Should this car be saved or Recycled

Old August 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Ive been looking at this car for sometimes and it's in really bad shape and I was wondering should it be crushed or parted out.

Maybe it could be re-bodied. I know im gonna get FLAMED for saying that but compare that to making paper clips out of it.

Calvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_6850.jpg (116.2 KB, 258 views)
102_6852.jpg (80.6 KB, 272 views)
102_6854.jpg (85.5 KB, 268 views)
102_6858.jpg (23.4 KB, 229 views)
102_6856.jpg (94.9 KB, 236 views)
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM

more pics

Im sure some one can do it.
Attached Images
102_6855.jpg (64.0 KB, 166 views)
102_6859.jpg (70.4 KB, 169 views)
102_6860.jpg (100.6 KB, 189 views)
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Depends on how much you can do yourself. Bodywork can get expensive. My project started off about that bad, so if you like it I'd save it.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

OMG it has moss growing inside on the floor! It looks like Rust city. If it looks that bad on the surface, what's the frame like? I wouldn't touch that as a project unless I got it for free. You'd prolly spend more on the resto than it's worth completed.

I'd walk away from that.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM

I know it looks bad ,,,really bad and Im not gonna buy it but it may still have some decent parts I know there are some guys out there that have the skill and money to put it together. I would never take on a project like that unless a had a very clean donor car to re-body it . its just wasting away and I just wanted some opinions

calvin
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM

If the car is what I think it is I would save it . Only because I can do all the work to it but the body part . Even some of that I can do . But like Allan pointed out , it would have to be bought really cheap . Would you care to give the general location of the car ?
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Did, oh...... Richard Petty win the Daytona 500 in it.....if not....probably not much worth saving there.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM

It IS a mess, and we don't know the condition of the frame, but it IS a 442, and even as a parts car its worth $1500, assuming there's enough usable parts on it.

What a story you'd have if you took it on and restored it!
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM

The car is located in Ft. Wayne Indiana.

I was doin some work on one of my cars and kept looking at it while I was working and something caught my eye (the 442) some I took some pics after I snoop around it some. I know I could buy one for what it would take to build one but I know some folks out there love doing those kinda things so I posted it here to see what the reply's would be. im sure it can be bought, there are still some good parts on it , Im sure of that. I will snoop around it some more tomorrow

Calvin
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It IS a mess, and we don't know the condition of the frame, but it IS a 442, and even as a parts car its worth $1500, assuming there's enough usable parts on it.

What a story you'd have if you took it on and restored it!
Wait a minute, this car is worth 1,500 and is Titanic rusty but the California rust free 64 F-85 isnt worth 3,000?

Rusty cars arent worth jack as parts cars. Think about what is usable on that car. None of the body panels, none of the chrome, frame is probably rustier than the top side. So whats really good on that car? The console? The bucket seats? 65 stuff is worth a ton if its NOS or very nice to mint used, if not then its worthless. I wouldnt pay 500 bucks for that car. I would IF and only if the 400 and the original 4 speed are still there.

Sure 65s are rare today, but there are more out there that are in better shape than this one is. Truthfully the only way to fix this one is with another rust free body.

Last edited by TK-65; August 13th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Looks like junk to my eye.

Last edited by Nilsson; August 13th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Don't worry in a few more years mother nature will wash whats left of it back in the ground and this discussion no longer matters! The car is a basket case and is basically worth it's weight in scrap!

Yes, there are people out there that will fall in love with it and probably spend stupid money to rebuild it! I am not one of those people!
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree: essentially worthless.

If you can get it for that price, and you really want a BIG project, and have PLENTY of time and money to spend, then go ahead, otherwise, stay away.

- Eric
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Calvin..arent you tired of putting rusty Buicks together? Now youve moved to Oldsmobiles???

its a parts car...you cant save them all..****** it, part it, so other cars worthy can be saved
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Its gone!!! and I am a saver and think I can fix anything!!
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:30 PM

I think if the drivetrain is original, frame is solid, and all parts are there it would make a long term project if you can do your own work and are just looking for an interesting driver as opposed to a show car it may have possibilities. From the pics, it is not much worse then the 98 I am working on. Most would call mine a parts car if they saw it when I got it. The trick would to be satisfied with a car that is less then perfect. It would be big money to make it perfect.
BUT, I always try to save junk, and there are a lot of ifs.
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I would NOT walk away from this car with out checking it out real well

OK... I'm going to disagree with the flow here. Maybe the floorboards and frame are gone, maybe not. But a raggy set of side scoops just sold on ebay for $165. In my part of the country a muncie that needs to be rebuilt is $300-400. Bellhousing and flywheel $100 each. If it has the correct carb with tag, head with the V code, all good stuff. Manual transmission crank shaft? I'm over $1,000 now, how about that 4 speed console and bucket seats? the 4 speed shifter with rods? Manual transmission throttle linkage on the firewall? Condition of the clutch pedals, Z-bar, manual transmission instrument panel? I don't see rust coming through the front bumper where the brackets attach. If I went looking for those parts I'd be looking at $1500+. What else is usable?

