Four-row radiator in '67?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM

Four-row radiator in '67?

I'm in the final stages of rounding up the parts to get my '67 finished up this summer. I've got a 3-row radiator with a shroud now to cool my 455, and while I didn't have any problems with cooling when the car was last driven, I'm adding a ton of horsepower this time and want to make a pre-emptive strike by upgrading to a 4-row radiator.

So what parts will I need to locate? I'm sure I'd need the larger saddles, right? Where would I find these? Will I be able to continue using my factory shroud?
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
442forsure

Keith

What diameter size is the shroud on your radiator? I want to put a shroud on my car but I have a 19inch fan on a 425 engine so the shroud from Supercars is too small. Was your shroud stock on your car? Would you mind sending me a picture of it? My Email is patcar@shaw.ca.

Thanks

Pat
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:13 AM

I realize this thread was started a couple months ago. But if you've not found the saddles yet I know Fusick sells them. John
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSmobility
I'm in the final stages of rounding up the parts to get my '67 finished up this summer. I've got a 3-row radiator with a shroud now to cool my 455, and while I didn't have any problems with cooling when the car was last driven, I'm adding a ton of horsepower this time and want to make a pre-emptive strike by upgrading to a 4-row radiator.

So what parts will I need to locate? I'm sure I'd need the larger saddles, right? Where would I find these? Will I be able to continue using my factory shroud?
I asked this same question a couple months back. The answer I got was there are no 66/67 cars that had 4 row radiators. If you want to use a 4 row you will need to modify the existing saddles or replace them with ones from a different car that had 4 row radiators. The saddles on the 66/67 are stamped steel and spot welded in place both top and bottom, and all used the same saddles, 2 row and 3 row radiator cars. But both top and bottom mount plates are removable, both bolt in place, so you can remove them and work on them on your work bench. I'm sure there are many ways to do the necessary mods to accept the wider tanks on the 4 row radiators, this is what I did. First I got the radiator I wanted to use. I bought an aluminum radiator from Alumitech ( http://www.chevellecooling.com/ ), he built a 2 row with 1.25" tubes which is what I wanted. The tanks are the same width as the brass 4 row which you indicated you want to use. So after I received the new radiator I measured the tanks to see how much wider the new was than the old. I don't remember the measurement but they could vary anyway, when you get yours you will get your own measurement. The saddles are spot welded onto the mounting plate, both top and bottom, so I cut the saddle on one end (I used the end toward the front so the added width would not interfere with my factory shroud mounting locations). I cut it on the outside of the front spot weld, so in essence I cut the end off of it. Then I moved it forward the amount needed to make room for the wider tank and welded it back in place. So they were now wide enough to accept the wider tank. Bought new rubber pads from Fusick. It all worked as I planned it and the new radiator fits great.
Another thing I did. The 66/67 rubber pads are held in place with rubber tabs pulled through a hole on each end of the saddle, so when the saddle is made wider the pad will no longer fit in the holes as before. I didn't like the way the saddle went down the front and rear of the tanks which is where the holes for the pads were located. I thought most cars had very little in that area, most are just slightly turned over the end of the tank where mine were a long way down. I decided they didn't need to be so long so I cut them off to resemble some other cars I have owned. Then I glued the rubber pads in with black weather strip adhesive just to hold them in place long enough to bolt it all in place. After bolting it all in place it is not going anywhere anyway. I also trimmed the sides/edges of the saddles on mine as I thought they were too big and I wanted them smaller. It all worked fine for me. If you want pictures I could post them.
Mike

Last edited by 66luvr; June 11th, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Mike: I appreciate your reply. That doesn't sound like too much to incorporate, so I'll follow your lead.

patmills: This is a factory '67 Cutlass shroud. The opening measures 20-5/8".

(click to enlarge)

The top mounts to the radiator top plate, the bottom mounts to these brackets:

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Keith, I did pretty much the same thing as Mike to install a Summit aluminum radiator in my 442. I just drilled out the spot welds, cut the saddles (and pads) in half, then reattached them by plug welding through the drilled holes. Pop the pad halves back in and everything bolted right back up. The only hitch was that the petcock interfered with the frame rail, so I scooted the rad & mounts over a bit to the passenger side to get enough clearance.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:22 PM
442forsure

Keith

Thanks for the pictures. The shroud I received from Supercars in Portland is not like your shroud at all. I am going to send it back.

Do you know where I could buy a correct shroud. Fusick stocks what appears to be the same one as Supercars. If I could find a used one that would be great, but to search up here would be futile. Any ideas??

Pat
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Pat, take a look at The Parts Place part #CS1640T.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
442forsure

Thanks Copper128. Looks like the one I already have. After having looked more carefully at Keith's pictures, I may be able to make mine work. The factory manual doesn't show the brackets used to attach the shroud but Keith's pictures do so I'll have a go at it.

Thanks again.

Pat
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
CQR

I don't know if it matters anymore, but I just did a 4 row in my 67 442 stock motor today. We drove it to Colorado from MN. and had to keep the speed down around 55 to keep the temp below 220F. I put a metal 4 row, a Delco thermal fan clutch (A/C car) a 160F thermostat and stock fan blade and shroud. Have yet to exceed 185F. Yes, I'm Pleased.