What color stripes ?

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM

What color stripes ?

I'm getting ready to have my '72 painted. It will be the original red color. The interior and convertible top are white. I prefer black stripes. It's a personal preference, but a lot of pictures show a red car with white interior and top to have white stripes, and black interior cars to have black stripes. The rally wheels have red centers and I plan on changing them to black regardless of the stripe color. Would it look "odd" to have black stripes on a car with white interior ?
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM

you are correct, usually the stripes match the interior and the convertible top (or vinyl top) but its up to you. I prefer white interiors on a convertible but its up to you
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Thanks Steven. I'm slowly starting to change my mind and may go with white.
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:47 AM

I like red with black stripes too, BUT in your case with the white interior and top, my eyes would probably prefer the white stripes.

I'm familiar with Charlotte but never been to Marvin. You born and raised there?
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
delete

Why locked in on black wheels? They should be charcoal or body color.
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by thomaswatk
I'm getting ready to have my '72 painted. It will be the original red color. The interior and convertible top are white. I prefer black stripes. It's a personal preference, but a lot of pictures show a red car with white interior and top to have white stripes, and black interior cars to have black stripes. The rally wheels have red centers and I plan on changing them to black regardless of the stripe color. Would it look "odd" to have black stripes on a car with white interior ?
No, I don't think black stripes will look odd. Take a look at your interior. The upholstery is white, but the dash, carpeting and package tray is black right? No problem with black stripes. From the Oldsmobile Exterior Colors guide: Black stripes with all colors (Cutlass line was not offered in code 19 ebony black). White stripes with all colors except code 11 cameo white.

re: painting the wheels black? Personally, I would keep them red or argent gray. Black won't hurt them at all because they would pop with all the reveal stainless trim. But, only reason I wouldn't go black is because it wasn't offered as a color for Cutlass that year. Suggestion? Photoshop the colors on the wheels first to see how you like them.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM

My vote is for white stripes and red or factory gray wheels as original.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM

O.K., white it is ! I have no problem with grey wheels, I have seen some local cars with black and assumed that was correct, however I'm really not into "correct" as in everything has to be exactly as it came from the factory, especially the drive line ! Your comments are appreciated.
72 w29 all green I am from Charlotte originally. Have lived in other places, but have been here for a number of years. Marvin is about 15mi south of Charlotte, but I don't pay the high taxes Charlotte residents pay.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds good Thomas
Can't wait to see how it turned out! I'm more of a fan of black stripes, but that's because my car is silver. White would just look wrong on it

These wheels are so easy to change colors on if you don't like the color when they're painted. Have you ever thought of doing them in a silver powdercoat? It looks kind of like chrome, lasts forever, and eliminates the need for any trim rings or bezels.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM

I hadn't thought about silver powdercoat, but it's worth some consideration. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You're welcome. Couple things about PC?
1. Once it's on you pretty much have to sand blast it to get it off
2. Check you local shops for the best price. There is a lot of variation there. Most good shops will quote around 50-70 per wheel (but that includes cleaning and prepping) They only do one side unless you ask for both.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM

somewhere I posted the code for a pwdercoat that I used on my SSIIs, a very dark argent silver but I liked it. a good way to go almost 8 years later and they still look brand new. I agree with Allan too that black stripes with a white interior would be ok. That's what I like about 70 Pearl, there is a nice contrast as not everything is the same color. Look at the S&H Torino, Red car, white stripes, black interior
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
That's what I like about 70 Pearl, there is a nice contrast as not everything is the same color. Look at the S&H Torino, Red car, white stripes, black interior
Man, huggy bear that takes me back....
Only thing about Starsky & Hutch was that stripe was a little on the overstated look..

I could just not bring myself to do this to a Cutlass or 442. Gotta be a Ford thing...
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Black interior & top look good on red car with white stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
54326614e1.jpg (76.1 KB, 35 views)
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by thomaswatk
Not only is it not odd to have black stripes on car with white top/interior, but it may have been the manner in which your car was ordered!
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Olds Nut

my 442 is white interior ,white top and black thin stripes factory. most white interiors were coupled with black or another contrasting color.
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM

I don't necessarily think there's a rule of thumb - just a rule and nothing else. Take this GTO stripe spec as an example.

If you look closely, the decal color is dependent on the interior, but there are instances where one color - like Silver - would require one decal color no matter whether the interior was white (Parchment) or black.

I would be willing to bet Oldsmobile may have had a similar rule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970 Pontiac decal colors.jpg (29.4 KB, 26 views)