So... if I found a car like that I'd look it over real close but would likely snap it up if I could get it for $1,000. Ya know, the 1965 F85 post car I recently purchased has the floorboards rotted out, but the 442 frame is solid with only surface rust. On my car the lower fenders look good but the rear quarter panels are rotten below the body line. I'm not going to pass judgement on this car without making a list of scarce parts and the condition they're in. If you have access to a Cutlass parts car with good sheetmetal it could even be saved, but at least consider it as a parts car with hard to find stuff on it.

My 2 cents!

John
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 2blu442
OK... I'm going to disagree with the flow here.
Sure, but just look at that picture of John's daily driver there... .

- Eric
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sure, but just look at that picture of John's daily driver there... .

- Eric

Touche
But even that hulk came with 4 piston caliper disc brakes, 400 4 spd engine/ flywheel/bellhousing/z-bar, 3.91 posi, nice rear bumper with cutouts and a mint floorpan. The parts are worth much more than I paid for the carcass.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Someone should save it, just not me. I have enough problems, so if I got it I'd cut it to ribbons.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM

Hell, I'd give ya $750 for the engine, trans + linkage, and radiator!
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John, I think the OP was looking at the car as a project to salvage? In all honesty much as I'd love to take on a challenge that one is way past the point of spending a lot of time on. As a parts car, that's a whole different story. But even the OP didn't say whether it was complete or not. As a project? I don't think there's a single piece of that car that wouldn't eat holes in your wallet.
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM

I'll give you guys credit for being realistic and I for one would agree it would be a major project but I'll side with John.... you guys obviously haven't been to Chicago lately. I've seen worse cars than that passing emission tests used as daily drivers around here.
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
John, I think the OP was looking at the car as a project to salvage? In all honesty much as I'd love to take on a challenge that one is way past the point of spending a lot of time on. As a parts car, that's a whole different story. But even the OP didn't say whether it was complete or not. As a project? I don't think there's a single piece of that car that wouldn't eat holes in your wallet.
Rats! I spent too much time typing and lost it

OK, most of you disagree with me so the OP will have to decide after reading through all the posts. Looking at the front end I'm going to guess there's a motor in there as the bumper looks the right distance from the ground. The shifter in the console looks to be the correct location, so I'm going to guess it's hooked to a transmission. Are they the original parts? Someone would have to clean things up to see. If the whole car was rotten I'd expect the front bumper to be rusted through where the frame mounts attach. I've come across several with that problem. The picture of the side scoop doesn't look like it's in bad shape. Ask anyone who's tried to find replacements for their car these don't exist. There's a TON of desireable parts in the pictures, but the point I wanted to make is get it home and clean it up before deciding if it can be saved or is just a parts car. If it's just a parts car then pull parts to sell, trade or keep until one finds a better 1965 442 to use them on. I personally know of seven 1965 442's that have gone to the crusher. I would like to see someone try to save this car, and at least save the scarce parts before everything does rot away. IF the owner would sell it for a reasonable price I'd be all over this car.

John
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
Calvin..arent you tired of putting rusty Buicks together? Now youve moved to Oldsmobiles???

its a parts car...you cant save them all..****** it, part it, so other cars worthy can be saved

Yeah your Right LOL

I wouldn't tackle a project like that Unless I had a Clean Donor 65 to do it with I'm not an Olds guy but a car guy the same and I wouldn't start a project like that, because I know I can buy one for less, BUT I do know and seen cars in this shape ...well maybe not this bad BUT bad, get restored and anything is Possible and I know there is some very good parts on this car but there is a lot a rust. I'm not restoring this car I may purchase it to save as parts, the reason why I ask is it worth restoring because I don't know much about 442's, more so referring to the rarity of the car, I hate to see them like this, they should parted so a Cutlass can be all it can be or be brought back to life. I do see alot of hard to find parts
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Rats! I spent too much time typing and lost it
Whenever I type a long post, I always hit "Select All" and "Copy" so that I can rescue the post if the "token" is "expired."

OK, most of you disagree with me
I don't exactly disagree - my own point is that if he can get it CHEAP, that's fine, but if the cost is too close to the value of the parts, it'll end up as a loss.

- Eric
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cdub270
Yeah your Right LOL

I wouldn't tackle a project like that Unless I had a Clean Donor 65 to do it with I'm not an Olds guy but a car guy the same and I wouldn't start a project like that, because I know I can buy one for less, BUT I do know and seen cars in this shape ...well maybe not this bad BUT bad, get restored and anything is Possible and I know there is some very good parts on this car but there is a lot a rust. I'm not restoring this car I may purchase it to save as parts, the reason why I ask is it worth restoring because I don't know much about 442's, more so referring to the rarity of the car, I hate to see them like this, they should parted so a Cutlass can be all it can be or be brought back to life. I do see alot of hard to find parts
The cars you have seen brought back arent Oldsmobiles. They are Chevelles, Mustangs and Camaros. Oldsmobiles dont have the aftermarket support those cars have. Especially a 65 442. No sheet metal besides whats under the car (pans, wheel houses), not a whiff of exterior body chrome (which is all pot metal), no bumpers, and very little interior pieces besides door panels and seat covers.

