83 Delta 88 questions

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM

83 Delta 88 questions

Here is a pic of my 83 Delta 88 Royal Brougham. I do have several questions that hopefully someone can answer.

First thing is that the heater just will not put out much heat. I have replaced the thermostat and the heater valve. I have a feeling that something is screwed up under the dash. In vent, with the temp set on high, the center vent blows cold air. According to the service manual, it shouldn't have any air flow. I had to work on the electrical selector on the heater control as it was shorting out when moved to AC or Defost. I do have the correct airflow on heat and defrost settings. Do I have a control door broken?

Secondly, is there a place to find the window channel. The driver's side door has gone to pot and leaks cold air, not to mention the wind noise is kinda a pain.

Third, I plan on down the road putting a set of Ralley wheels on it. What color would they be painted, the light or the dark color.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0516.jpg (88.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0517.jpg (74.7 KB, 40 views)
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Welcome to the site! I'm not familiar with the 1980's vintage so someone who is may be better able to help you. I expect it has a valve on the engine, passengerside on the back, that allows hot water to circulate to the heater core when the engine is warmed up. You might check that to make sure it's in good condition. I suspect your year has a wire going to it, if so make sure that it's hooked up and getting power. The problem still could be under the dash, but I like to start with the easiest thing to reach and check hoping I find the problem sooner than later John
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Some suggestions

Originally Posted by dnswancutt
First thing is that the heater just will not put out much heat. I have replaced the thermostat and the heater valve. I have a feeling that something is screwed up under the dash. In vent, with the temp set on high, the center vent blows cold air. According to the service manual, it shouldn't have any air flow. I had to work on the electrical selector on the heater control as it was shorting out when moved to AC or Defost. I do have the correct airflow on heat and defrost settings. Do I have a control door broken?

Is your AC tempmatic or 4 season? Your service manual sounds wonky, if you put the selector to vent, it should blow whatever temp setting you selected on the lower slide. If you are not getting proper heat, you might consider back flushing your cooling system first. If that doesn't do much, you might have a blocked heater core.
re: broken door? possibly. you might also have a faulty programmer/compensator, that will do the same thing. I had that happen on my 83 regency. The vacuum wouldn't close the door assembly as it should have to block off outside cold air mix and I was getting warm/cool air, but it went through all cylcles of upper/vent/lower. My system was tempmatic (automatic) AC. If I remember right, you might have to take the dash pad off to work on the programmer and heater core. Check your shop manual.

Secondly, is there a place to find the window channel. The driver's side door has gone to pot and leaks cold air, not to mention the wind noise is kinda a pain.

Check your local wreckers. You can use 80-84 Olds 98 and Buick Park Ave, as well as 80-85 Delta and Buick LeSabres for spare parts. The window channels go down below the door post at the front and back. If I remember right, they're just glued in with that black goop, so you should be able to take them out fairly easily, just do it carefully.
Third, I plan on down the road putting a set of Ralley wheels on it. What color would they be painted, the light or the dark color.

Olds 15 X 7 inch rallye wheels will work on a Delta. You need this size because 1. your car uses 15 inch (duh) and 7 because you need the offset for your disc brakes. Makes it look quite sporty. As for color? Whatever you want, it's your car. I would go with the lighter color to offset the lower body panel. The other option is to get a set of 15X7 SS111s and chrome them. Then you don't need trim rings or bezels, just the center caps.

BTW, while you're at the wrecker you can also pick up the missing rocker chrome and plastic mounting clips. My clips broke on the drivers side and you can't get them from GM. I know that 98 and 88 are compatible, but not sure of the Buick lower trim. I think it may be the same on the Park Ave. You know how to take of the trim without breaking the plastic clips, right?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Hi welcome to the site. You might want to post your location so if anyone in your area knows of any parts. They can help you locate them.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Heat:
Sounds like the valve on the pass rear of the engine. Mine will stick from time to time, when it sticks, no heat. On my 78, it's vacuum activated. If yours is vac act'd, make sure the hoses are in good shape and plugged into the right place. If it's electrical, same applies.

Doors:
That sounds like vacuum problems. Check the selector switch, if it doesn't work, most times I've found that to be the culprit...
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I have changed the valve off the engine, but no real difference. But then again, I haven't driven it any distance since I changed the valve.
Allen R, it is the 4 season AC and like i mentioned in my original post. The selector controls an electrical switch that opens the various vacuum lines. This was shorting out when I got the car. I cleaned it up and made it work, but I may not be getting good enough contact. I had a line on a complete NOS unit on eBay, but they where sold out.
I have access to a salvage yard that has about a dozen 88/98's in it. Just need to get up there an pick up various items.
I really shouldn't complain, the car only cost me $250.00 buck. I have more than that in it with new tires and shocks.
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Various 88/98s???

Any 77-79 2Drs??
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Actually they have one 77-79 98 2 door. Car looked as if it was driven in. Not too bad of shape all things considered. I know they had one 77 sedan and maybe an 80, but they where in the crush pile.
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dnswancutt
Actually they have one 77-79 98 2 door. Car looked as if it was driven in. Not too bad of shape all things considered. I know they had one 77 sedan and maybe an 80, but they where in the crush pile.
I'm trying to track down the plastic for the B-Pillar and rear seat window area. I'm hoping to find really nice condition, not dried out rotted pieces. hehehe
Old December 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM

Nice cars there man! You have a rare 88...don't see many with the Holiday package. Does it have the rallye gauges?

I have the same problem with the window channels on my wagon...plus the door gaskets are all cracked...side effects of the AZ heat.

Nice to see another Olds/Ford fan out there
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

I suspect your problems are due to more than one failure, but the general lack of heat is almost certainly due to a broken bellcrank on the temp blend door. Remove the glove box insert and you can follow the temp cable to the top of the heater box. The cable attaches to a plastic bellcrank that operates the temp blend door (for selecting hot air or cold air). This is a VERY common failure. You can get a new bellcrank by ordering Four Seasons P/N 74806. About $7 from Rockauto.

Old December 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Nice cars there man! You have a rare 88...don't see many with the Holiday package. Does it have the rallye gauges?

I have the same problem with the window channels on my wagon...plus the door gaskets are all cracked...side effects of the AZ heat.

Nice to see another Olds/Ford fan out there
Mine has the Rallye Gauges now... Still working on getting them to work right, but it is slowly becoming an optioned car!

One day, I'd love to find out how many were made.
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:07 AM

i have a 84 delta 88 and the no heat problem seams to happen to these cars a lot first make sure your heater core isnt clogged when the car reaches 190degrees (operating temp.) feel both inlet and oulet hoses from the heater core they should both be hot if not then your heater core may be clogged, 2nd thing is, the air intake for the heating and a/c is at the bottom of the winshield so on a cold day its just takin all the cold air thats coming down the windshield and forcing it in which basicly makes your heater core a raditor, im not sure in the intake for the heater has anything to do with its performance of your heater but maybe make a hose going from inside the car to intake air from inside thats not to cold might help like the recirculate feature on many newer cars
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM

and i just noticed your car looks exactly like mine, it looks like your paint is dark briar brown metallic i think paint code 66 , ha its like a spitting image of my car (paints faded in the same spots as mine) only thing is i dont have the hub caps on, someone stole one so im not letting them get the rest, plus i hate the locking hubcaps puttin them on and takin them off, but for 250 what a steal i paid 550 for mine