Is this a real'67 442?

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Is this a real'67 442?

Was looking on Aussie ebay and saw this. we didn't get Olds past about 1948 unless they were a personal import. I do believe its an older import as its RHD which was what you had to do up until recently.

guy doesn't seem to know if its an orginal 442, I'm guessing it is due to the rarity of Olds here, but I know diddly squat about 442's.

so to you experts does it look like the real deal? I'm not looking to buy the car, just interested to know if someone had the coin to import one back then.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1967-OLDSMOBI...item19c5045b60
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:32 AM

Not with a 330 engine.
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Resident Eskie

It might be, but it did not come with that engine. In 1967 the 442 was an option on the Cutlass Supreme and it came with a 400 cid engine. The only way to know for sure if it was a 442 is if you had a build sheet or dealer invoice. The VIN would only indicate that it is a Cutlass.
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM

I'd love to see the trim-data tag info!! Its the first time I ever heard of a RHD Cutlass!!! Wow!! That HAS to be a RARE item!! I'd love to be able to afford to have it in my "barn"!!!
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Its the first time I ever heard of a RHD Cutlass!!! Wow!! That HAS to be a RARE item!!
Nah, he just had the photo developed with negative turned over.

I agree, it is cool-looking because it is so unusual for us left-hand-drive types. It really does look to be just a mirror reflection.
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:11 AM

I am no right hand drive expert.. but IF it were a "mirror" image the gas pedal would be next to the trans hump and not next to the door..
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Getting There

and the brake booster

thats pretty freakin sweet !!!
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
I am no right hand drive expert.. but IF it were a "mirror" image the gas pedal would be next to the trans hump and not next to the door..
I didn't say it WAS a mirror image! I just said it could be. I was just making conversation.

Yes, if you examine it closely, you can see things that indicate it's not a mirror image.
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

The TH350 isn't original, so if that really is a 330, it may also not be original. Real 442s would have a "5V" code on the body data plate, EXCEPT for cars built in Fremont, CA. If this is a Fremont car, you can't tell, but a Lansing car would have the 5V.
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM

I would be guessing that the guy doesn't know what he has he has probably been told its a 330 and th350 trans, I'm not saying it is or isn't. Just that there isn't much knowledge on Olds over here. I just found it interesting, as its potentially a good buy for someone who want's a era muscle car to restore, you certainly wouldn't see another at the cruise night.

we had our all american car day the other day, I didn't go, but saw photos I think out of about 1000 cars there were less then 10 Olds there, probably about 6.
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Just my input

I think the car is real. Because if he reversed the the photo the the cowl tag would be on the right side. In the picture it is on the left. Plus how do you make the dashboard glove box look real on the left side. Plus why are the heater hoses coning to the left side. Just my two cents.
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM

The photo is real and the car is real etc. there is no need for him to do any photoshop to make it look to be RHD as legally now, you don't need to convert a car to RHD if you bring it in ( older car that is, over 25 years old)

its actually easier if the car hasn't been converted, as in the conversion process, they throw out a lot of the original steering stuff and use local stuff ( probably holden the Aussie GM branch) so now you have to figure out what has been used. where if its original with the internet its easy, you just buy direct from the US the parts you need.

Depending on when this was actually bought in, there were only a few places doing personal conversions. It could have been bought through a Holden dealer and converted by them its hard to tell.

So if I'm reading correct, if you were looking at a 442 in the US, you need the build sheet to tell if it actually is a 442? or look for the 5V unless it was CA car?

learn something every day.
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM

So what

So what is right hand drive i would give big bucks to have it. Just for it being an olds cutlass. It looks so cool.
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:28 PM

What letter is on the cyl heads and the number and letter on the block, next to the oil fill tube in the valley to the right.
Also get all the info of the data plate.
Gene
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The TH350 isn't original, so if that really is a 330, it may also not be original. Real 442s would have a "5V" code on the body data plate, EXCEPT for cars built in Fremont, CA. If this is a Fremont car, you can't tell, but a Lansing car would have the 5V.
Joe, does this apply to the Turnpike Cruiser in '67, even though they weren't a 442 this year? Does the turnpike have any "certain" markings on the engine or data tag?
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:39 AM

that car would be a good exercise in coordination if it were a 4 speed
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I was just curious about one thing, maybe it was in the conversion or something....
Far as I know, the 66/67 dash had the heater controls closer to the driver, and the radio was a stretch to the side. On this car, the radio is conveniently located close to the driver, and the heater controls are a 'stretch'. Maybe it has something to do with the cables and hookup under the dash?? Just curious....anybody know?
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM

am pretty sure the belts would spin in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere.
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by driverchoice
that car would be a good exercise in coordination if it were a 4 speed
funny thing is, when I got my olds it took me nearly 2 years to get use to hanging my left arm out the window, in fact I found it a PIA as my watch would scratch the garnish moulds at the top of the door.

And going for the gear leaver with my right hand, thats just wrong!
Old April 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I was just curious about one thing, maybe it was in the conversion or something....
Far as I know, the 66/67 dash had the heater controls closer to the driver, and the radio was a stretch to the side. On this car, the radio is conveniently located close to the driver, and the heater controls are a 'stretch'. Maybe it has something to do with the cables and hookup under the dash?? Just curious....anybody know?
depends on who did the conversion to how it was done, the heater was probably just to get it all to work.

with the fords that were converted back in the day, they used local sourced falcon or fairlane parts and usually cut and shut the firewall and just replaced it with a local content one, the dash was then cut up into a heap of pieces like a jigsaw puzzle and then put back together,

the conversion to RHD was a registration requirement and part of the reason there weren't too many personal imports until they stopped that, as it costs about $5k to get a car out here and then it was $5-10k for the conversion, and this was back in the 80's. So it made a car very expensive.

Now the docks are full of cars coming in each week
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:11 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
am pretty sure the belts would spin in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere.

I'm gonna say its a Cutlass Supreme, since that is what I think the dash plaque says (that plus the black hood and the fact that I see a '65 style PCV flapper and what I THINK is a rechromed '65 442 air cleaner (though it may not even be that, as the snout looks kinda narrow)).
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick

I'm gonna say its a Cutlass Supreme, since that is what I think the dash plaque says (that plus the black hood and the fact that I see a '65 style PCV flapper and what I THINK is a rechromed '65 442 air cleaner (though it may not even be that, as the snout looks kinda narrow)).
Rechromed 66 Cutlass air cleaner. Hole for flapper valve tube is on other side in 65.