Swapping Ac for Non AC equipment…. what am i missing

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Swapping Ac for Non AC equipment…. what am i missing

I'm up to my eye ***** in my firewall restoration…seems to have turned into a frame on restoration.
I've removed the entire air conditioning box (in and out) and am amazed by the crazy combination of vacuum lines, doors, etc. Rather than figure out all of this stuff I'd like to get rid of all of it and swap to a non- AC set up .

Please tell me if I'm missing something…..in order to swap these systems I'll need:
Complete heater box (in and outside shells, heater core)
Heater control set up (fan speed, etc)
Kick panels (manual fresh air doors)
Resize firewall opening
Dash pad (have it)
Wire harness (will probably be replacing mine anyways).

Let me know if you have any or all of these parts- in Northern CA would be a bonus. Also- I'll be selling/giving away my AC stuff.

Thanks for guidance- much appreciated.
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM

If you are working on a 68-72 Cutlass, you can buy an underhood box so just your heater will function. You don't have to change the heater control, your heat will still come through the AC box. Somebody here will know more. Messing with the firewall is a big job and this deal is easy.
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Now that kinda makes sense- choosing the easy path and getting the same results.

If I can delete the vacuum activated stuff I'm 100% happy. I think the vacuum lines control the fresh air doors? Do they control anything else?
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM

Honestly don't know a lot about this, but I know it's a common swap. You keep all the inside stuff I think. You switch your blower motor and resistor to the new box. I THINK you dump your evaporator, POA, and expansion valve. You can get rid of the hoses, compressor + condenser. Bear in mind there are people who will buy that stuff from you. The vacuum lines also control the water shutoff valve which you will no longer need. Somebody will know more...

Last edited by mrolds69; December 11th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:21 PM

You are looking for an AC delete box like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-delete-co...e90594&vxp=mtr I don't know about this one........I've seen a better one in black...but this is the general idea. Look on ebay for an AC delete box.
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

The aftermarket A/C delete box uses the existing vacuum-operated HVAC system under the dash. Going that route does NOT allow you to remove any of the vacuum lines - they are needed to operate the flapper doors under the dash. Your only options are the route you originally outlined (which is a ton of work), use of an aftermarket electrically operated HVAC system, or doing completely without a heater/defroster.