Somehow I wound up with it so then I wound up here

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Curmudgeon

Somehow I wound up with it so then I wound up here

Sometime in the early 90's my sister bought a 76 442. Burgundy and white, burgundy interior with a white vinyl top and a 403, TH350. One legged rear end geared in the high twos if I remember right. For reasons I don't remember it wound up in the folks garage mostly stripped down thx to my brother's intent to "restore it". I think what prompted that was rust under the top around the windshield. It also had some rust in the back quarters. Usual place, behind the wheel openings.

And there it sat for the past...14 years? So now the folks are selling the farm and things are getting cleaned up. Said Cutlass now resides in my back field under a tarp. That can't last. I either have to start putting it back together or I have to part it out. It'll never bring anything as a complete project car because they can't find the bloody title. So, I have to decide if it's worth anything as parts. If not, then, well...I guess I'll have a 442 to go along with 4 other projects. I won't just crush it and I can't be one of those guys who lets it sink into the ground because "I'm gonna fix 'er up one of these days..."

So I'm here to learn a little about the popularity of the 76/77 442 and Cutlass S. Is there an interest in parts like that slope front header? Is there a decent parts aftermarket? I know there's some interest in the cars restored because I've seen two very nice ones close in on the 30k mark on feebay. But that's ebay where the universe is different from the real world...

So, help educate a guy and decide a car's fate?

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Are you sure that it's a 76 ?.

76 cars would be a 350 or a 455.

77 cars would be a 350 or 403.

And not to chase you away by any means (you're still welcome here) ...

But - the most knowledgeable place for that generation would be :

www.73-77olds.com

Naturally that would also be your best bet ...

If you end up having to part it out if it's too far gone to save.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

First things first. Have the owner listed on the title apply for another copy. It's either 30 bucks now, or a huge headache for someone else later on. At least you know the previous owner. Usually, the title has been through 3 people that never transferred in 14 years of sitting time. You're in good shape.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Curmudgeon

I just stumbled across the link to the other Cutlass board while reading here. So yeah, I'll probably register there, too.

I'm pretty sure it's a 76 because the dash vents are round. OTOH I'm not even certain it's not a Cutlass S. Which is another point against restoring it, but kind of irrelevant to parting it out. It had a fresh doghouse and paint back when they bought it because some idjit in a 4x4 had backed over the front end. But yeah, it is a 403. That's already living on a stand in the garage and probably isn't going anywhere. Now whether it was original to the car... There's 16+ years history I know nothing about prior to our getting it so who knows.

The title is doable, sure. But that's on the scales right now. If I part it then why bother. And Indiana used to charge back tax for every year it was not registered. A little trick they learned from California I suppose, and another point against fixing it.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Correct no 403s installed in a 76. In 76 it was either a 350 or a rare 455. Of the 9576 total W29 442 produced in 76 only 143 reportedly had the optional 455. Not sure if the 260 was available with auto or stick 5 speed in a 442? 1977 was the first year of the 403. Some opted for it because the 350 was a Chevy engine in 77. Only 350 total 442s came with the 403 in 77. I'm pretty sure all 76 & 77 442s were automatics (350, 403 or 455s). But that’s a little gray. I have some specific info packed away somewhere with some additional info. In 76 the 260 with a 5 speed stick were all Cutlass “S” cars and very few of those were produced. The web site mentioned above is a good source for the facts.
IMO any 73-77 Olds, 442, Hurst etc that is solid with all of its original parts in tact is worthy of a resto so long as its not so far gone. Then its a parts car. Resto/ Repro parts are becoming more available as they gain popularity. Other GM makes of the same vintage have similar/same parts like interior and chassis components, Monty, S-3 Laguna, Century, Lemons etc…
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM

Some states-Like Connecticut do not require a title for cars before 1980. There may be others.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Curmudgeon

Well, then I'd say it's a safe bet it didn't come with that engine. It's not much distance I'd have to go out on a limb to assume it's an S, too. A little research on the title says Indiana won't stick it to me very badly. Soooo...

Floors and frame and rockers are good. Doghouse and grilles and tailights, etc are good. But the roof would require a lot of patch panel fabbing, it needs a windshield and factory front seats and a back bumper...

Meh...
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Welcome aboard
Thx!
Old September 28th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Curmudgeon

Well, I managed to wipe my entire history, cookies, etc and had a fun time remembering my password for this and the Cutlass site, but I finally did. Will probably be throwing some of the more interesting bits and pieces on here for sale in the next day or two.