How much is this 1970 Oldsmobile 442 worth?

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2021, 11:11 PM

Question How much is this 1970 Oldsmobile 442 worth?

New user here! I apologize if this is the wrong section to post a question like this, but I couldn't find a better place.

I was thinking of purchasing this 1970 Oldsmobile 442, but I wasn't quite sure what to look for, whether there were glaring issues that I was overlooking, or other things to take note of, such as value.

Tons of photos are included here: https://imgur.com/a/piBahbJ

Finished in gold with black stripes (work done 2017 and the factory vinyl roof was removed at that time) over a gold interior (redone during current ownership), the car is powered by a 455ci V8 paired with a three-speed automatic transmission. Features include air conditioning, power-assisted front disc brakes, power steering, dual hood scoops, a rear spoiler, and an AM radio. Service during current ownership reportedly included an interior refresh and replacement of the exhaust, alternator, power steering pump, heater core, gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel sending unit. This 442 is now offered with a Protect-O-Plate, delivery documentation, manufacturer’s literature.

Exterior features include a fiberglass dual-inlet hood, a rear wing, 442 badging, chrome bumpers, red plastic fender well liners, and polished exhaust outlets.

Chrome 14″ Magnum 500 wheels feature black insets and wear 245/60 BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires with raised white lettering. Braking is from power-assisted front discs and rear drums. Recent service reportedly includes replacing the coil springs, shock absorbers, and emergency brake cable.

The interior is upholstered in gold vinyl with a matching dashboard, carpets, and door panels. Amenities include air conditioning, an AM radio, and a center console with a locking storage compartment. The seller states that an interior refresh included rebuilding the front seats with replacement foam and covers as well as replacing the rear parcel shelf, ignition lock, carpets, door panels, and door locks. The headliner was replaced under previous ownership.

The four-spoke steering wheel frames a 120-mph speedometer, a clock, and a fuel-level gauge. Gauges for coolant temperature, oil pressure, and voltage are mounted below the dashboard. The five-digit odometer shows 48k miles, approximately 100 of which were added by the seller. Total mileage is unknown.

The 455ci V8 was factory rated for 365 horsepower and 500 lb-ft of torque. The carburetor has been rebuilt and replacement components include the power steering pump, alternator, fuel pump, and exhaust system.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a three-speed automatic transmission. A replacement gas tank, fuel level sending unit, tank vent, and straps have been fitted.

A Protect-O-Plate, purchase order, owner’s manual, and manufacturer’s literature are included in the sale. A dealer copy of the shipping order is also included and shows equipment, optional features, and a total retail price of $4,682.

Let me know if there's any other information missing. Does this look like a solid 442, or should I avoid it? Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2021, 11:29 PM
Banned

Check the VIN. Ask for records. Ask for before pictures. I love Nugget Gold on a 70 442. Ask for the body tag too.
Old July 21st, 2021, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Check the VIN. Ask for records. Ask for before pictures. I love Nugget Gold on a 70 442. Ask for the body tag too.
I agree, it looks great! Were those things not included in the photos? I thought I saw them.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:16 AM

Does something sound off about it when idling? or is that just me?
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:47 AM

Pinstriping on trunk lid is wayyyyy off. "442 badging" might be a clue.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 05:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

That car is on BaT today. Lots of documentation, including a build sheet. It's a Framingham car, so obviously not a real W30 (and not advertised as one) but unfortunately it has had all the repro crap added. As a Massachusetts native, any car from the rust belt merits inspection with a microscope (and a magnet!). Originally delivered to Culpepper, VA but now in upstate NY. And it originally had a gold vinyl top, so what lurks under that repaint?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2021-07-22

Old July 22nd, 2021, 07:11 AM

Appears to be a well taken care of 442. Trim tag shows code 58 Burnished Gold.that had a Gold vinyl top. Vinyl tops are notorious for allowing water to seep under them contributing to rust forming on the top skin. The pics are all good and the undercarriage is relatively clean. If there is rust around the body mounts, it has been painted over and this certainly doesn't fix any problems. As others have mention the unknown is the condition of the body prior to the repaint. Bondo can cover a multitude of sins and doesn't hold up too well when the sheet metal around it continues to rust.

