70 442 grills, Repop vs Original... Pictures

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM

70 442 grills, Repop vs Original... Pictures

I have had this question asked several time in the past 6 months. here are some pictures of a new right side reproduction grill from Fusick and a NOS original right side.

NOS

Repop
100_3188_zps5e536f4a.jpg

NOS it nice and crips with sharp edges
100_3194_zps6e4a9a7e.jpg

Repop is not as crisp and rounder edges
100_3195_zpsca9e77c1.jpg

NOS do not need nuts because the screw will thread into the plastic
100_3197_zps471e4b55.jpg

Repop hole is to big and require a nut on the bottom side
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM

100_3198_zps7204179e.jpg

Repop has big hole
100_3201_zpsf6304956.jpg

Nos bars are very even across them
100_3203_zps05442fa1.jpg

Repop are very uneaven
100_3202_zpse99724d8.jpg

Tops look pretty close to the same
100_3208_zps61d14c03.jpg
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM

My opinion of the repops are that they are a nice part and fit just fine for 99% of all the 442s out there. If you are looking for that perfect original look you had better find some NOS but expect to pay out the nose for them IF you find them. This is a Fusick set. I have never seen any other brand but I hear that Fusick 70 grills are the best reproduction out there.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Wow...that repop looks pretty shoddy if you asked me. It's better than a old broken one, but the QC is TERRIBLE!
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:11 PM

I agree they could be better but at $300 for repop and $1200-$2000 for NOS it is not to bad of an option.
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:37 PM

On a related topic, does anyone have recommendations for masking and painting techniques to get the little black bottom supports just right? I assume the OEM didn't carefully apply masking tape.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:41 PM

You need to understand something relating to the Fusick '70 grills.....these were the FIRST grills they had repro'd and this took place A LONG TIME AGO (well before all the "offshore/outsourcing" trends were even a thought).

I'm thinking these were done WAY BACK in the '80's. So....imagine what tooling/mold making costs were then. My suspicion is the number would scare you especially given the "market" at that time. And there wasn't any massive musclecar restoration craze taking place. Since that time I also suspect that a person looking to repro something like this has a much larger choice of more accurate technologies, etc to produce molds, etc AND at a MUCH CHEAPER COST.

Put yourself in their shoes (and "wallet/investment risks") AT THAT TIME. ANY larger repro pieces like this, especially back then, were quite a surprise in terms of being made available.

Last edited by 70Post; August 20th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
You need to understand something relating to the Fusick '70 grills.....these were the FIRST grills they had repro'd and this took place A LONG TIME AGO (well before all the "offshore/outsourcing" trends were even a thought).

I'm thinking these were done WAY BACK in the '80's. So....imagine what tooling/mold making costs were then. My suspicion is the number would scare you especially given the "market" at that time. And there wasn't any massive musclecar restoration craze taking place. Since that time I also suspect that a person looking to repro something like this has a much larger choice more accurate technologies, etc to produce molds, etc AND at a MUCH CHEAPER COST.

Put yourself in their shoes (and "wallet/investment risks") AT THAT TIME. ANY larger repro pieces like this, especially back then, were quite a surprise in terms of being made available.

I am told from a reliable source that Fusick just redid the molds in the past couple years and these are the new ones but I can not confirm that.
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM

You are correct, they started selling the 70 442 grills sometime in the mid to late 80s.

I'm thinking these were done WAY BACK in the '80's. So....imagine what tooling/mold making costs were then. My suspicion is the number would scare you especially given the "market" at that time. And there wasn't any massive musclecar restoration craze taking place. Since that time I also suspect that a person looking to repro something like this has a much larger choice of more accurate technologies, etc to produce molds, etc AND at a MUCH CHEAPER COST.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
On a related topic, does anyone have recommendations for masking and painting techniques to get the little black bottom supports just right? I assume the OEM didn't carefully apply masking tape.
I hand painted mine using a small paintbrush, it's time consuming but better than trying to mask it off with tape. You would probably have to remove them to notice it.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM

I don't know how the 70 grilles fit but I can tell you the 71-72 reproduction grilles fit horrible. There's a thread on them in the major builds section.
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Unhappy Re: Fusick Re-production 442 grilles

I have a great idea! Have Fusick take 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible, and clone it into a 442 W-30 and drag it across Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale in January 2014.

