Olds delta 88 custom L31 questions HELP !

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM

Olds delta 88 custom L31 questions HELP !

Hi guys !

Im from the Netherlands (Europa) and own a 1971 Oldsmobile delta 88 custom HTC with the L31 (455) package. The car is fully original ! (100,000 miles) and i have it from its first woner in the us.

I have the tags and broadcast sheet etc! , but cant find ANY info anywhere
on this car ! ( who many build , etc etc.) DOES ANYONE HERE or do you have
any info ??? iff so i would be VERY greathfull. If needed i can provide all tag's data etc.

Over here not much is known on Olds cars...

Here is a pick:

Old September 24th, 2006, 12:50 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
There were 14,067 Delta 88 Custom Holiday Coupes built in '71. The L31 was the optional 225hp 4-bbl 455. Dual exhaust was optional and raised hp to 250. The L30 185hp 2-bbl 455 was standard.

If you want to know anything else, you'll have to be more specific.

Paul
Hi Paul thanks for your reaction sofar.

My buildsheet / engine code UO (matching) tells me the engine should have 365 Sae HP ! ? so i cant tell,dont quit understand how you got to the 225-250 HP ?., the carb is a 4 barrel rochester no:7041251 RC 3630

Dont know what you need on info too be more specific ( iff possible) on buildnumbers and data but here is some more info on the car,

My vincode = 364571E1242xxx, and the the L31 option is on all the emblems
on the car ( rear emblem, in the stripekit on the hood,on both front fenders) etc. And on the original stripes at the rear its says: 455 rocket. Also the
trunklid has a couple of rows of louvres in it ( dont know the meaning of them there..)
The trans = a 400 turbo Hydro matic. The car color is original.

Is this helpfull to provide more details ?

Some olds guys here say there are only a handfull build of this type / model.?
but the cant realy back it up...

Sorry for my bad english....
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:55 PM

They lowered the compression ratio for 1971, probably the 225/250 HP was under-rated a bit, this was when they were changing over to unleaded fuel which this car can run on. Nicer driving car then the 1970 and before cars. I have 2, 71's full-size, a convertible and a 98.
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
They lowered the compression ratio for 1971, probably the 225/250 HP was under-rated a bit, this was when they were changing over to unleaded fuel which this car can run on. Nicer driving car then the 1970 and before cars. I have 2, 71's full-size, a convertible and a 98.
Hy Ken,

Im no real expert , but i believe that what you are saying is for the later 1972 year engines. Mine still has ( factory original) high compression.

As with al muscle motors/cars the indeed changed the Sae rules 71/72 and as off 1972 most / all high perf. engines were killed of by the enviroment regulations etc, just by lowering compressions and ad all sorts of env.****.

But as said , ( and i cheked on the motor) this engine of mine is an original
HP / high compression motor. ( thank god.... )

But i still hope i can find out more about this type of car......., and how many in this configuration were build, especialy because its one of the last treu "muscle" oldscar
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Past Administrator

Hi, what a nice car! I answered your pm before i went to the forum listings and saw this thread so I didn't address the horsepower issue. I think that '72 was the first year for the "weak" low compression engine but what difference does it make anyway? I am sure you are totally elated with your car and love the way it drives?! I agree with Kenny, the '71 and later models ride much better. I had a '72 Delta four door sedan for a family car back in the mid eighties and it was a dream to drive, my wife loved it! It was yellow and the kids called it the "bannana boat".
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Thanks

Thanks Oldsguy !.( also for the PM !).. hope you find out more..

As you said , i agree fully !. This car looks like a too heavy slow motion car...
BUT !!!! as a Musclecar fan ( and have more cars) i can say...

THIS THING RUNS LIKE CRAZY !!!.. Very fast enad steers fantasticly for
a this big a car !. And because of its good originaly maintained condition
it's like going back too the seventies every day i drive it !. WOW. i love
to drive it. No rumbles, engine runs like a swiss clock , brakes are suberb!
etc.

So yeb, your wright... fantastic cars.... THANKS
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:55 PM

You can still make a fast motor with low compresion my 69 delta 88 with a 455 has an 8.5 to 1, but the whole motor was built as a low compresion pump gas rocker. Running 15.2 1/4 mile on 6 in. wide white walls with 89 octane pump gas. I like it, I even ran into a little bit of the the old leaded atitive a while back that motor came alive. And NICE car I want it, but I'm sure its cheeper to make a fake ( but the spirit is never there with a fake ).
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Hi Paul !

First! , thanks for taking the effort to answer...!

