1970 O.A.I. hood identifying marks?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM

1970 O.A.I. hood identifying marks?

I just bought a 72 Cutlass with an 70 OAI hood. Needless to say....I want to sell it and get the correct hood for a 72. Very good shape, steel frame. Been on the car for 15 years or so I'm told. Is there a way to tell if it's oem or aftermarket? Don't see any markings. I think oem would be more desirable and I don't want to say it is if it ain't. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM

post some pics, I believe the screen on the underside is unique to originals, even the good repose the screen is a bit different If it fit your car it would have been for a 71/72. Did it have the front tongue on it or did the hood come not installed on the car?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM

It's over at the body shop but I'll go get a better pic. this week. It has the screen on the underside, molded around the framework. Looks like it is attached with globs of ? in a few spots around the edge. Certainly not a "finished" look. The front tongue extension was removed to fit the center piece on 71/72. Looks like an add-on and not molded as one piece. No damage to the hood, just missing the tongue. The front edge chrome strips are nice, as are the fender extensions. (chrome) It didn't line up across the 72 grilles, but it does bolt up. I installed correct, paint-able fender extensions off a parts car I have, correct hood on the way. The 4 chrome pieces will go with it, so do the hood locks, as I have new ones. Can't figure out how to post a pic. here due to my lack of computer skills. Could someone tell me how? I'm doing a little resto. diary on my FB page, I posted pics. there- Ronald Benvie, Maine.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM

70 hood

I was able to post a pic. in my album. Not very good but you can see the front edge.