Should this car be saved or Recycled

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by HonestDave
Anyone can buy a fixed up car. That's like cheating !!
Not true. Buying a done car is probably the smartest thing, money wise, that you can do. Imagine paying 1,000 bucks for that car. You will need at least two other cars to restore it. Multiple calls to Fusick for weather seals, emblems, interior, and all the other small parts that nickel and dime you to death. Now factor in the cost of paint and body work. And you take the average of 5-6 years to finish the car.

I buy a car already finished, or one that need minor detailing. I pay more, but in the long run I spend less than you do. And Im driving it while you are working on yours.

Buying a done car isnt a crime. Especially when 80% of car projects never get finished by the guys that start them.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Actually, TK-65, I think you read too much into what I wrote. Obviously, the smartest financial move is to buy the car for 10 grand that someone else has spent 25 grand on. My comment was meant for fun, thus the exclamation marks. Guess I should have put LOL after it, but I'm not that up on forum etiquette. I'll try to be more delicate in the future.
Keep smiling, Dave
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Actually, TK-65, I think you read too much into what I wrote. Obviously, the smartest financial move is to buy the car for 10 grand that someone else has spent 25 grand on. My comment was meant for fun, thus the exclamation marks. Guess I should have put LOL after it, but I'm not that up on forum etiquette. I'll try to be more delicate in the future.
Keep smiling, Dave
So true! Even if it was gotten for say $1k You can figure on $15k for power train, and probably another $15k for body interior, chrome, trim, etc... Then another $5000 for tires,supplies and incidentals. This is not counting labor if you do it yourself. So we are talking a good $36k to buy and fixit up right.

You can buy a really nice car for a lot less, already fixed!
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Actually, TK-65, I think you read too much into what I wrote. Guess I should have put LOL after it, but I'm not that up on forum etiquette.
It's not you, it's TK-65, with whom I've had run-ins before very much of the nature of yours. His sense of humor seems to have been stillborn.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
So true! Even if it was gotten for say $1k You can figure on $15k for power train, and probably another $15k for body interior, chrome, trim, etc... Then another $5000 for tires,supplies and incidentals. This is not counting labor if you do it yourself. So we are talking a good $36k to buy and fixit up right.

You can buy a really nice car for a lot less, already fixed!
Let's not forget the small money players, though. There's more people out there with less money to spend, who still like old cars.
Example of thrift, my sister gives me back my 66 Cutlass with shot motor. I buy a car for $250 with excellent drive train and transfer it in. Great driving car again, and sold off the parts to get the motor and tranny free.
Next it needed a seat. Found a rotten 66 Cutlass rag top for $150. Same color interior. Transfered the good seats into the keeper, and sold off the posi ( yes, for $150 it came with posi !) and other parts and actually made money.
This is the joy for me, now, trying to save old cars from the crusher. Usually I drive them a while, and then pass them on to someone willing to go further, with more expertise. Still manage to have some fun with them.
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Personally I have a really hard time passing up any '65. To me that looks like a parts car but I've never had a 442, Only Cutlasses ( Cutli?). If the price is right buy it regardless and figure the rest out later.

(It's not you, it's TK-65, with whom I've had run-ins before very much of the nature of yours. His sense of humor seems to have been stillborn. )

I've had no run-ins but in the past I've noted the attitude at ultrahighopinionofmyself.com......
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:43 AM

65 442. Like mentioned, if the original motor/trans/rear are there... it is a potential re-body candidate. But its all about the benjamins... I wouldn't just crush it though. 2blu442 is right, people will pay silly money for original parts (vice repops) they can't find if they think they can restore them.

John

Last edited by Eightupman; August 21st, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM

I put the word out and inquired about the car and if it was for sale, the owner is a elderly guy who has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, he said he would get back to me but I didn't want to be pushy, he said he would get back to me though because even he knew it was wasting away. If it does become available I will let every one know here then post it in the classified section, we will see.

I agree with HonestDave I like the fun of it and TK-65 , its smart to buy a solid driver, I try to do a little bit of both. I couldn't build this car and wouldn't have no problem parting it out, to support my habit.

Calvin