Well im a bit stuned...., not for the figures of HP , because in that area there is many discussion about those things , no matter what car . But! al my paper work just keep on saying 365 HP (sae?/gross i dont know for sure) books, Other Olds fans and folks, olds engines websites, etc etc for the 70/71 L31 engine... , The compression ratio is above 1:10.3 , as i cheked that and has dual exhuasts ( i believe without it was 350 ..). ( motor is still 100% original and untouched!.) but as said . lets leave that for know, its not THAT important , its fast , that i do know ( and i am a dragracer so i know what fast is......... For sure ! its not an oldspeople car...it handles very good aswell! ( very thick stabilizers,anti roll bars etc(i believe original.)

I ask info here! so thats why i ask on this forum... so DONT think my comments are against you or something, NO THE are not !, just doubts and free discussion too learn more about this "strange" ? car ....

I cant remember where or when... BUT someone ( internet) told me once this car is one of about aprox 36 build sporty Olds ( in this set up) , and little is known about it , i didnt give it much thought back than , but i always asked myself , well , what about that , how can i check etc... and over here almost nobody knows anything about types of cars that are different than the standard cars...

BUT: , i will make fotos of all the emblems (the olds L31 ones ), but the realy seem VERY original!!. ( one on each front/side fender and 1 on the trunk, )
Also it says L31 on the hood in the small stripe around the black out part of it ( on the sides in red letters. ( i have a pick from that, and will also uploud later..) & why should someone fake that and SCREAM L31 everywere with emblems etc, if the motor is only 225 hp etc ?
BUT ? maybe someone did...? and had al decalls and stripes etc specialy made etc, you never know. Although i cant believe that...

The rear decal / stripe says 455 rocket on the sides ( the rocket word in gold/yellow ish..).and seems very original and like it has been always on the car.

IM NOT sure the blackout hood is the original way , but the stripe around it, the decalls and all other details seem original.
I have full buildsheet etc with the car ( and al original cowl and trunklid stickers are still in place.) so maybe we can find something there later on ?but i cant decipher all those codes, because a lack on input... .

Offcourse i will check you emble,/spec list too ( dont have the car here)., and tell you what i find there too... So ill get back too you asap..But the al seem to match , exept for the additional oldsmobile L31 decalls etc.
Another forum member here is checking out the car aswell i believe.

THANKS for know... !!., ill give more info asap ( ps dont misunderstand my bad english... , im dutch so difficult to realy communicate in a good way in mails...)
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
Pedal,

If you've seen websites quoting 365hp, I would like to know what they are. I would like to see what you are seeing. That might lead to a better understanding.

Factory compression was 8.5:1 across the board in '71, even in the W30 high performance engine. Engines build up carbon over the years, increasing compression. Maybe that is why yours is testing at 10:1.

It is very possible that the package your car has was installed by a dealer, or a regional or local dealer marketing group. In that case, without documentation, you really don't have anything to go on.

It is also possible that someone went to alot of trouble and expense to have decals and emblems made up because they wanted the car to be different, or because that is what they liked. The graphics are not hard to do. Most sign painters or stripe places can do that stuff. The emblems are a different story. They would almost have at be cast of something - either plastic or metal. A mold would have to be created. That's a lot of expense and work to make 3 emblems to put on one car. Now, if there's another GM car out there that for some reason used emblems that said L31, problem solved.

Do you have the ability to scan the buildsheet you have?

Paul
I will get al neccesary stuff and get back here in a couple of days ( im off for work for a view days..), The webs and book data im 100% sure i can find it.
I believe there was also something on a olds ROCKET forum somewhere.
Were the L31 70/71 was a high performance 455 in that year.
BUT maybe im wrong , but dont think so.

The emblems are so very fitting the oldsmobile logo's above that i dont think
there fake...

Maybe its ? as you say a special dealer type car ? does anybody now of these dealer car(s) ? was there a "yenko"type of olds dealer anywhere ?

BUT as said il get what is possible to figure out this car !

THANKS again so far !
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Here

Here are some picks of the decals etc.!

Any help in Identifying the car type etc ?

ENGINE CODE: UO / 1143761
VINCODE: 364571E1242666
L31 option package.

More details ( buildsheet info) will follow.

