What are "F" heads going for today?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM

What are "F" heads going for today?

Hi Guys,

I used to track the price of F heads until a few years ago when they went nuts. At some point I'd like to pick up a set for my 70W. So to bring me up to speed.............what's the going price for a bare set of F heads these days??

thanks,
bob
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Their not . can get a nice driver for a set
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM

$4000-6000. Seems to be the going rate.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Holy Crap! Really?

Honestly....I was thinking you'd say around $1500 to $2000 a set bare.

Wowsers! Guess I've been out of it longer than I thought. )

Thanks,
bob
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM

yaa baby throw in a intake 800 to 2000 and some red fender's 400 to 600 .
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
$4000-6000. Seems to be the going rate.
Based on cash actually changing hands, or just asking price? There's a set of D heads on ebay right now with an asking price of $6995. I'm not holding my breath. No F heads were listed in the completed auctions search, but no heads over a few hundred bucks were sold, either. There were a number of high priced UNSOLD items, however.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Ok......so who's gonna be the first to repop "F" and "D" heads????

Joe, you're right.....there's Asking Price....and Reality. Most times they don't line up......but when they do........it's scary!

later,
bob
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Dude for that kind of money go with Edelbrock!
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Before the economy fell apart I remember seeing sets on ebay sell for around $5,000 but the way things are now I'd hope you could find a set for more like $3,500. I agree with Joe that often the prices on ebay may not relate to the real world. Sometimes even if they sell its to a buyer with zero feedback and I'm thinking the owner screwed up by not putting a high enough reserve and he's covering his mistake. I'm needing a set of D heads for a 1969 and wish I'd had the money back when they were only $700-800 a set Oh well, maybe someday I can trade spare parts or even a project car for a set

Steve, it sounds like Bob has a real W30 car and is trying to put it back to original. No doubt he'll spend more than if he did go with aftermarket heads.

John
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM
NôôB

i hear you on that one 2blu lol. i dont need a set but would like a set for my H/O (think they have C heads now).
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Sicky,

FYI

C's on 69 442

D's on 69 H/O and 69 W-30
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
NôôB

C's were also ont he 67 toro which is what my engine is from. hense y i said i would like some d's on it but it has c heads on it now
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Hi Guys,

Yeah, it's a real W30 and I'd like to put it back to stock someday.....but with F heads that expensive it's not likely. I've got a set of K or Ka heads in the shed, which were F head replacements, which may just have to do. I've also got a set of E heads that I can grind off the lower leg and make them look like F heads. Wouldn't want anyone to think I was purposely faking F heads, so if I did that and ever did decide to sell the car I'd pull the fake F's and replace with K's. Because I just know the next guy wouldn't be as honest. (

I'm still in awe over what F's cost. Amazing!

take care,
bob
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
bil

Or remove the rest of the 'F' and stamp a K. ---bil
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:36 PM

parts place was talking about repopen f and d heads but has gone no were from what i know.
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM

That's why I said "seems" like the going price, without actual confirmed prices, it's just hard to say, but if I were in the market, that is about what I would expect to pay, and would try to get them cheaper. It's a matter of how bad do I want them, and how much am I willing to pay.
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

About 13 cents per pound.
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Change the letter, fakes are easy enough to detect and it only matters if and when you sell. As long as you tell the potential buyer you havent done anything wrong.

Get a hold of Octania in MI. He can help you change them.
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Registered

There's a set on the Houston Craigslist that the guy is taking offers on.
If had the cash those heads go for I'd buy another car, nobody but the ultra-**** care about matching numbers and parts much anymore anyway and nobody else knows any better, most people just want the cars to look right and be restored to better than new.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1984255611.html
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Hmmmm.......I think Bluevista just called me ****!!! Truth is he's right. I am. And Blue.....you do have a point in that "many" don't care about matching numbers, etc........but not "all". If no one cared about those things then "F" heads wouldn't be worth any more than "J" heads.

Also keep in mind that if there weren't a large amount of **** people out there in the musclecar world you wouldn't be able to pick up a resto catalog and order every single part that came on your car originally.

We're all just one big happy family........brother.

take care,
bob
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM

One of my brothers [of 5] took the motor from his W-30 to the local machine shop for rebuilding, and they told him his F heads were cracked @ the exhaust seats, and junk!
They got him another set of ??? heads to get it together, and charged him $800 extra!
He's not a gearhead, had no idea, and a know-it-all!
I heard about it a year later - he realized what happened, as the car is slow!!
Wonder what they got for those heads, with 'new hardened exhaust seats'!!
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bobb
Hmmmm.......I think Bluevista just called me ****!!! Truth is he's right. I am. And Blue.....you do have a point in that "many" don't care about matching numbers, etc........but not "all". If no one cared about those things then "F" heads wouldn't be worth any more than "J" heads.

Also keep in mind that if there weren't a large amount of **** people out there in the musclecar world you wouldn't be able to pick up a resto catalog and order every single part that came on your car originally.

We're all just one big happy family........brother.

take care,
bob
Amen, Bob!
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Rickman48,

I can relate. My brother took his 72 Z28 to a "restoration" expert and you wouldn't believe the number of key parts that just "got lost" over the two year restoration (that should have taken about a year). That guy went belly up while he still had my brother's Z and he was lucky to get anything back. World is just full of A-holes looking for suckers. Shame.

take care,
bob
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM

bobb he ment it in the best way . I have seen some good online throw downs over its not a w-30 with out the heads . or where is your 138 code or or or we have all seen them. There was a 67 hurst thread on here that was shut down because people cared enough to ride or trash talk the owner. jamesbo was just nick nacked by some on here about his 69 ho and heads and air cleaner on a car they wernt going to buy but had to get in on it, they Do care. non of there concern .I need a set of D heads and a 69 H/O intake for my car I hope to find them if not I will improvise. what would you spend for a set?
Old November 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Hi Firefrost,

I was just funnin' with Bluevista...........I know he didn't mean anything by his comments. Even if he did........I'm thick skinned. It takes all types and I'm glad there are all types....otherwise think how boring it would be. When we can't poke a little fun at each other we're all taking this hobby way too seriously.

