General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

3-row to 4-row; Need Input

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2010, 04:03 PM

3-row to 4-row; Need Input

I want to upgrade the radiator from a 3-row to a 4-row on a 1970 442. The factory set-up was a 3-row, four blade fan, no fan clutch and no shroud. Are any radiators better than others and will one fit on like the original? Do I just go to a parts store and order a replacement, or should I get it from of one of the Olds speciality vendors? I don't want to get into one of those "universal fit" situations where I have to make a bunch of alterations. Will there be issues with going from a 3 to 4, such fitting the core support? I realize I will have to get a different top plate to fit a 4-row. The set-up is for a manual transmission so lines will not be an issue. ...And the big question I probably should ask to begin with: Will the upgrade be a big improvement over the 3-row, or should save my money for the coming world economic melt-down?
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

As far as the actual radiator...
I found a link on the board recently to this place.
They have Harrison radiators and some very nice looking aluminum reproductions that are direct fit,very efficient and can be painted or left raw.

Nose around at the site for a while and read,you might find something that interests you...I did.

http://www.alumitechreproductions.com/58.html
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM

they are not really a "direct" fit. both the steel cradle and rubber inserts are different from the 3 to 4 core. you can buy the steel cradles and drill out the spot welds on the radiator support and weld on the new ones. the top bolt on support needs the cradles cut off and trimed and the new ones welded on. with basic skills and a welder it is pretty easy to do. I have done several and if you have a spot welder no one has been able to tell them from originals.
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM

Are you upgrading, because you have a problem? If you have a heating problem, I would change to a clutch fan first. Also this car came this way, and probably did not overheat, so maybe figuare out why it is over heating, before you make a lot of changes.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Fusick offers the top plate with insulators and lower cradles with insulators. the lower cradles are spot welded but aren't too difficult to remove. a couple of 3/16" pop rivets will secure each of the replacements. the location of the lower cradles is critical for proper fit of the radiator. measure twice, pop once.

also, on the cars with shrouds there are two brackets that anchor the lower shroud that would have to be moved rearward.

Last edited by Blk71SX; June 15th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM

did you think about putting and aftermarket expanson bottle and shroud on the car before spending money on a radiator
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM

I plan on putting a shroud and fan clutch on. I plan I driving the car a little farther distances than I have done in the past. I just want input on whether putting in a 4-row radiator is overkill. I don't have air conditioning on the car. As far as I know, if I do put in a 4-row I will have to change the brackets and the top plate. Is there anything else that has to be done?
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-install.html

The above link describes the the aluminum 2 row (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ator,5391.html) I put in my car. Modifications were necessary, so far I am happy with the radiator. I still have the stock fan, no shroud, no fan clutch, and I have A/C.

For the price it was not a bad option for me.

Side note: Speedwaymotors (due to my negative review of how the radiator was advertised as a direct replacement) has added a "Note" to ensure that people are aware that the radiator desciption is for reference only. And measurements should be made, etc. before purchasing.

d1
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM

a shroud, AC Delco thermo fan clutch and a 6 or 7 blade HD fan with the 4 row will make you as cool as the Fonz
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM

I put a 4 row rad in mine years ago. I didn't have to change the top plate. My 442 came with a seven blade fan, no clutch, no air but it did have the shroud. I'm surprised to hear that the 70 442 came with a 4 blade fan.