HERE ARE THE WEBLINK FOR MY MOTOR:
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofbbb.htm

Its says L31 :

Engine : 390hp 370hp 365hp 365hp 320hp
HP@RPM : 390@5000 370@5200 365@5000 365@4600 320@4200
Torque@RPM : 500@3200 500@3600 500@3200 510@3000 500@2400
Comp. ratio : 10.25-1 10.50-1 10.50-1 10.25-1 10.25-1
Carb : 4bbl 4bbl 4bbl 4bbl 4bbl
Exhaust : dual dual dual single dual
Cars : W33 W-30 W32 L31 L33

So compresion checks 1:10.25 and HP 365 !
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Hi

Well paul , incase of the decalls / tags i cant speak against you , because
i dont no eather if or what not original or special etc.
Although the rearside decall (455 rocket) is 100% correct , car has a 455 rocketmotor ( as also stated on my original air filter housing !, and other body items ) So im not realy confinced quit yet that its not a special sort of car etc.

But i keep thinking your wrong at the 71 engine specs. The lowered compression was done as from late 71/earlie 72 , MOST people tell me. Also the weblink i give is only one of many wich state its a 365hp car...
Also as i said earlier , i cheked my compression and cheked at 1:10+ aprox too so....
BUT HE.. i wasnt intrested so much in the cars HP as i still ! am in the origin.
I do also still believe , maybe its a dealer special, etc etc. because its al too proffesional done to be a privat job. The builtsheet i have states some things
too, ill check in too that again...

I thank you sofar ! , for your effort and opion!
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Past Administrator

I do not know, wish I did. I lean toward the idea of a dealer package of some sort which may mean that car is one of a very few depending on how big the dealer is and how many of the L31 Deltas they sold. It is a very nice car though and regardless of it's origin you should keep it this way.
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I do not know, wish I did. I lean toward the idea of a dealer package of some sort which may mean that car is one of a very few depending on how big the dealer is and how many of the L31 Deltas they sold. It is a very nice car though and regardless of it's origin you should keep it this way.

Thanks for your findings, i agree, also becuase i think MAYBE the engine also has more HP than ( iff oldsguy is correct ?) its year , it also could be that
that particulair dealer also prepped the engine a little ( higher compresion etc)
Also strange is that the car has dual exhaust instead of single ( L31 had single). But the headers on the car seem very original , ao ar al the gaskets.
The engine is matching , but i didnt check out the heads etc. wil do so.

Yeb im very happy with the car and thats the most important , although.... my curiosity keeps me searching for answers... as you might understand.
especialy IFF its a rear ride... , iff not.. and some privat owner did it, no
wurrys , im still happy with it !

But some stories do say its 1 of about 30 build / deliverd in that year , by who
or what i , as you , do not know.. sadly.

Thanks guys !, iff there is ANY news ..no matter by who... lets keep eachother posted... please...
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Damn that's a nice looking car!

How are the gas prices over there? Do you drive the car much?
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:48 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Redog
Damn that's a nice looking car!

How are the gas prices over there? Do you drive the car much?
Thanks for the compliment !...

Gasprices sinds YEARS.. crazy over here... , i know in the US prices went up
the last time , but we pay more than double your prices ( everywhere in Europa BTW..), so your still very spoiled over there.... In fact iff you see things clearly we support your low gas prices and pay for the enviromental
costs too .....

But it doesnt matter , money must move, and yeb i / we still drive a lot , crazy enough you see more! muscle cars and old v8's on the street here
than when i visit the US ! , For daily driving diesel is populair here too and
so is LPG ( a kind of liqued gas, like were you cook on). Although most
cars run on petrol still.

Next too gas prices , we pay an additional tax for the road each year, ( not for oldtimers older than 25 years btw...) its about 1200 dollars p.year for a midzise car.....

So enjoy !!!! your ENORMESLY LOW prices... the will go up and up and up
there too i garantuee it....

BUT ! that wont get us down.. muscles and big v8's for ever !
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:27 AM

The car is beautiful!...I have been a member of the Oldsmobile Club of America for more than 30 years and I can tell you that the car is not factory and not dealer installed. Someone did a very professional job restoring and customizing your Delta. The black stripe and hood insert is similar to the 69 Dodge Superbee. It is a very nice look for your Olds and very professional. Great care was taken to make the paint and emblems look factory. It is obvious that the car has been repainted and I would guess the engine has been rebuilt with performance in mind. If that is the case you will have higher horsepower than factory. If the car was some rare edition surely others would have heard about them and factory literature would be available. GM and dealers didnt tool up to make only 30 cars....it is not financially feasable. By 1971 Olds was out of racing and performance was almost dead. I own many Oldsmobiles some pretty rare. I know a lot about the rarer cars from Oldsmobile like the 66 W-30, Hurst Olds, Rallye 350 and the like.....sorry but the L-31 edition that someone put together was his own creation. Good Luck with your one of a kind and beautiful ride!
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Olds Delta

PEdal, I agree with Oldsmaniac. I've been an olds watcher since 55. THis car is someone's custom wish car, perhaps even a dealer aftermarket custom who missed the old vintage big car sleeper "hotrods" like the Starfires and wanted them back instead of the 442's. I would have bought it, thats for sure. Nicely done. How bout posting some full body shots?
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM

In answer too Oldsfan & Specman. :

Thanks for the words guys !... And although im not a stubern guy.... , i still keep on searching for more info on this car. Didnt find the time yet too show my buildsheet and fendertags etc, but that, and offcourse ( specman) some better pics of the car etc.

