Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Joline needs new shoes,..help with sizing??!

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Joline needs new shoes,..help with sizing??!

Hey all, I know this subject has been beat to death, but I haven't been able to find a definite answer anywhere...
I believe the SSII wheels on my 70 SX are stock, (14x7?)
Right now it's got 235 70 14's. I want to put as much rubber in those fender wells as possible. Width for sure, and even height. I don't want fatties in the back and smaller in the front. Just the same all the way around widest high profile rubber I can squeeze in without worries of rubbing anywhere using my stock wheels. Does anyone have any recommendations? Right now it's got Firestone SS radials. I'll probably just stick with the standard and put Goodrich T/A's on her.
thanks for any input.

Last edited by Bluemeanie; October 29th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM
delete

If you stay with the 14's I'll think you'll have a hard time even finding what you have now. 225/70/14 is the most common 14" tire available now. You may be able to find 245-60 which will give you a little width but be a touch shorter as well.

14" tires are a dying breed & 15's are going down that path too.
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bluemeanie
Hey all, I know this subject has been beat to death, but I haven't been able to find a definite answer anywhere...
I believe the SSII wheels on my 70 SX are stock, (14x7?)
Right now it's got 235 70 14's. I want to put as much rubber in those fender wells as possible. Width for sure, and even height. I don't want fatties in the back and smaller in the front. Just the same all the way around widest high profile rubber I can squeeze in without worries of rubbing anywhere using my stock wheels. Does anyone have any recommendations? Right now it's got Firestone SS radials. I'll probably just stick with the standard and put Goodrich T/A's on her.
thanks for any input.
I am considering tires, too. Firestone Indy 500 tires in your size are about $85, rated for more mileage as the compound is little stronger. The BFGs may ride a little smoother.
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Wow, I guess it's been about 8 years since I bought tires for my Cuda. I didn't realize 14" rim sizes were getting so limited. That sucks. I don't think I have the heart to put 15's on this car since everything else is so factory correct. I'll check out the Firestones to at least get the size I currently have , though the ones on the car now seem pretty crappy compared to the Goodriches I've always used.
Anyone else like what they have?
Thanks for the heads up and info droptopron and sweet70oldz.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by droptopron
If you stay with the 14's I'll think you'll have a hard time even finding what you have now. 225/70/14 is the most common 14" tire available now. You may be able to find 245-60 which will give you a little width but be a touch shorter as well.

14" tires are a dying breed & 15's are going down that path too.
I'm running 225/70/14's on mine right now. No problem with getting a good amount of tire on the road, and that size is stll pretty easy to get.

Only thing I would comment on about changing tire size to 60's and even the 70's for that matter; it changes your speedo calibration. So you either have to change your speedo gear at the tranny or drive with GPS to know your right speed. I couldn't figure out why I was passing a lot of cars (other than it's a fast Cutlass) in traffic when I changed to 70's. The speedo was out by about 6 mph at 40 mph in the City. Highway was way off too until I hit around 70. Just something to be aware of when stopped by the local police??

Of course this changes a lot more if you go up a rim size without countering the sidewall to match the original specs.
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Administrator

The rim size does not determine the speedometer calibration, the O.D. of the tire does.

BFG has 225-70-14 which is a 26.5 in dia. tire with approx 8.98 sect width on a 6.5" wide rim.

or

245-60-14 which is a 25.6 in dia. tire with approx 9.8 sect width on a 7" wide rim.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The rim size does not determine the speedometer calibration, the O.D. of the tire does.

BFG has 225-70-14 which is a 26.5 in dia. tire with approx 8.98 sect width on a 6.5" wide rim.

or

245-60-14 which is a 25.6 in dia. tire with approx 9.8 sect width on a 7" wide rim.
Yes, you are right. That's why I said
Only thing I would comment on about changing tire size to 60's and even the 70's ...
and
if you go up a rim size without countering the sidewall to match the original specs
I think we're both on the same page, just saying it in different ways.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Ok! LOL