My Mecum Car....

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM

My Mecum Car....

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...37&entryRow=15

Hey all,
I just finished the restoration on my '70 442......what do you all think?
It was an extremely nice car to start with, 62K original miles, 2-owners...
What number would you guess it will bring?
Scott...
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM

-

Much more than I have. It's a beauty.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM

Wow!!
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM

Well it's hard to say. If you get 2 guys that really want it you could get a ton. But it's not a W30 or a 4sp car so don't get your hopes up. I have been watching Mecum here and there and unless it's a Chevelle you can just about forget getting top dollar these days. I have seen some really nice 442s go across and fetch only in the low 20's. The convertible helps, but I really don't know how much.
Good luck with the sale.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM

I might just bid on this bad boy
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Wow!!
agreed
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uly49
What number would you guess it will bring?
$50,000 to $60,000.

Just my personal preference on one aspect of it, but I think that red with a white top and interior is about the best color combination there is for a convertible. Good luck on the sale.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice car, looks like some beautiful workmanship. I'd be afraid to drive it because I wouldn't want the underside to get dirty!

Hope you get what you want for it.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM

The whole 4-speed argument is interesting.....not long ago I would have completely agreed with the stick being worth more than the automatic. While 4-speeds almost always do get a higher number I have noticed lately that the automatics are not getting penalized nearly as much as they used to. 4-speeds still command more but I have seen a lot of "Want To Buy" notices requesting automatics. I myself have a 4-speed car and frankly much prefer them, but a lot of people who grew up with these like the simplicity of automatics and it's also easier to justify when "The wife can drive it"....don't chew my *** I know there are a lot of women who prefer 4-speed cars, "I'm just sayin......" As far as "Nice cars going for 20-30" those cars are usually nice drivers that could use some work, are usually not converts.....nor fresh restorations. There were a couple at last years "Spring Auction" that were no sales for 70-80K...I think our favorite cars are starting to get some more respect. Let's hope so....
Scott...
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM

Dont take this wrong but YOU just finished it? Looks like a very nice car .
Any back ground on the car? What about resto pics
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

what is up with that tailpipe?
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM

Good catch...if you look at the underside photo you can see that it is hanging lower than the passenger side....I fixed it after the shoot...
Scott...
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Looks like a nice car! Just love the new looking bottom side.

Not to pick on your car,just a helpful tip to help you get top dollar. In the pics it looks as if I see footprints of dust on the carpet.Also the pedals look as if they are really dirty.This could turn off some picky buyers.

Good luck with the sale
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Ice

I thought the side stripes were thicker than that? What's the story with those?live the car!
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by Ice
I thought the side stripes were thicker than that? What's the story with those?live the car!

You must be thinking this is a w-30 with thick stripes,it's a 442 with thin stripes.

Old March 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM

If you look at the area we were in during the picture taking you will see that there was definitely a bit of dirt to be had, but all has been cleaned thanks for looking out for me....those are the correct stripes, hand painted as is correct for the day.....you may be thinking of the W-30 stripe which are quite a bit thicker......
Scott...
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Dont take this wrong but YOU just finished it? Looks like a very nice car .
Any back ground on the car? What about resto pics
Yes. Do u have paper work? Numbers matching?
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM

Nice work! That's a be-oootiful car!!!
John
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Registered

x2 on 50-60K going by completed auctions, they have gone for more a few times.
The people who have never had one and always wanted one and can finally afford it with the kids gone and the house paid off car.
Maybe a big time collector would want it with a fresh resto too, but it would sit in a museum.

Who restored the car?