In answer too some remarks:

Ths muscle car era was VERY alive in 1971 , oke maybe not hugely by olds , but see the Hemicuda's , challengers , Camaros etc. Also around 70/71
there were MANY dealers / shops who sold there own special cars..
also in SMALL amounts... Take Mr.Norm ( mopar ) who up untill 73 made
special cars ( demons and darts mostly) , Yenko ( also small numbers) ,
etc etc. SO ! its 100% not unthinkable that maybe there was a olds dealer
who did this too! ( if it was a succes i dont know). But i have all the first owner papers & buildsheet and maybe via that way i can find out more too.
I remember something about a handling package on the sheet , but not sure.

Engine / gearbox/ drivetrain etc etc ALL is matching numbers, and i dont think
touched or tuned sinds its origin ( 100000 original mile car...). And although some repaint work was done here and there, mostly it still has it original paint
and all the factory decalls (warning stuff etc) is still in place. The car doesnt
even have 1 serious rustsport or bubble !...

BUT ! maybe its wishfull thinking, i dont know... But its in my opinion too much work done for a private guy ( easpecialy with this model...its not a special 'stang etc..) Although the car handles fantasticly and brakes superb.
I drive and have many other muscles (mopar mostly: cudas, RR,s, etc), i must say that this car in power and steering is absolutly fast !, and handles
suberp! for sucha " hughe" car. I kill many camaro's ( and a mopar or two.... etcwith it !.

Although the car is going to be for sale one of these days, i still would like
too find out the story behind this "one of a kind" Olds...

Ill keep searching , and some more data & pics will follow here !

THANKS !:
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:24 AM

In answer to Pedal:

Ths muscle car era was VERY alive in 1971 , oke maybe not hugely by olds , but see the Hemicuda's , challengers , Camaros etc. Also around 70/71

I did not mean to imply that the muscle car era had passed. What I mean is that the day of the full size car with hotrod muscle had been taken over by the smaller cars. I ALWAYS loved Olds big cars and the Olds models from 50's J2's , and 60's Starfires and Jetstars. Hot rod limosines!

We used to cruise in my uncle's 1965 Ninety eight couple on Friday nights.
18 feet of behemoth car (425 cu in/365 hp) First thing was to "convert it" to its hotrod state by pulling off the hubcaps and air filter. Then go around blowing off all the kids and friends small block Chevys and Fords at the red lights. Surprised alot of them with the long burn outs and 2nd gear rubber. Fun. Most people never realized what ***** they had.

I cant believe I would have misssed your car if it was a regular line offerring then. I graduated college in 1970 and had I seen it that would have been the one I bought. I wonder if it is a COPO vehicle. (Corporate office purchase order)?

HAve fun with it.
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Hello, I have the factory booklet for 1971 covering all the models. They say the redesigned engines can run on unleaded regular or leaded regular or any grade of gas. First year for the redsigned G-Machine ride for handling. They moved the steering box to the front and front disc-brakes standard on the 88/98's. I have two 1971's, a convertible Delta Royale & a 98, both 455's, both lo-compression. Lo-comp. is really not a bad thing, one can run any grade of gas. My Delta will roll pretty good. Even though it is still 8.5 to 1 compression, I figure it is 350 HP at the flywheel. It's rebuilt, Comp's Cam 268H, .456/.456 lift, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 670 CFM, Crane modual, Hooker Headers, Torque-tube, 2 1/4" dual exhaust. I really like your 71 Delta. The early Deltas had "more" louvers in the trunk-lid. After the first month they changed it to less louvers, both mine have the less louvers as yours does. They problem with the more (double) louvers were exhaust fumes were being pulled up into the vehicle so fumes could be smelled. New design, ess louvers, foam rubber eliminated the fumes. Nice car!, Ken 71Delta010.jpg
GreenMachine.jpg
Old November 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM

A lot of data!

Hi Guys... I have been surching alot and found alot of info on the car..

( AND THANKS KEN ! for your input !, Would LOVE to own a convirt Delta one of these days too !.. FUN CARS !