Ask the seller if he has any photos of the car and or rust repairs prior to the repaint. For me this the condition of the sheet metal is the single most important thing. Rust never sleeps.

tc

Last edited by 4+4+2=10; July 22nd, 2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:42 PM

1970 442

Very nice car looks like, sitting at 35,300 now, thats a deal on that car
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:43 PM
Banned

I bet people are waiting to bid late.

Beautiful car colors wise. You just can't beat a 70 442. Gold? Get out of here. Crazy how people just can't seem to follow thru on the details like pinstripes etc.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 22nd, 2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Very nice car looks like, sitting at 35,300 now, thats a deal on that car
It's still reserve not met, so there is no "deal". I'm guessing the reserve is over $50K, but that's only a guess.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Pinstriping on trunk lid is wayyyyy off. "442 badging" might be a clue.
The biggest indicator for me is the pinstriping curves all the up into the lock for the trunk. It's also very low over the top of the wheel wells.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's still reserve not met, so there is no "deal". I'm guessing the reserve is over $50K, but that's only a guess.
I'm mainly curious why the current owner is selling. Are they trying to flip it? Doesn't really make sense, their garage has various paraphernalia for it. But they only acquired it in 2020, the previous owner had it in at least 2017 to have it repainted.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ScreamingHand
I'm mainly curious why the current owner is selling. Are they trying to flip it? Doesn't really make sense, their garage has various paraphernalia for it. But they only acquired it in 2020, the previous owner had it in at least 2017 to have it repainted.
So ask him. You can log onto BaT and post questions. The seller may or may not respond. Someone may have already asked that.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:15 PM

So ask him. You can log onto BaT and post questions. The seller may or may not respond. Someone may have already asked that.
I didn't think they'd respond. I had looked over those messages the other day, and the seller only answered a couple. Plus, if they're selling it because of some issues, maybe they wouldn't want to disclose that on their own listing.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:38 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Not sure if it’s the sellers description or BaTs, but don’t recall Oldsmobile ever offering “magnum 500” wheels.
Despite that it looks to be great car.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vCode442
Not sure if it’s the sellers description or BaTs, but don’t recall Oldsmobile ever offering “magnum 500” wheels.
BaT editors and contributors write the copy. They are not experts by any stretch.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 05:47 PM

sold for 42K
Old July 22nd, 2021, 06:13 PM

1970 442

Originally Posted by 4+4+2=10
sold for 42K
Great car for that price
Old July 22nd, 2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by V Code
BaT editors and contributors write the copy. They are not experts by any stretch.

The SSI is a "Magnum 500 style" wheel and that is probably what tripped them. Here is a relevant old post from Ed.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...56/#post245910

Originally Posted by 67442nut
Hard to tell for sure from that pic, but, it looks like a Magnum 500 to me.
Got into a similar conversation on ROP recently.
I posted the pics below of each type of wheel for comparison:

Original SSI wheel:
Attachment 184440

Original Magnum 500 wheel:
Attachment 184441
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ScreamingHand
New user here! I apologize if this is the wrong section to post a question like this, but I couldn't find a better place.

I was thinking of purchasing this 1970 Oldsmobile 442, but I wasn't quite sure what to look for, whether there were glaring issues that I was overlooking, or other things to take note of, such as value.

Tons of photos are included here: https://imgur.com/a/piBahbJ

Finished in gold with black stripes (work done 2017 and the factory vinyl roof was removed at that time) over a gold interior (redone during current ownership), the car is powered by a 455ci V8 paired with a three-speed automatic transmission. Features include air conditioning, power-assisted front disc brakes, power steering, dual hood scoops, a rear spoiler, and an AM radio. Service during current ownership reportedly included an interior refresh and replacement of the exhaust, alternator, power steering pump, heater core, gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel sending unit. This 442 is now offered with a Protect-O-Plate, delivery documentation, manufacturer’s literature.

Exterior features include a fiberglass dual-inlet hood, a rear wing, 442 badging, chrome bumpers, red plastic fender well liners, and polished exhaust outlets.

Chrome 14″ Magnum 500 wheels feature black insets and wear 245/60 BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires with raised white lettering. Braking is from power-assisted front discs and rear drums. Recent service reportedly includes replacing the coil springs, shock absorbers, and emergency brake cable.

