Could you help me?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2010, 05:41 AM

Could you help me?

Hallo,
Ive become a proud owner of Olds. Ive bought my „dream car“ – 1970 442. The car was arrived a month ago, but its in worst condition than I expected. Because I will have to buy spare parts in USA, any mistake will be expensive. I ll be very happy for any advice.
  • What are limits for correct compression pressure at cylinders?
  • I have to replace a carburetor. Old one is unusable and wrong (7041250). I want to buy new one (Holley, Edelbrock…..), but I have no experiences. Which one can I use? I don’t want to change an intake manifold (the car has OAI).
Thank you very much for your advices.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Congrats on the new to you car, and welcome to the site!

If the engine has some miles on it I'd be more focused on the difference between cylinders. I've always gone with the idea they should be within 15 pounds of one another. I've had high mileage engines with around 125 pounds per cylinder that ran well without using excessive oil.

I think it would be simpler to stay with a quadrajet carb. There are a couple good rebuilders than can make an old carb run like new again. You could have the carb that came on it rebuilt and it would function just fine. If you want the correct number for the 1970 442 you'll have to pay a little more for a good rebuildable core. You can post a parts wanted ad on this site looking for one. Then also watch ebay. When you have time please post pictures of your car, and post any additional questions that may come up. John
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

I think that's the carb I need if I switch to a four barrel, '71 350 w/auto trans.
Going off the top of my head would the 7040251 be the one you need?
I've seem guys switch out Q-Jets for forever and they almost always end up going back to them.
I've never had a carb that worked better in all conditions and I've been around the block a few times.
I agree with John and to avoid any potential headaches I would get the correct Q-Jet or have that one rebuilt to your engine's specs.