First of all, NO MORE HP & compresion discusions ! its a genuine 365HP 1:10.25 compression motor CODED: U0 4. I found official documents of olds and the F85 body and the all state the same !!!
These HO455 L31 engines were build UNTILL 71 and AFTER 71 the HP went down al the way because of compression dropping and enviremental demands etc. So I ! im 10000% confinced thats 100% sure ( car handles like it too !0

I also read some articles about this car as a police special ! with al the goodies there too. Here are some specs :

0-60 6.9 / 1/4 mile standing 15.2 at 90.6 mph / Topspeed: 145mph

That matches my own findings quit a bit ! ( but deu too better tires i was even a bit quicker..)

AGAIN... This is 100% treu data.

I didnt find out more about the exterior L31 items on the car , but i have the
buildsheet and found out its a first owner car ! ( came directly from first woner..) sad that there are no phone numbers etc so i cant contact him.

Here is the option / buildsheet data :

Job: 00843836 sched date 20/01/27

11:axle-QP / 12 frame AD-2 / 13 Frt 27-61 / 14 Rear RG-RC / 15 ft.spring BX-BT /16 rear spring Ud-UD / 17 frnt shock KB / 18 rear shock DH / 19 strg knuckle DH / 20 strg gear HM /21 Stab.bar 067 / 22 propshaft 1-blk / 23exhaust FB

26 engine UO4 / 27 trans OR / 28 speedo gear(unreadable looks like RLZ ... / than some pulley **** and than:/38 engine harnes KM

43 Tires: KADF / 44 hydropierce d-4 / 45 radiator ND / 46 hoses YK-YG / 47 Batterycables NM-NR / 49 frt end harnes KL / 50 fuel gauge:2 /53 aircleaner OI / 56 wheel trim STD /57 fanshroud 895

59 whls BX / 60 strg&color SP-A / 61 strg whl 0-OBLA / 62 Hliner DA / 63 W/hose DE / 64 shelf trim BA / 65 door pads black /

76 model 36457 / 77 trim 340 / 78 top B / 79 color lw 67.up B . w.19 / 80 A 81 mstr cyl XB-XB / 82 speedo cable OB / 83 IP harness KP / 84 instr cluster TA / 87 IP pads OBLA-A / 89 bodylamp harness BC / 90 : Hz8x15-B WW FBG

91 engine tune label: OG / 92 Tyre press OD / 93 cons info book 04 / 95 A-82 / 96 PH-6 / 98 54-TF / 99 SML / 101 ** / 102 CA-DA-AA / 104 trans cooler lines : 261-26 /

107 :

C60 airco / A01 tint glass / A31 Pwr windows / A65 notch bck st / B32 frt flr mat / B80 rfdrip mldng / B84 bdy sde mldng / D93 dr edge grds / c08 blk vin top / c49 el rr wdw de / c60 airco / c87 sail pln lmp / d15 dlx a/rests / d33 rem o/s mir / d34 vis van mir / fg2 hd f shks / L31 455 ?NG 4 bbl / M40 autotrans / P26 tire ww fbg / u25 lug cmpt lmp / u26 uhood lamp / u27 glv box lmp . u29 ctsy / map lmp / electr.clock / U63 dlx radio / Y60 accy pkg grp

Then some numbers:BS* C60 A31 B84 C08

5 24411111 D 2 44 1 LJ002 ST* AAF VOORQP 4067 BBXBTUDUD 0201

Charged too :

Robert green chev/olds inc
Broaddway 129-131
Monticello
(this dealer syill exist!)

Linden plant etc etc

Further more i read some stuff that this was treuly the last of the olds musclecars , and in itself ( with or without L31 exterior) a rare car, because
olds real muscle cars in those days were mostly Cutlass 442 cars..

Howfar this is a rear car , i cant tell , but even to find other L31 engined
cars is hard for me.
Im on a lead that there were some dealers making additional options on cars and even sold options seperate from the factory.. its a fresh lead but i will look into that some more !

Iff anyone has some additional info ??? let me know !

The searche continues !!
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Smile

Here is a picture of a 1971 Olds 98 that is one of the Olds in my collection. It runs nice, it has the "big" 4-barrel 455 cu. in engine. It also has a posi rear-end. I can ship it over. Later, Ken71Delta013.jpg
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:13 AM

this is the first 70's model delta 88 that looks so good... i wanna restore my 72 delta 88 soon. i added some small parts but not much... but your car looks good.. keep up the good work
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM

And I thought I my '65 Starfire 4spd was a weird! Groovy car Pedal!!