1969 sport coupe

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2010 | 01:59 PM

1969 sport coupe

I recently picked up a really rough post car I was gonna use for parts and found it to have power windows it also has rally pac gauges. It is a true 442. Is it rare for a post car to have these options?
Old March 13th, 2010 | 02:10 PM

We love to see some pics

Here's how

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “ Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.

There is a size limit on pics

Oh, By the way,

Welcome aboard
Old March 14th, 2010 | 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by sinclair
I recently picked up a really rough post car I was gonna use for parts and found it to have power windows it also has rally pac gauges. It is a true 442? Is it rare for a post car to have these options?
Does the Vin start with 344? If so, it is a 442 if not, it a Cutlass. Easy to tell on 69 models. And yes, it would be very rare for a base Cutlass post to have these options but remember, almost anything could be ordered on just about any model back then. My Grandfather bought a Monte Carlo new in 1970 and ordered it with base 350/2 bbl, 3 on the tree, which is super rare on a Monte, tach and gauges, bench seat, posi rearend, and solid cranberry red paint. He may have even deleted the A/C which is rare around here for a Monte as well. Post some pics of your 69 when you get a chance.

Last edited by orange442; March 14th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old March 14th, 2010 | 10:10 AM
Trying to remember member

More relatively rare to have power windows because it is an additional cost on a lesser cost model, and it is a power robbing accessory for 442.
Less unusual to have the rally pac, because it is a performance related option on a performance car.
Old March 14th, 2010 | 10:28 AM

W,

Would you venture to say, that 442's were more highly optioned than say, Cheby SS 396?

Kurt, [the 69 H/O advisor] says, There are more 69 H/O survivors with A/C than w/o. The theory being [I beleive] that they were sold to an older more creature comfort oriented clientel. Sort of "The Gentleman's Hot rod" theory.

I'm curious on your take-Thanks
Old March 14th, 2010 | 11:20 AM

Olds promoted the the '69 H/O as the "executive hot rod". Not having a very good marketing track record, they were, however, right on the mark in this case. Refined power, not raw power. Great handling, not just straight line capabilities. Even though the performance market was still straight line oriented. Not measured by horsepower per dollar.

I have no doubt that any comparable Olds models were more highly optioned than the Cheby ones. That was the general position (and price) that Olds had in the market. I see no evidence that their respective performance cars were any different.

But I must say that the combinations of options I've seen on '60 cars (Oldsmobiles in particular as I've looked at then more closely) do not always "make sense" for what the apparent intended use of the car would be. Just like the power windows in this case. Why so many odd combinations? Yes, I'm sure there were some odd requests from individuals. But not as many as we see. From the info that I've been able to gather, the majority of cars ordered were ordered by *dealers*, not individuals. And apparently most of the order forms were checked off by the sales managers. Who knows what *they* were thinking when they ordered the cars, but I'm guessing when they chose the options, they wanted to order a variety to show customers what the options were "in person". Thus *many* odd combinations out there.
Old March 14th, 2010 | 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
W,

Would you venture to say, that 442's were more highly optioned than say, Cheby SS 396?

Kurt, [the 69 H/O advisor] says, There are more 69 H/O survivors with A/C than w/o. The theory being [I beleive] that they were sold to an older more creature comfort oriented clientel. Sort of "The Gentleman's Hot rod" theory.

I'm curious on your take-Thanks

A 69 H/O with out factory air was likely sold in the northern part of US(think salted winter roadways) while air conditioned cars sold were more likely to be in warmer climates. Salt and rust could destroy a car in 6 or 7 years.

Henry
Old March 14th, 2010 | 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 66400
A 69 H/O with out factory air was likely sold in the northern part of US(think salted winter roadways) while air conditioned cars sold were more likely to be in warmer climates. Salt and rust could destroy a car in 6 or 7 years.
Henry
Indeed. If you lived in the south and could afford to spend the extra to get an Olds, you'd go the extra to get the AC too in the vast majority of instances.
Old March 14th, 2010 | 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 66400

Henry
Good point Henri

Unless of course it went to Florida and it would be gone sooner.
Old March 14th, 2010 | 11:34 PM
is Fast Enough ...

With power windows you can lower your windows after your pass as you cruise past the spectators ...