Interchancable body panels?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Interchancable body panels?

I have a badly rusted 68 convertible. What body parts are interchangable with other years. I need to replace everything, innerfender wells, doors, quarters, floors, and most importantly the sheet metal below the front windsheild down to the fresh air vents. I need a to buy a donor car with good sheet metal and I am not sure if I have to stick to 1968 only or can I browse for 1969 as well?
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi. Welcome to the site. I know this is your first post, so one thing that would really help is letting us know what model of Olds it is. That being said, I looked at your profile and I assume its the Cutlass in the picture that we're talking about.
1. Are you sure that you want to restore this particular car if it's that badly rusted and you have to replace all those parts?
2. Maybe look for a really good project car and use any leftover parts from yours on it.

1968 and 1969 have a lot of interchangeable parts. But they are the only two model years that I know of that share similar body panels.

There are aftermarket suppliers who have parts for your car if you want to take this on. Also keep your eyes peeled on ebay, they occasionally have some really nice parts up for grabs. BTW, buying parts isn't hard, but the price of shipping them is sometimes a bitter pill to swallow.

Alberta?? Where in AB are you? I'm in Edmonton.

Last edited by Allan R; November 13th, 2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: xtra stuff
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Alberta442
I have a badly rusted 68 convertible. What body parts are interchangable with other years. I need to replace everything, innerfender wells, doors, quarters, floors, and most importantly the sheet metal below the front windsheild down to the fresh air vents. I need a to buy a donor car with good sheet metal and I am not sure if I have to stick to 1968 only or can I browse for 1969 as well?
The rear quarters are different on a 69 due to the taillights. You need a 68 donor.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Hello Allen R, I responded to your email but I am not sure if it made it back to you. This my first foum type of internet use and I am learning how it works. Thanks for the help. My car is a 68 442 convertible 4 speed. I intend to restore the body back to original but I want to upgrade the suspension, options (a/c, tilt column, etc), and install a fuel injected engine. Maybe an LS6 if it fits the motor mounts. I want a car that my wifw and I can roar down to the Okanogan or into the states with. Take care and thanks for the response. I would like to meet up with you as I am in Edson and travel to Edmonton frequently.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Again welcome! For a close supplier in Idaho try classicautopartsonline.com They are just outside Hayden Idaho...a five hour drive or so from you....well worth it...they have some nice 68/69 parts cars...great guy to deal with and reasonable pricing...dont wait long cause the good stuff goes fast! http://www.classicautopartsonline.co...ldsmosbile.htm