The only way that car ever gets restored is if the original owner is still out there and is looking for it. Other than that there isnt much reason to fix it.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of 65 442s out there in this condition.

http://w29.boards.net/index.cgi?boar...ad=2448&page=1
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I don't exactly disagree - my own point is that if he can get it CHEAP, that's fine, but if the cost is too close to the value of the parts, it'll end up as a loss.
X2. Goes back to my original comment. Most pics usually show a car BETTER than what it really is. I know that from taking pics of lots of them. So if this one looks rough in the pics, IMO it must be really rough in person.

Having said that? John and Eric - I respect your positions and would agree that IF the $ was right it could end up as a good parts donor. As a project though? I don't think so.

So it comes down to this: Cdub270. Are you going to make an offer on this car or not knowing what you do about it and being able to see it first hand?
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Again my opinion is unless someone has extraordinary talent, and very deep pockets, not worth restoring. pass. It's a parts car!
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM

I will call and inquire about the car today and let every one know what the results are if its for sale and is cheap enough for a parts car. I will post it if any one is interested.

Calvin
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thumbs up Yes!

Attsa whutta we wanna hear
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:09 AM

A buddy of mine who has lived 442's all his life may definitely have interest (he is not one for the Internet chat rooms though, even if some chat rooms are dedicated to Olds). Please keep us informed! The only worry I see right off the bat is the clothing in the trunk... Hopefully there aren't any human bones in them!
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM

I agree with 2blu442. I would be trying to save it, one way or another. That's what I enjoy about old cars, trying to make them driveable again. Pick up a parts car here and there, do what you can yourself and sell off the extras to help finance the mission. I can't stand seeing anything special go for scrap or parts any more, unless it's absolutely devistated. A 442 , to me, is still special. Besides, it's an excellent challenge. Anyone can buy a fixed up car. That's like cheating !!
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Justin

I agree with saving ! just last month ,I met a guy that had bought one ,no front clip ,broken windows, rotted quarters and the inside I don't even consider the seats cores missing almost all the crome trim along the bottom no drive train at all and he payed what I payed for mine witch mines needs rear work but can drive !
And he was SO excited because it was a 442 !!!
I believe every thing is save able ( one mans junk is another mans treasure )
At least here in Utah seeing a 442 or even a olds is kinda rare at the local shows this year there were three olds including mine at the show only one was a 442 out of 300 cars

Last edited by oldstata; August 15th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It's great for someone who has fabrication skills, lots of time and a lot of money to spend. But in todays economy I don't see a lot of that around. Maybe we, as hobbyists, take a lot for granted given what we have and can do with our disposable income or skill sets? IDK, I think even some of us struggle balancing the financial picture between wants and needs. And even hobbyists need to make that decision at some point about meeting the IDAK or restoring. So, based on reality, is it a fixer upper or a parts car? My vote is the latter.

I would question the guys sanity or business sense if he was that excited about paying that much for ??? when he could have paid that much for a driver. Maybe if it had VIN 100001? That would be different; it has significant historical interest. I think sometimes emotions play too big a part in knowing when it's time to move on or let go. I know that feeling and it's left me with a huge dent in my wallet that will never come back. Let's see what Cdub comes back with. Maybe up close it's in better shape than it shows? Who knows?
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM

I suppose the first critical thing for me would be price. If I could have it delivered to my house for $500-$1000 I wouldn't even crawl underneath it. More than that, I'd want a good look at the frame. Heck, I paid $900 delivered for my last 65 f-85 parts car, and it's a 4 door. It had almost all the pieces I needed, and was still together. I prefer to disassemble it myself so I know exactly how things go together. A car has different value to different people, at different times, as well. I think somebody will buy the 442 if given a chance.
Won't be me, I'm in BC !!
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You'd have to go searching the hills of Kelowna or southern BC to score a dry car. You're right in the salt air belt on the coast? I'm planning on moving to Surrey/Langley/Coquitlam area in the next 2 years. Then we can link up with some of the other guys and take a trip to CO or OR and score some good restorable oldies.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:43 PM

I surely am right in the salt air belt. The only place worse than here, for rust, is back east. Maybe that's why the topic 442 is looking so good to me. I just don't know any better !!
And yes, if you were wondering, the 442 I'm "fixing up" is probably not much of an improvement over Cdub270's find. It WAS driveable before I started "fixing" it, though.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Justin

If I had the cash and storage, I would try and save them all !!! the wife and neighbors would be very up set lol
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldstata
If I had the cash and storage, I would try and save them all !!! the wife and neighbors would be very up set lol
If I win the 50 million on Friday? I could prolly do that. But I wouldn't be worrying about neighbors. The closest one would be miles away. All the C.O. members on my Christmas list would get visiting rights and privileges to the machine shops and such I'd get installed in de custom mancave. *pop* ooohh, sorry I was dreaming for a moment. I forgot - BC means 'Bring Cash' and LOTS of it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should this car be saved or Recycled