Opinions on this stamping?

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Opinions on this stamping?

Opinions on this engine pad stamping? I have mine. Seller is representing as a matching number block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2344pad.JPG (95.7 KB, 425 views)
Old December 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by PUREW30
Opinions on this engine pad stamping? I have mine. Seller is representing as a matching number block.
I'm sure it's a "numbers matching" block - NOW. It just isn't the original block (nor the original stamp).

That isn't even close to the factory font or impression. And the factory did not stamp the number on two lines.

Compare to these known factory stamps.

As compared to this:

Old December 10th, 2016, 11:04 AM

VIN stamp

Perhaps a service department re-stamp on a warranty block but zero chance of that being a factory VIN stamp.
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:38 AM

Agreed. Never seen a factory stamp look like that. I've seen two lines on SR blocks but obviously no vin number on an SR block. Depth, spacing, two lines, and font are all wrong. This is from a '71 Bittersweet W30 on ebay right now.
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Also note the relative angles of the characters - I believe that the original stamp was made from a single holder that was loaded with the correct number, then stamped on the block, transmission, and perhaps a few other places, depending on year - the original characters may have had slight misalignment top-to-bottom, but rotationally they were all straight.
These characters were individually stamped, and each is on a slightly different axis.

It doesn't even look like the "re-stamper" tried.

- Eric
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It doesn't even look like the "re-stamper" tried.

- Eric
I agree with Dave that this is likely a dealer replacement. The dealership was SUPPOSED to transfer the original VIN derivative to the new block when a replacement was installed. This often did not happen, and there was no direction (nor likely the ability) to replicate the factory font or format. Only the transfer of the characters mattered for legal purposes. Frankly, having the restamped VIN derivative be so different from factory is an advantage in my opinion, as it makes it easy to prove the engine is not original. In any event, the dealership didn't care about such things then, just compliance with corporate directives and federal law.
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I agree with Dave that this is likely a dealer replacement. The dealership was SUPPOSED to transfer the original VIN derivative to the new block when a replacement was installed. This often did not happen, and there was no direction (nor likely the ability) to replicate the factory font or format. Only the transfer of the characters mattered for legal purposes. Frankly, having the restamped VIN derivative be so different from factory is an advantage in my opinion, as it makes it easy to prove the engine is not original. In any event, the dealership didn't care about such things then, just compliance with corporate directives and federal law.
Interesting
Old December 10th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree with Dave that this is likely a dealer replacement.
That would seem to be the most likely situation in which the re-stamper would not even care what the stamped number looks like.

It's actually interesting to see a replacement engine that appears to have been stamped according to the guidelines, because so many of them appear not to have been.

- Eric
Old December 10th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's actually interesting to see a replacement engine that appears to have been stamped according to the guidelines, because so many of them appear not to have been.
My thought exactly.
Old December 10th, 2016, 05:25 PM

Is it this car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Oldsmob...m=152350382024

Carb looks like a service replacement carb due to the date code, and I was thinking the 7041253 was the regular 442 manual transmission application but not W30. It has a newer alternator, not an open faced one. The spoiler also has two studs holding it on, I believe factory spoilers had three studs each side. It looks like a really nice car and the build sheet is a super find. But the ad calls it a survivor and says the bolt on's are all original. Then it goes on to say they've located the original heads. So... I have more reservations than just the vin stamped in the block. John

And... I believe the radiator tag is the same one I have on a 4 row radiator. But the top plate on this car isn't a 4 row top plate. It's the non-shroud 2-3 row top plate. The exhaust crossover on the intake look rusty, so its an iron intake.
Old December 10th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Possibly formerly a external regulator car? 3 holes in firewall center behind air cleaner, look like where a regulator may have been bolted on. Drivers side trunk dosent fit well, maybe the light but the paint seems to not match in that area as well.
But its a beautiful car, one of my favorite colors on one.
Old December 10th, 2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Is it this car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Oldsmob...m=152350382024

Carb looks like a service replacement carb due to the date code, and I was thinking the 7041253 was the regular 442 manual transmission application but not W30. It has a newer alternator, not an open faced one. The spoiler also has two studs holding it on, I believe factory spoilers had three studs each side. It looks like a really nice car and the build sheet is a super find. But the ad calls it a survivor and says the bolt on's are all original. Then it goes on to say they've located the original heads. So... I have more reservations than just the vin stamped in the block. John

And... I believe the radiator tag is the same one I have on a 4 row radiator. But the top plate on this car isn't a 4 row top plate. It's the non-shroud 2-3 row top plate. The exhaust crossover on the intake look rusty, so its an iron intake.
That's the one. Not sure it's an original 4spd car either as the stamping on the trans is questionable as well. It appears as its double stamped and not very legible. Does appear to be a real W car by the build sheet which is very cool.
Old December 12th, 2016, 06:46 AM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by PUREW30
That's the one. Not sure it's an original 4spd car either as the stamping on the trans is questionable as well. It appears as its double stamped and not very legible. Does appear to be a real W car by the build sheet which is very cool.

This car reminds me of the 71 Bittersweet that used to be on this site few years ago. Here is the old post:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...0-4-speed.html
Old December 12th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by steverw
Possibly formerly a external regulator car? 3 holes in firewall center behind air cleaner, look like where a regulator may have been bolted on.
All cars got those holes punched in the firewall. Besides, the seller has the "W30" broadcast card.
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:12 AM

The same guy had an auction for two Cyclone ragtops. I think his narrative for those cars was full of it, but I think he truly believes it.
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:23 PM

yeah..he's full of himself on the Cyclones...talk about knee deep in bullsh!t...
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:34 AM

The 1253 carb is for 71 W30 with double disc option. Greg
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:06 AM

The factory spoiler had two studs on each side, at least when they were manufactured in 1971.
Old December 20th, 2016, 11:10 AM

All cars got those holes punched in the firewall. Besides, the seller has the "W30" broadcast card.
This is not true. These pics are from a well documented '71 W-30 I restored.

This is the nicest '71 W-30 I've seen at a national meet. Well documented with a window sticker. It did not have regulator holes in the firewall either.

Old December 21st, 2016, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
This is not true. These pics are from a well documented '71 W-30 I restored.

Interesting. My 69 H/O had them punched.