Courtresy lights fuse '68 442

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:47 AM

Courtresy lights fuse '68 442

I had a bulb break (globe came out of base) on one of those small courtesy lights under the dash, bought a new #90 bulb, put it in, twisted it in the socket, but couldn't get it to stay. So, like the genius I am, I tried a #97 bulb, and the moment the bulb contact points made contact with the socket, I heard a pop, and all of the courtesy lights went out. Thinking it's a fuse, I tested all of the fuses in the panel on the firewall on the driver's side with a continuity tester, even blowing the bulb in one tester when I tested a 12v hot circuit, and all of the fuses showed continuity. Is there a secret fuse for the courtesy lights? Which fuse is for the courtesy lights if it's in the fuse panel on the driver's side? Any help will be appreciated.

Second issue: I push the horn button in the center of the steering wheel, and I hear a clicking, but no horn. Any solutions?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by kansjfr
... I tried a #97 bulb, and the moment the bulb contact points made contact with the socket, I heard a pop, and all of the courtesy lights went out...
Which fuse is for the courtesy lights if it's in the fuse panel on the driver's side?
Left hand row of fuses, second from the top (third from the bottom), AGC 25 amp., labelled:

"CLK LTR CTSY."

Originally Posted by kansjfr
I push the horn button in the center of the steering wheel, and I hear a clicking, but no horn. Any solutions?
So you've got power from the battery to the horn relay to the horn button to ground -- that's all good.

Your problem is from the horn relay to the horns.
Could be the horn relay, the wire to the horns, or the horns themselves.
So, test to see whether the horn relay terminal that goes to the horns is hot when you push the horn button - if it is, then the relay's good,
then see whether you have power at the horn terminals of the wire when you push the button -- if you do, then the wire's good,
then run a hot jumper to each horn terminal, just to be sure it's really the horns.

You'll find it, and it's probably just a dirty connection.

- Eric