Interior hood lock info needed

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Interior hood lock info needed

Hi Guys,

Looking around I see a guy on Ebay selling a one piece interior hood lock cable. I'm taking about the interior lock that bolts under the dashboard and slides from left to right. I don't know anything about these, but he's saying they were different in 70 and 71-72, with a one piece cable in 70 and a two piece cable thereafter. Is that right?

With regards to the actual latching mechanism that bolts to the hood latch brace located between the grilles.....is there a special latch needed for the interior hood lock....or can the cable be attachd to any hood latch? I ask this because I see Fusick and others selling the interior lock as a kit, with both the cable and the latch.

I had never really cared for the interior hood lock, but now that I think about it......it would be pretty easy for some A-wipe to pop the hood on my 70W and steal the OAI setup. So maybe with the world being what it is today the hood lock isn't a bad idea.

Thanks,
bob
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM

I was looking at the exact same thing from what I can tell there is a bit of a different latch and there is a part that covers where the cable hooks to the latch to protect it. The Parts Place sells the one piece cable but I'm not sure about the other parts - hopefully someone really familiar with these will chime in
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:16 PM

I took one out of a 70 Vista.The only thing I got is the slide piece and I was wondering about cable and how it hooks to the tong?
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM

The '71-'72 units used a two piece cable w/ a plastic coupler. Hood lock assy's were interchangeable and available till '72 both on A and B bodies. The hood assemblies were pretty resilient, the cables and plastic components.........eh, not so much. Fortunately I believe the housing/levers are reproded as well as the cables by a fella named Scott Schmitz in Ottawa OH, email 442olds@Bright.net. Good quality product, reasonable price for a nice option that could very well save you a lot of grief in the future.........Good luck in your conquests!!!!!!!!
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM

They do have both one piece and two piece cables and different latches. I've got one installed in my 1971 flat top wagon, here's pictures of the 2 piece cable running along the top of the fenderwell.

P1010015-4.jpg

P1010016-4.jpg

Here's pictures of the standard latch on the left, and the latch required for the inside hood lock on the right.

P1010023-3.jpg

P1010024-3.jpg

P1010025-3.jpg

P1010026-3.jpg

The problem with these locks are that the cable is a one piece wire, and I've come across several that had the wire broken. Here's a picture of the wire where it connects to the under dash lock.

P1010021-5.jpg

It's still a nice option, but in the late 1980's and early 90's my daily driver had a OAI hood on it. I was concerned that two guys with ratches could steal the hood in less than a minute. So what I did was drill a hole in the secondary hood latch and ran a bicycle lock through it. I had to reach up through the bumper to unlock it, and there was no way I could pull the hood in a hurry, but I slept better knowing there was a good lock on the hood. Here's one last picture where I drilled the hole. Something I could easily swap out some day to return everything to original.

P1010017-3.jpg
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Great info guys.............thanks!

regards,
bob
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM

I always liked the idea of having a hood lock but if someone was going to take the time to grab stuff under the hood I would think they wouldn't mind cutting the top of a convertible to release the hood lock, I have only seen the hood locks on a few convertibles, I know it could have been ordered on them but it seems to make more sense on a hardtop - what's your thought on adding it to a convertible?

I actually did a version of what John did I welded a chain to a flat peice of mettle that I stick into the hood and when the hood closed I used a lock to attach it to the bumper support - but I'd prefer not to do that to an original OAI hood.
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Steven, since your car came with so many options it may be fun to add one of these to it. But your right, someone willing to steal parts wouldn't think twice about slashing your convertible top John
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM

'Back in the day' there was a hood lock made by Chapman - key was round like an alarm key, and anything exposed to the interior was casehardened steel!
Just pushed in when you wanted it locked, insert key, turn and release to open.
Hardened pin into a hood bracket, it also killed the ignition, when locked!
Mounted under the dash, or even 'in' the dash - they're not getting under the hood, or driving away your car!
VSI warehouse in Indiana had a few thousand - don't know if they still do.
Granted, not factory, but better than a gone car!!

Last edited by Rickman48; February 19th, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Also--be aware that the straight metal rod that runs from the hood lock mechanism down to the pivot/relay IS A DIFFERENT LENGTH compared to the standard hood lock setup (the hood pull handle also attaches to this "pivot/relay" that I refer to).

Hood pull handle and the pieces that comprise the "pivot/relay" deal are the same as the standard hood lock setups.
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Registered

Who leaves their car anywhere unattended except for locked in the garage at home???
Locks are for honest people, the scumballs can open the door in about thirty seconds or less or break the window and pull the hood release if they really want the parts.
It would be more than likely that they would just take the whole car if you leave it parked anywhere you would have to worry about anything like that.
The only thing that hood lock would do is prevent some yahoo from opening your hood to see your engine, brazen people open hoods like they're looking at a used car at shows and cruises and even sitting on the street.
That hood lock is a cool thing to have option-wise though.
I think I need one bad.
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:21 AM

I installed the Parts place locking latch kit and it worked well, after the mandatory egging of the latch mounting holes so the hood would close.
I guess most repro parts need modification to fit right, though...
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM

I've had my T-44 hoodlock jam in the locked position twice, I like 2Blu442's "lock" a lot better.
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I've had my T-44 hoodlock jam in the locked position twice, I like 2Blu442's "lock" a lot better.
My T44 (2-piece factory installed) is broken at both ends and will 'lock' if I slam the hood. I left the dust cover off so if (when) it locks I can reach up and unlock it (it's an F-ing PITA though!). The only reproductions are the earlier one piece cable. If I can find a 2-piece cable I'll probably replace it. Maybe I'll drop a line to Scott Schmitz.
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Great info. As stated, this option might not keep the whole car from being stolen, but it could save your OAI hood/air cleaner to the tune of several thousand dollars! Some theives might not know to look in the car for a hood lock?
I have used the chain through the hood latch to bumper with a padlock before also. It is a pita, but if you pull the coil wire before you lock it somewhere, the only they can steal it is by towing it.
I put the hood lock option on all my cars & keep the car in sight whenever possible. If you buy a used one, make sure to get all the parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 3849.jpg (99.6 KB, 17 views)
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr

I just went through this on the 70 W-30 convertible. The latch somehow got stuck in the 'lock' position even though the underdash lever and cable were moving smoothly. We ended up holding the lever in the unlock position, jiggled the cable, and pulled down on the vertical rod HARD with vice-grips and by some stroke of good fortune it popped open!

I am seriously thinking of converting to the standard latch assembly from one of the parts cars.
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
'Back in the day' there was a hood lock made by Chapman - key was round like an alarm key, and anything exposed to the interior was casehardened steel!
Just pushed in when you wanted it locked, insert key, turn and release to open.
Hardened pin into a hood bracket, it also killed the ignition, when locked!
Mounted under the dash, or even 'in' the dash - they're not getting under the hood, or driving away your car!
VSI warehouse in Indiana had a few thousand - don't know if they still do.
Granted, not factory, but better than a gone car!!

http://chapmanhoodlock.com still sells it! $100

or

Amazon Amazon
$80

Amazon Amazon
$100

Last edited by JSPajak; April 19th, 2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:19 AM

I am looking for the cable that runs from the hood to the plastic connector (including the plastic connector). Does anyone know where I might find one?
Old June 14th, 2017, 01:51 PM

I have a 68 442 convertible with a W-30 set up (not Chinese either) and I would love to install some kind of hood lock but will it fit without any drilling involved Richmond48 may have exposed the best solution if it fits. Good point on some low life slashing your top (last thing you want). Does anyone know or as one in their 68?