That underbody sure is shiny, did you wax it too?
I bet that '69 W30 convertible in the auction will suck a lot of the big Olds cash out of the room too, it's a very nice car.
Both cars are beauteous, but if I had my druther's.
Nothing against your car but I already have a red '68 convertible (GTO).
I haven't seen a car I wanted so bad in a long time, I thought that part of my life was over.
I've got a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat, wish I had some cash in my pocket.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=SC0511-107399
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:23 AM

Now that's a car that should fetch some coin for sure. It has all the goodies on it for sure.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM

A lot of nice Olds coming up in May at Mecum.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
x2 on 50-60K going by completed auctions, they have gone for more a few times.
The people who have never had one and always wanted one and can finally afford it with the kids gone and the house paid off car.
Maybe a big time collector would want it with a fresh resto too, but it would sit in a museum.

Who restored the car?

That underbody sure is shiny, did you wax it too?
I bet that '69 W30 convertible in the auction will suck a lot of the big Olds cash out of the room too, it's a very nice car.
Both cars are beauteous, but if I had my druther's.
Nothing against your car but I already have a red '68 convertible (GTO).
I haven't seen a car I wanted so bad in a long time, I thought that part of my life was over.
I've got a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat, wish I had some cash in my pocket.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=SC0511-107399
You are right that is one beautiful '69, that should garner some good money. Last year there was the most beautifule '70 W-30 @ the spring auction and it only brought 96K, I say "Only" because it was truly a stunning car, probably the "Green Color" that held it back....yes this is a numbers matching car with a couple of mediocre build sheets. The car was purchased from the 2nd owner and as stated in the description the miles are original, Just over 62K.....it hadn't seen any rain since at least the mid 80's if I remember correctly. It was a "Summer Only" car for the previous owner.
When I got the car I was amazed at the "correctness"
of it....lot's of small original clamps and such. The car has never been hit and again as stated it has all of it's original panels. The interior was flawless but had the normal wear-and-tear issues so it had to be replaced. It had the original top as well....hope that covers everything!!
Scott...
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM

two questions for my own knowledge,

1) Whats with the X on the valve cover, have seen those on Inline tube's car and a few others, - what did that mean on the assembly line

2) I see there is no hood bumper in front of the hood latch like the ones that are in front of the brackets for the hood locks. According to the assembly manual there should be a third bumper in the center for OAI hood cars. I have seen them with and without, just wondering if this is an original OAI hood car, just trying to figure out what was what.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
One of None W-31

Ultimately, price is what the buyer is willing to pay...having said that, if it's a frame off resto, then 40k and up.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM

1970 442 Convertibles are the best year for Olds.

December 2009 Hemmings had a 442 buyers guide.
Go to the very bottom for prices.
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...rs_guide1.html

Originally Posted by svnt442
I have been watching Mecum here and there and unless it's a Chevelle you can just about forget getting top dollar these days. I have seen some really nice 442s go across and fetch only in the low 20's. The convertible helps, but I really don't know how much.
Good luck with the sale.
Agreed.

I've seen some Chevelle SS clones go for more then 442's.
But a 1970 442 Convertible is the absolute most desirable year there is for Oldsmobile.

Most others it's not so easy to get money out of them, but this one he should.

I hope you do get $50K+ out of it. The color red is a very desirable color to have.
There's so many other not so desirable colors they made , this one will stand out.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 22nd, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
two questions for my own knowledge,

1) Whats with the X on the valve cover, have seen those on Inline tube's car and a few others, - what did that mean on the assembly line

2) I see there is no hood bumper in front of the hood latch like the ones that are in front of the brackets for the hood locks. According to the assembly manual there should be a third bumper in the center for OAI hood cars. I have seen them with and without, just wondering if this is an original OAI hood car, just trying to figure out what was what.
The X is simply a factory acknowledgement that the motor has been inspected and all of the "Proper Pieces Are In Place"...these are subjective. Different factories had somewhat different markings and I have seen some strange ones over the years. As far as the bumpers are concerned....I have two other W-25 optioned cars and neither has the bumper if I understand the location correctly. Both of these cars are original Ram Air hoods so I can't really answer you any better than that.
A lot of these hoods were put on by dealers and certainly by consumers afeter purchase....I will continue the search for a better answer.
Scott...
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM

I am going to disagree with the 50-60 on this car. The pictures look great and if the restoration is as nice as the pictures I would put the car at $70-80k (probably still less than the cost of the restoration). I just witnessed a nice red 442 1971 sell for $70,000. It was a red car and an older restoration; 4 speed thought. On the other hand the 1969 will not bring what it should bring. I will guess 80-100 on the 1969. The documentation might make it push the 100 mark a little. Not sure I have the pulse of the auction market but that is my guess for these two cars. Of course a bidding war can get crazy and what is hoped for by each of the sellers.

Lee
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by leepear
I am going to disagree with the 50-60 on this car. The pictures look great and if the restoration is as nice as the pictures I would put the car at $70-80k (probably still less than the cost of the restoration). I just witnessed a nice red 442 1971 sell for $70,000. It was a red car and an older restoration; 4 speed thought. On the other hand the 1969 will not bring what it should bring. I will guess 80-100 on the 1969. The documentation might make it push the 100 mark a little. Not sure I have the pulse of the auction market but that is my guess for these two cars. Of course a bidding war can get crazy and what is hoped for by each of the sellers.

Lee
Lee,
I hope you are right...that is closer to what I think it could bring. The one thing I have noticed recently, and it hold true for a lot of cars, is that if the restoration is of high quality (this one is awesome if I do say so myself ) and the car is desireable, people will pay good money for it. The fact that this is a covertible certainly helps as well. I have been contacted by several people about a possible purchase but I think I will take it to the auction and see what she brings. If the '69 were a '70 it would bring even bigger bucks, it is a truly beautiful car....I am currently restoring a '70 W-30 that is Sebring Yellow....I didn't realize what a great color that is until we painted it recently. It is a documented car so I am really looking forward to what the market has to say when she is done......thanks again for the thoughts.....
Scott...
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM

And finally Scott: You did a great job on that car. Even though I am having my 1970 442 restored I have spent hours and hours chasing parts and working with the restorer to make the car the way it needs to be. I hope you enjoy the auction and get exactly what you want for your beautiful car.......I am sure the judges at the Nationals will find a thing or two wrong with my car but I did the best I could to make it correct on my budget.
Lee
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by leepear
And finally Scott: You did a great job on that car. Even though I am having my 1970 442 restored I have spent hours and hours chasing parts and working with the restorer to make the car the way it needs to be. I hope you enjoy the auction and get exactly what you want for your beautiful car.......I am sure the judges at the Nationals will find a thing or two wrong with my car but I did the best I could to make it correct on my budget.
Lee
Lee,
Would love to see pictures of your car....I work closely with a good friend of mine and he is absolutely the most honest, knowledgeable frickin perfectionist I have ever met. If you ever need any help or a phone number I would be glad to pass along anything you need. He has great knowledge and if there is ever a problem he owns it.....doesn't pass the buck or ask for more money. Truly a professional in the best sense of the word....Send those pics when you are done
Scott...
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM

You can track the restoration at levelonerestoration.com Lee Pearl's 1970 w-30. The first few pictures are one month after it was purchased by the original owner and dated 4-70. Lee
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Car looks great, I'll be following the auction on TV, if not there in person.
Really interested to see what you get for it. Does it have the dual gate shifter? I can't really tell in the photo for sure.
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Scott: Your timing is perfect with the Barrett Jackson $150,000 442 just selling. I am still sticking to my 70-80 although that auction could push your car up from 10-20k. Great timing on your auction. Good luck.

Lee
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks Lee....these cars have started to get some respect the last couple of years and lets hope that continues, not only for my bank account but also for the hobby in general. The drop tops certainly bring more money but I have seen some hard tops that are really well done command some decent money as well...thanks for the good thoughts....
Scott...
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Olds Nut

Wow what a awesome car. Looks great if you can get the few items fixed i agree 50-60 will be a breeze.