Using the profits from the auction- (like the one that went for $250,000) in Palm Beach this past April- REMAKE the DIES for another round of 1970 442 Grilles, THIS time with greater accuracy and quality control- and HOPEFULLY made in the USA and not outsourced to Taiwan.

Problem solved

oh yeah btw- have The Parts Place re-tool the reproduction 1970 Headlamp Bezels while they're at it.... clone another car and drag that through a Scottsdale B/J Auction also and Hopefully- the 110 dollars I spent on a set of USELESS aluminum Headlamp bezels which absolutely DO NOT FIT- would be re-done this time with the PROPER mounting holes, so it will actually fit on the car!

I mean really- WHY even try to make a reproduction part- if its just going to not work. My 110 dollars I gave Ron Memmer 5 years ago for my headlamp bezels, make for beautiful garage wall art ! - Over 4 tiny holes MISS stamped in what other wise COULD HAVE BEEN - a pretty nice looking set of re-production head lamp bezels for a 1970 W-31.
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:42 PM

I'll take a repop one anyday, looks pretty damn close to the original if you ask me.
The slight variance isn't something I'd even notice with it on the car.

I notice the price went up about $75 in just 3 years ......parts places are jackholing their customers....

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 26th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:15 AM

The originals were not always painted that well.You would be lucky if the whole grille was painted.You have to realize that these were production parts for production cars.they were not building them as show cars in 1970.My 70 Cutlass grilles had the bare yellow plastic exposed to the majority of the top & backside.These are one of teh least-painted grille sets that I have owned.I have since had them repainted to what I consider "better than original",as the whole grille is painted.
As for the reproduction grilles,yes,the tooling has gotton much better,as with most of the reproduction parts these days.Nate actually used a set of repop grilles on his red car,instead of the NOS ones that came with it from the previous owner.The NOS ones had a slight sag along the tops,as most do,whereas the repops didn't,and in his case,he found they fit his car better,so he used those,and sold the NOS ones.He did respray them,along with the headlight housings,to get everything to match.
I also have NOS,and mint original grilles,and I have matched them up to some of the latest repops,and the repops look real good.If I didn't already have the originals I would not likely go looking.I would just use the repops and respray them as needed.
The repop71-72 grilles are a great alternative as well.I haven't had any issues with them.All of the originals that I find have some sort of issue that I don't like.Even NOS ones.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:57 AM

I had Steve at Fusick ask Mike or Dave when the repro 70 grilles came out and the word is it was early 90's. They did not remember the exact year without researching it deeper but according to them it was not in the 80's. Remember, in the early-mid 80's most of this stuff was still available through GM. Year One was buying up all of it and selling it at a profit by the late 80's. Thats why Mike Fusick got into repro'ing the 70's Olds parts. To offer an affordable alternative to Year One jacking up the GM parts prices and profiting from it. He had Buick back then also but sold out that part of the parts business to concentrate on Olds.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:15 AM
Senior Moment Member

Many years ago I did a 69. No grilles were available at the time that I could find anyway.(1989) We glued and pieced the original ones back together. They turned out pretty good all things considered. Now you can get pretty much everything you need from the internet. The mirror on the car was wrong. Jut some plastic cheapie until I could find a good one. I had the original rechromed and it came out with holes in it from the rust. No good.

Old August 31st, 2013, 07:27 AM

Nice 69 442 !
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:49 AM

Hello,
Just went through the same. Repop's were (I thought) bad....I complained about the first set paint (on top) and within 2 days they sent another set. 1st set was better... anyway I have the complete set two outer, two center, and the chrome bezel's around the headlights. Got the hardware install kit from Inline Tube.
What color should the (3) screws that ties the plastic parts together be? The kit from Inline Tube comes with 3 silver phillips screws (to connect the assembly) but as you know they are to small in diameter OEM was (.25) diameter so they would screw into the plastic.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
DRXOLDS
Old January 1st, 2022, 03:32 AM

I am bumping this thread. I get this question often. Also, with repops getting some age they are popping up on the used market and people could easily be tricked into paying to much if they don't know what they are looking for.
Old January 1st, 2022, 06:48 AM

This is excellent info
Old January 1st, 2022, 09:02 AM
Banned

Thank you so much jensenracing77 for taking the time to give us all these pictures. Really appreciate the time and effort.