Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Looking for advice.

As a few of you may know , my 1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme Holiday 442 Coupe is going through a total body off frame restoration. It has the entire born with drive train , and is painfully stock . Every piece of this car that has been touched , is back to new specification . My engine comes back from engine builder next week , and I have to purchase a visually suitable exhaust system replacement .
Question # 1. Is a MagnaFlow OE system correct enough , and is it a high enough quality ? A stainless system from Summit Racing is $ 583.52 .
And I still have to buy correct tips . Question 1a is , what are the correct tips ? If I have to go to Gardiner , well , they do NOT even post cost .
I have heard that Gardiner systems are in the 2,000 dollar range . Yikes.

Question # 2. I bit the 1190.00 dollar bullet and bought 5 new Firestone Wide Oval , pin White Stripe O.E. tires from Coker . They apparently look surprisingly great according to my restoration shop . Here is my question
I have 5 original Wire Wheel covers covers . Those are the only things I have taken the responsibility to restore . Now with everything else looking brand new , my caps look average . 2 of the 5 have curb rash , and if I start taking the caps apart , what kind of fun and difficulty will I find in the restoration of those caps ? Being that I have 5 , I can take my worst one , and experiment on that .
In advance . Thank you to the many that have advised me on my engine rebuild , and stock spring and shock advice . I have heeded every piece of advice . The final fit of body back on frame is about 2 weeks away . My dyno sheet on the O.E. engine rebuild at the same time . 3 weeks from now I should have the pictures of a completely restored frame , engine , transmission , prior to body going back on . Early to mid November on finish of car .
Thanks Jim .
Addendum . The MagnaFlow system has the option of being 2 1/2 " O.D.
or a 3 " O.D. opinions ? I sort of thought 2 1/2 " was more than enough , but , it is just an option ..
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Registered Luser

Who is doing the resto?
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM

Contact this guy. He makes some of the finest chambered tail pipes. Quality stuff. I'm sure he can help with exhaust pipes, too. I bought tailpipes from him and love 'em.

If you're going to be running a stock engine, 2 1/4 pipes should be fine. Don't forget buy new hangers, also.

waltvallelunga@yahoo.com,
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM
same but different

I'd stick with 2-1/2" exhaust, its more than enough. I don't know enough about the tips as to weather what is correct. Did you look at what Pypes as to offer for exhaust systems? Its very possible you'll be happy with the magnaflow.

I've never messed with wire wheel covers. It does sound like a daunting task to get them right. Give it a try. Like what you have alluded to, the rash on a couple of them might take away from everything else that will be perfect on your car. Have you thought about other factory wheel options? Poverty caps- dog dishes?

Good luck on your time table to finish. Look forward to your updates.
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:33 PM

Appreciated .

Car is being restored by Calvin's Customs . Salina KS.
They have decent web site , and you can view quality if their builds there .
Calvin is a very nice , and quality individual . From finding this car , from the estate of the original family , to unearthing the details of 46 yr. old car , they have taken extremely good care of me.
tecar442 , thanks for the walt vallelunga address . I remember seeing some of his handy work on oldsmaniac's thread . Those chambered pipes looked better than anything else I have seen .
don71 , YOU , have described exactly what I was thinking of 4 months ago. Poverty / Dog Dish caps on perfectly paint matched wheels , and show the original wheel covers , in the trunk , or in a radio flyer wagon...
As some of you might be guessing , my build has gotten way out of control.
I'm not a cost is no object kind of guy . And the finished product might not be what I wanted.... The dreaded trailer queen... But once I got into it..... Everything I have done , just had to be done...
Per forum rules , no pictures , it has never happened !!!
I just wish my checkbook felt like all this has never happened << HA >>
Great advice to all , thanks , JT
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
same but different

Jimi, just take it one step at a time. Let us know how it comes out. Its no big deal.

I say that while you're sitting on the edge of your seat I know your are sweating it out.
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

I'm looking forward to the finished product. I think you'll be plenty happy with the Gardener setup.