Driving Factors?

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Driving Factors?

I'm sorry, But can others tell me why someone would want a clone anything? I know there are good answers. Thanks
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Trying to remember member

1. Affordability.
2. Wanting to do things to it that they don't want to to modify a "real one" to do.
3. Affordability.
4. Wants the "real one", but not interested in originality.
5. Affordability.
6. Want to make money passing it off as a "real one" (which is still affordability)
7. Affordability.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Oldsdruid

How do you spell clone? M-O-N-E-Y!

Maybe I'm jaded, but to me the only reason to clone a desirable, high-dollar car is the desire to make a pile of money fraudulently. Unless, of course, the cloner is willing to disclose 100% that the car IS a clone and not the real thing.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM

I have 3 girlfriends and have been considering cloning myself.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM

I have to chime in on this one. wmachine hit the nail on the head four times. Affordability! I would give all of my teeth to have another 69 H/O, but I just don't happen to have 80,000-100,000 extra dollars laying around. What I do have is a '69 Cutlass S that I have owned since '84 that would make a nice "clone" "replica" "tribute" whatever. I did own a 69 H/O and totaled it and I still have some of the unique parts from it. So I would do it to reclaim something I love but can never afford to replace original. I will also ask, what do you love about your car. I don't think it is the VIN. It is the appearance and performance. Yes, there are unsavory individuals that take advantage of this. It doesn't mean that every clone started with the intent to defraud anybody.
The muscle car has turned into a rich man's toy/investment. It is unfortunate for those of us who don't walk in rich man's shoes.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Wow

Thanks all,
All these reasons are really good and true. I have an automatic nothing special except all it has ever had was a repaint(same color) and transmission rebuilt. I'll never restore it to its showroom condition because I like the original. Ida is a true 41 year old car.
Thanks again for your replys.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM

I can't wait to clone a 70 hardtop W-30 to match my convertible - and why a clone - two reasons, 1) AFFORDABILITY 2) non originality

I love my W30 but being a W-30 that is 40 years old and totally loaded while never having been modified its hard to do anything different to it and yes I enjoy it (but love hearing from all the experts how its not a W-30 because 70 automatics didn't come with power steering or power brakes or cruise control or A/C or........... I'd love to have a 70 cutlass, paint it to match my convertible and do things like aluminum heads, headers, lowered suspension, 5 speed, 17 inch alloys, comfortable bucket seats, racing harness, fuel injection, even turbo charge it and it would still be half the price of a W-30 that needs to be restored.

Then again I would love to have a real 1970 F85 with a 350 4 speed and leave it as is just as much.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

I personally don't have a problem with clones, as long as they are fully disclosed (which also means the cloner should not go overboard in trying to create a perfect -- potentially fraudulent -- clone).

I'd love to have an original Monet or Van Gogh hanging in my living room, but I really don't have $7 million sitting around to spend on one. So I'll settle for a good quality art print. If I knew a talented artist who could paint me an even more realistic likeness for less than a grand, I'd prefer that, and see nothing wrong with it.