As for what I'd spend on a set of F heads.....I'm not really sure. I'm not sitting on bags of cash right now.......ok......I doubt I ever will be sitting on bags of cash as it's just too much fun to spend, so I was really just trying to see where the hobby was in terms of an average price. Being serious for the moment, I really won't shell out thousands and thousands of dollars for a set of F heads. More than $2000 for a bare set just seems a bit nuts to me, although I fully understand the supply and demand thing. Back in 2007 when #1 restored W30s were bringing upwards of $50K I could understand spending $4000 on a set of F heads. Now that the bottom of the muscle car market has fallen out I think the price of such things will adjust back down.......but it's going to take time for people to realize guys like us won't pay those astronomical prices anymore. Or I could be completely wrong and the prices will continue to rise.

So like I said before.....unless I get really lucky and run into a set of F heads for reasonable money (reasonable by my interpretation), I'll just use the K or Ka heads, or modify a set of E heads to look like F heads for my personal use.

I'll keep my eye out for the HO parts you're looking for.......what's one or two more needles in the haystack? What's the casting number of the intake you need.....I'll take a look in my shed tomorrow. Probably don't have it.......but never hurts to look. )

Take care,
bob
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Emailed the guy in Houston......those heads are...GGGGONE!

later,
bob
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Emailed the guy in Houston......those heads are...GGGGONE!

later,
bob

What did they go for?
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM

He simply said "sorry; no longer available. thanks". But a nice set of "gone thru" F heads are now on Ebay.....with a Buy It Now of $6950!!!!!!

The world has truly gone nuts!

Later,
bob

Old November 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

He simply said "sorry; no longer available. thanks". But a nice set of "gone thru" F heads are now on Ebay.....with a Buy It Now of $6950!!!!!!

The world has truly gone nuts!

Later,
bob
Again, that's an ASKING price. Until cash changes hands, it's meaningless.
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
About 13 cents per pound.
More like 2,678.5 cents per pound. Dont you wish scrap was that high. we would be driving our junk to the yard and cashing in. LOL
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Actually, cast iron got up to $265 per ton over the summer, which is about 8 cents per pound.

I'll pay out up to 13 though for an F head. Just because I have a use for it.
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Hi Firefrost,

I was just funnin' with Bluevista...........I know he didn't mean anything by his comments. Even if he did........I'm thick skinned. It takes all types and I'm glad there are all types....otherwise think how boring it would be. When we can't poke a little fun at each other we're all taking this hobby way too seriously.

As for what I'd spend on a set of F heads.....I'm not really sure. I'm not sitting on bags of cash right now.......ok......I doubt I ever will be sitting on bags of cash as it's just too much fun to spend, so I was really just trying to see where the hobby was in terms of an average price. Being serious for the moment, I really won't shell out thousands and thousands of dollars for a set of F heads. More than $2000 for a bare set just seems a bit nuts to me, although I fully understand the supply and demand thing. Back in 2007 when #1 restored W30s were bringing upwards of $50K I could understand spending $4000 on a set of F heads. Now that the bottom of the muscle car market has fallen out I think the price of such things will adjust back down.......but it's going to take time for people to realize guys like us won't pay those astronomical prices anymore. Or I could be completely wrong and the prices will continue to rise.

So like I said before.....unless I get really lucky and run into a set of F heads for reasonable money (reasonable by my interpretation), I'll just use the K or Ka heads, or modify a set of E heads to look like F heads for my personal use.

I'll keep my eye out for the HO parts you're looking for.......what's one or two more needles in the haystack? What's the casting number of the intake you need.....I'll take a look in my shed tomorrow. Probably don't have it.......but never hurts to look. )

Take care,
bob
I m not Joe p I dont know the part # for a 69 H/O off the top of head . I will check the ref guids I have and get back too you Thanks.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM

as long as we can ask I have a pair of F-Heads on my car I'll sell for $40,000 - US Currency only - 20s preferred.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
as long as we can ask I have a pair of F-Heads on my car I'll sell for $40,000 - US Currency only - 20s preferred.
At that price you will want to put in tha add that buyer pays shipping and fondling
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by j-(chicago)
actually, cast iron got up to $265 per ton over the summer, which is about 8 cents per pound.

i'll pay out up to 13 though for an f head. Just because i have a use for it.:d:d
lol
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Hey, I'll sell my set for $40K, and for that price they come with a stylish shipping container that looks a lot like a 70 W-30 in need of total restoration.
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM

That's how I sold my first car ('72 Cutlass S). It had been totalled by a drunk driver, but the engine and transmission were still good. I advertised it as an engine and transmission, but they had to cart it away still attached to the car.
Old November 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Ok.....there's a second pair of F heads on eBay now.....with a Buy It Now of $4420. The other set with the Buy It Now of $6950 isn't moving.....so let's see if four and a half G's buys a set.

later,
bob
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM

My CL search engine spit out these two listings, both package deals with F heads /W-30 intake / OAI air cleaner - $5K to $6K so no bargain but maybe better than ebay

http://toledo.craigslist.org/pts/2015340470.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/2019006772.html

Don't personally know anything about these ads - or much about W30 parts - so dont kill the messenger
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM

I'd say that first one isn't all that bad, if the carb and distributor that come with are W30 numbers than it is a good price. Even has the TCS Solenoid on the manifold.

Quick Reply: What are "F" heads going for today?