Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

This Olds needs new shoes...

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

This Olds needs new shoes...

Alright, so, my '89 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, after I fix the body damage, will need new wheels.

I'd like to get some 16" wheels, it has factory steelies with wirespokes, I do not want to deal with those nightmare hubcaps.

Any recommendations?

Nothing flashy, nothing too over the top, five spoke wheels of some sort would do, or some classic baby moons. I've looked into wheel vintiques, but I can't seem to find any that fit.

Thanks for any recommendation's you can give.

Oh, and, pic's of the tank here:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...tom%20Cruiser/
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Research tires, first. When I last looked, there were virtually NO 16" tires that I liked that were in the sizes I needed. Tons of choices in 17", though.

Other than drag radials, you pretty much have to go to 17" now, in order to get any performance-type tire. The only 16" tires I see now are usually truck tires.

Lee
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by LeeA
Research tires, first. When I last looked, there were virtually NO 16" tires that I liked that were in the sizes I needed. Tons of choices in 17", though.

Other than drag radials, you pretty much have to go to 17" now, in order to get any performance-type tire. The only 16" tires I see now are usually truck tires.

Lee
What he said.

Look closely at tire outside diameter. The stock 225/75-15s on that car are over 28" in diameter. Nearly all 16" tires are in the 25" to 25.5" diameter range. These will be completely lost in the wheelwells. I actually went with 235/70-15s on my 84 Custom Cruiser. I'll probably use 255/60-15s on the back when these wear out, however.
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Thanks for the fast reply, we usually run 235 75 R15's on our '86. I was thinking the same size in 16's would work, I know of a site that sells 'em.

Yeah, they're truck tires, but, they work.

Although, I MIGHT be open to 17's, I don't really like the way they look, tires seem to thin. I do not want something gaudy, I want something stock-ish looking. So, if you know of anything like this, wheels and tires you'd recommend, link away, I'll bookmark 'em.

I found the tires I mentioned on this site

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com

What size would I look for in 17? I've seen plenty of 16" tires that would fit, and I'm not gonna be driving that quick, truck tires would do, after all, it is a two ton car. The main reason I'd use a 350 is 'cause if I build a motor, a 305 would be about the same as a 307. 350 would be the way to go as far as I can tell.

And, according to this calculator

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

There is only a 3.5% difference

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference 235/75-15 6.9in 14.4in 28.9in 90.7in 698 0.0% 235/75-16 6.9in 14.9in 29.9in 93.9in 675 3.5%

On a side note, I THINK the parts wagon we're using MIGHT have a 350, I dunno, we haven't looked, but it's an '85, and 82's to 85's had 350's as an option. Car will cost $400, 'cause I'll be giving the shell back to the junkyard (What little shell there is left..)

Anyway, thanks for the advice thus far, hope you can continue to help.

EDIT:

Did find a set of wheel vintiques wheels I wouldn't mind having, or something similar in black

http://home.earthlink.net/~guy1139/w...topspazzer.jpg

Last edited by Dead Reckon; October 19th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Simple 5 star pattern you could go with Weld Pro Stars or the Summit house brand. You could go with Torq Thrusts too. Expensive, but cool!

Could keep it simple and just stick with Olds Ralleys
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

They make Olds SS2 wheels to fit that behemoth? They'd look awesome in 16 if I could find some repro clones.

I have considered the classic torque thrust, but they are expensive, ungodly so. If I bought a set of those, they might cost half as much as the engine will. I wouldn't mind getting some 16's or 17's for this tank, though I think 17's can look a tad goofy.

Anyhow, if you know anyone that makes cool repro style SS2 wheels, tell me, thanks again for the advice, once I start fixing this boat, and stripping the parts tank, I'll keep ya'll updated with photo's. There won't be much other than a shell left of the parts car, no front end (Not even a radiator support), and no differential (If it has the 350). No bumpers, no lights, no doors. Hell, I'll even yank the windshield 'cause, I'm cheap like that.

As a note, once I get the parts car, ANY and ALL parts I do not use will be up for grabs. Many interior pieces will be free, they are burgundy/maroon. You will have to pay shipping, unless you live somewhere in driving distance. Some exterior bits will be up for sale or grabs too. The dashboard will not be free, as it is a days work to remove, if it's worth removing. The dash, if it's worth taking, can be sent complete. All the trim panels and everything. I think, I don't know for sure, I haven't actually sat in the car, I've just examined it's fenders and doors. Those are what I'm interested in. Haven't even so much as popped the hood.

I am giving away stuff like, the pillar plastic cover panels, kick panels, ash tray, rear quarter storage area panels, rear sill panels (Those you may have to pay for, as they are hard to remove), and other cover panels. I do not need them, and what is left of this car WILL be crushed. Which, won't be much... I figure, keep the parts around, keep the cars around, **** off tree huggers and the EPA that much longer! With an intact interior to boot!

Basically, any part which you can afford shipping on, and which requires me little time to remove, and which I will not be using will be up for grabs, you pay shipping, I send it. I'll create a new thread once I get the car, and the parts are known.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll look into some SS2 style wheels, post what I find.

Oh, and, nice Alero man, my aunt has one of those, she bought it as a used rental almost ten years ago, same color. Paint is going to crap around the front bumper, but, it's got around 200k miles and still running strong. That car is so roomy you could loose a village in it. I was amazed when I sat in it, kept running my head into the door pillar though.. Slanted door pillars always get me, I grew up riding in a B body. Our '86 Custom Cruiser, actually.

Edit:

These ain't classy, but they're the most affordable (And least flashy) option I've found yet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-7676883/?rtype=10

Edit: Edit:

Not sure how I did it, but here's a link on summit racing for wheels with a 5x5 bolt pattern

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...Ns=Price%7cAsc

Might come in handy

Edit: Edit: Edit:

Found pretty much the perfect wheels for, me, and as they reccomended, in 17"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-141-7873GM19/

From what that tire size calc says, I should run a 235 65 17, to replace the 235 75 15

Revs/Mile Difference 235/75-15 6.9in 14.4in 28.9in 90.7in 698 0.0%

235/65-17 6.0in 14.5in 29.0in 91.2in 695 0.5%

HOWEVER, will the +19mm offset be a problem with those wheels? What should the offset be?

What do ya'll think? Google some pics of if you like, I like the way they look like torque thrust, at half the cost!

Last edited by Dead Reckon; October 19th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Wheel Vintques does have an SS2 wheel, in 16's, with a 5x5 bolt pattern, but they are expensive, pretty close to Torq Thrusts
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Yeah, I saw those, they didn't seem to have them in 5x5 though, only 5x4.75".

I found some decent looking 16's that don't cost too much.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-7089-6873/

Not sure if they'll fit, the offset is neutral. I think they'd look pretty good on the olds. Any way of knowing if they'll fit?