1966 P/S pump rebuild now not working

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM

1966 P/S pump rebuild now not working

The power steering pump seal was leaking on my 66 442, so I bought a kit and replaced all the "O" rings and shaft seal. Pump was working fine until I replaced the seal, etc. Installed the pump and new hoses this afternoon and topped it off with fluid. Now, the power steering pump is not working. The exploded diagrams in the shop manual do not show enough detail for me to know if I put it back together wrong. I turned the wheel all the way left and then right to bleed the system, but the fluid level did not change and did not help. Help!
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
2 '66 98's

After rebuilding a power steering pump, it has to be installed and placed back in operation in a specific manner. I did the same thing after having mine done by Chip.
Somehow the valve get stuck inside and it has to be redone. I think I have the proper procedure in my papers somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
2 '66 98's

Per GM Saginaw Division - Engine OFF, turn wheels full left, fill reservoir to Full Cold, leave cap off. Raise front wheels off ground. Engine still off, watch fluid and turn wheels lock-to-lock at least 20 times. Trapped air might cause some fluid spillage. Stop with wheels at full left. Start engine and let idle while observing fluid level. After 2 minutes, install cap, return wheels to center and lower front to ground. After another 2 minutes, turn wheels in both directions. Operation should be normal. If so, you are finished. For problems such as bubbles or foam in fluid, check that all hoses have good connections with no leaks. Correct any problems and repeat procedure after a short cool down period. Good luck!
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Bigoldscruiser, Many thanks for helping solve my P/S pump problem. I followered your instructions and now have power steering. Your help is greatly appreciated.