The interior is upholstered in gold vinyl with a matching dashboard, carpets, and door panels. Amenities include air conditioning, an AM radio, and a center console with a locking storage compartment. The seller states that an interior refresh included rebuilding the front seats with replacement foam and covers as well as replacing the rear parcel shelf, ignition lock, carpets, door panels, and door locks. The headliner was replaced under previous ownership.

The four-spoke steering wheel frames a 120-mph speedometer, a clock, and a fuel-level gauge. Gauges for coolant temperature, oil pressure, and voltage are mounted below the dashboard. The five-digit odometer shows 48k miles, approximately 100 of which were added by the seller. Total mileage is unknown.

The 455ci V8 was factory rated for 365 horsepower and 500 lb-ft of torque. The carburetor has been rebuilt and replacement components include the power steering pump, alternator, fuel pump, and exhaust system.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a three-speed automatic transmission. A replacement gas tank, fuel level sending unit, tank vent, and straps have been fitted.

A Protect-O-Plate, purchase order, owner’s manual, and manufacturer’s literature are included in the sale. A dealer copy of the shipping order is also included and shows equipment, optional features, and a total retail price of $4,682.

Let me know if there's any other information missing. Does this look like a solid 442, or should I avoid it? Thanks!
So.......did you win the auction?
Old July 25th, 2021, 07:37 AM
Banned

I bought it

I am the new owner of the 70 olds 442 that sold on BAT. Can't wait to get it. Thought the price was worth it and will find out soon. I actually did not know i was the highest bidder till the owner called me. I had something I had to do so I put my final bid in with 1/2 hour left and thought i would not get it.
Old July 25th, 2021, 07:38 AM

Congrats……….welcome.
Old July 25th, 2021, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Guinnessman
I am the new owner of the 70 olds 442 that sold on BAT. Can't wait to get it. Thought the price was worth it and will find out soon. I actually did not know i was the highest bidder till the owner called me. I had something I had to do so I put my final bid in with 1/2 hour left and thought i would not get it.
By all pics and descriptions my gut says you bought a very nice car for a very fair price..you could never build that car for anywhere remotely close..Congratulations.. I own a 70 gold on gold car, hopefully it will be that nice at some point as well..
Old July 25th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Congrats on your purchase, maybe when it arrives you can answer some of the unanswered questions posted on here.
Old July 25th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Running On Empty

Congratulations on taking ownership of a very nice 4-4-2.
Old July 25th, 2021, 04:50 PM

Congrats on your purchase, very nice looking car. Did you by chance know about this forum before you bought the car? There are some VERY good resources here that will help you out when needed.

All the best with your new ride.

tc
Old July 25th, 2021, 05:06 PM

Congrats
Old July 29th, 2021, 06:57 AM
Banned

Thank You All

Thanks for the kind words. As soon as i get it I will update everyone on the questions. Looking forward to the forum. First time on a forum so still figuring things out.
Old July 29th, 2021, 06:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andylappin
By all pics and descriptions my gut says you bought a very nice car for a very fair price..you could never build that car for anywhere remotely close..Congratulations.. I own a 70 gold on gold car, hopefully it will be that nice at some point as well..
Thanks! I love the color!
Old July 29th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4+4+2=10
Congrats on your purchase, very nice looking car. Did you by chance know about this forum before you bought the car? There are some VERY good resources here that will help you out when needed.

All the best with your new ride.

tc
Thanks, Did not know of the forum before buying the car. came across after and saw this thread.
Old July 31st, 2021, 08:35 PM
Banned

I love a gold 70.
Can I ask. Why an Oldsmobile? Really cool smart people like Oldsmobiles best. Just curious.
Old August 1st, 2021, 05:53 AM
Banned

I love a gold 70.
Can I ask. Why an Oldsmobile? Really cool smart people like Oldsmobiles best. Just curious.
I must be a really cool, smart person then LOL! I have been in the market for a while now. I started a family early in mid 80's and had to get rid of my 1967 Chevy II Nova. I decided not to focus on one specific car because there are so many cool late 60's early 70's muscle cars out there. I need an automatic so choices were limited and i wanted something with character. My Dad was an Oldsmobile man also. Just got the car yesterday and is in great shape but has some little issues here and there that will give me something to tinker with.