk lid (which is convertible/4 door only) had the 20 holes for the "oldsmobile" script or if it was just the 6 holes for the "442" emblems. I'm pretty sure the trunk lid is original to the car. The panel alignment is very nice. I also wanted to see if the quarter had the holes/studs for the cutlass supreme side trim. It does not.

Old May 8th, 2017, 06:54 AM
MOTORHEAD

v code

Terry's site turned me on to the air cleaner and other info on the v codes. Greg Mross was kind enough to send me a copy of the letter he was sent from Oldsmobile stating the production numbers for the cars.

Over the years I purchased 3 of the dual snorkel air cleaners. Trying to get the nicest one possible. Selling off 2 of the others along the way. I still have one. It is not perfect but pretty nice. I bought a different top lid and blasted and painted it. Now, It is collecting dust in the basement these days as I currently have the 3 2 barrel carbs. If you would like to buy it let me know.

all the best
b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 air cleaner 001.JPG (619.8 KB, 17 views)
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:08 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by doubleUthirty
@terry
info sent via pm

@11971442

Thanks! They just keep going up in value so there's no harm in keeping and enjoying them.

Having done lots of due diligence in recent days the car will definitely be built. It's only a matter of who does the building.

It's very interesting that I happened across Terry's V code registry years ago. The magic of the interwebs led me to his site. I don't even know what I was looking for at the time.

I've owned dozens of 65-72s including many rare 442s, a rallye 350, a viking blue 71w30, a 72 H/O, but never a V-code car. I've seen many OAI air cleaners but never a V-code dual snorkel in person. I marvel at those super rare options. I had a 70 SX with nite watch (but had zero other options) and a 68 floor shift car with safety sentinel.

The car is super cool. I sanded the trunk lid and driver's quarter today to remove all the body filler from someone's high school auto shop class. I was very interested in seeing whether the trunk lid (which is convertible/4 door only) had the 20 holes for the "oldsmobile" script or if it was just the 6 holes for the "442" emblems. I'm pretty sure the trunk lid is original to the car. The panel alignment is very nice. I also wanted to see if the quarter had the holes/studs for the cutlass supreme side trim. It does not.

I have seen people around here that have restored cars that were MUCH worse off , more rust , wrecked or missing more parts.

The 1972's did not have the side trim like the 70 and 71 supremes over the side marker lights.
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
I have seen people around here that have restored cars that were MUCH worse off , more rust , wrecked or missing more parts.

The 1972's did not have the side trim like the 70 and 71 supremes over the side marker lights.
You would think since we get so much rain in the seattle area that our cars would be super rusty as a result. Surprisingly they are not. Our frames don't rust mainly due to the lack of salt being used on the roads in the winter. Also I've very rarely seen rusted out floor braces on native seattle cars.

What concerned me about this car is that the trunk floor is pretty rusty. Rusty enough that it needs a complete floor with new braces.

I showed the "good" quarter panel. The other one doesn't look so good.

You are correct about the trim. The 70-71 supremes have the wide body side trim that is below the body line and covers the side marker lenses. In 72 supremes get a very thin body side molding. There are 4 per side of the car. One behind the front wheel well opening below the cutlass emblem. One on the door, and two on the rear quarter panel. There are factory holes punched in the sheet metal to attach fasteners from the back to hold on the trim. There are also studs welded to the metal with plastic clips that slide over them and then the trim snaps over the top of the plastic clips to hold it into place.

What i'm seeing here is a lack of the factory holes and no evidence that the studs were ever ground away which is consistent with a car that never had the trim.