Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Diamond back or Coker

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2023, 07:24 AM
Bfg

Diamond back or Coker

I’m thinking of replacing my tires on my 442 with Red line Radials, I’ve heard bad reviews on Coker BFG Radials lately, I’ve looked at Diamond back also. Does anyone have any input of the Diamond backs?
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I’m thinking of replacing my tires on my 442 with Red line Radials, I’ve heard bad reviews on Coker BFG Radials lately, I’ve looked at Diamond back also. Does anyone have any input of the Diamond backs?
We just took a set of Cokers off my buddies 66 442 and put Diamondbacks on and he was extremely happy with them. Another buddy put a set of Diamondbacks on his 66 and he was very happy also.
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:52 AM

I have Diamondbacks on my vista. The quality is great and the turn around time was very fast. I think it was 2 weeks from the time I ordered them until they arrived at my door. You can also send them tires to have a red line vulcanized onto if you have a specific tire brand you want to run that they do not carry.
Old October 9th, 2023, 08:21 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a set of Gold Line Diamondbacks on order for my 75 Hurst Olds. I have only heard good things about them. They make them when you order them, so they are fresh and have not been on the shelf for some time. Their current turnaround is now about 4 weeks. If you order them directly, you will pay shipping which I think was about $150. I ordered them through Summitt and got the same price with free shipping. They drop ship them to my address. Mine are supposed to be here next week. I am looking forward to getting them. I think the Gold Line will look great with the gold trim on the black car.
Old October 9th, 2023, 10:36 AM
Always room for one more

I bought a set of wide whites for my Imperial online. I haven't put them on yet so I can't comment on the quality, but their service was tremendous. They were sent FedEx to my house in about 2 weeks.

Old October 9th, 2023, 11:18 AM

Coker is a distributor, not a manufacturer. The BFG's you purchase from them are no different than any other place that offers them. Personally, I'm not a fan of Coker. Everything I've ever considered from them could be found significantly less elsewhere.
Old October 9th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Coker is a distributor, not a manufacturer. The BFG's you purchase from them are no different than any other place that offers them. Personally, I'm not a fan of Coker. Everything I've ever considered from them could be found significantly less elsewhere.
Coker manufactures the BFG Silverton tires along with a few others.

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 9th, 2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 9th, 2023, 02:24 PM

I wouldn't buy BFG tires. There's a recent thread on the BFG Radial TAs that they have yellow instead of white letters. If they can't figure out a white letter tire, why would their white or red wall tires be any different?

Old October 9th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Bfg

Thank for all your input, I think I’ll go with the Diamondbacks
Old October 9th, 2023, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I wouldn't buy BFG tires. There's a recent thread on the BFG Radial TAs that they have yellow instead of white letters. If they can't figure out a white letter tire, why would their white or red wall tires be any different?
Here is the bulletin for the BFG website.

https://cxf-prod.azureedge.net/b2c-e...3-bfg-only.pdf
Old October 9th, 2023, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Don’t confuse BFG TA’s with the Coker Silverton tires, they are not related.
Old October 9th, 2023, 08:24 PM
Oldsdruid

Diamondback was started by a professional rubber chemist who couldn't find correct width wide whites for his... 1950 Oldsmobile 88 Club Coupe! So, using his background, he came up with a way to vulcanize a desired width whitewall onto a virgin new tire casing, using US-made tires when possible. Talked with him at length at a Fall Charlotte years ago and came away impressed.

I know which one I'd go with.

What's sad is past AACA President Harold Coker made Coker into a highly respected company. After it was sold to an investment capital firm who understands neither old cars nor their owners, it went straight to hell.

Last edited by rocketraider; October 9th, 2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 9th, 2023, 09:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Harold started the company in 1958. Corky came aboard in I believe it was 1974. He was the one that really built it into what it became. Wade Kawasaki became president while Corky still owned it. He and a group of investors purchased it a few years ago. I met Corky several years ago when my wife and I were there to tour the museum. Great guy.
Old October 10th, 2023, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Don’t confuse BFG TA’s with the Coker Silverton tires, they are not related.
Please clarify. I thought Coker made the BFG Radial TAs? If so, I wouldn't buy anything made by Coker.
​​​​​​https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coker_...Harold%20Coker.
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:30 AM

I have Red Line Diamondbacks on my 67 442 and they look and perform great. They recommend using Simple green to clean them which leaves a really nice, not to shiny finish. First time i ever had tires delivered to my door, nicely wrapped and ready to install.
Old October 10th, 2023, 07:56 AM
Bfg

I’m am definitely convinced to go with the Diamond Backs, can you provide a close up picture of the tires on your 67 442 if possible, looks like a nice one! Redoldsman I’m looking forward to seeing your 75 Hurst Olds fitted with your new tires as well!
Old October 10th, 2023, 10:02 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When they are done, I will post pictures of before and after.
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I’m am definitely convinced to go with the Diamond Backs, can you provide a close up picture of the tires on your 67 442 if possible, looks like a nice one! Redoldsman I’m looking forward to seeing your 75 Hurst Olds fitted with your new tires as well!
Not the best pics but shows pretty well.

Old October 11th, 2023, 05:03 AM
Bfg

They look great with the Super Stock l wheels! Thanks for showing.
Old October 12th, 2023, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by old80cs
Here is the bulletin for the BFG website.

https://cxf-prod.azureedge.net/b2c-e...3-bfg-only.pdf
This is great info it lines up with what I've seen on other sites where people swear by steel wool cleaning or original formula bleach white.

I work for a coatings and chemical manufacturer so that type of bulletin makes complete sense to me. It would be more reassuring if the doc was readily available on the BFG website.
Old October 12th, 2023, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by joes_olds
This is great info it lines up with what I've seen on other sites where people swear by steel wool cleaning or original formula bleach white.

I work for a coatings and chemical manufacturer so that type of bulletin makes complete sense to me. It would be more reassuring if the doc was readily available on the BFG website.
I’ve been using SOS scrub pads since I was a kid cleaning my dad’s and my grandfather’s whitewall tires. It’s all I’ve ever used.

I heard about it on another board and knew where to look. On BFG’s website scroll down to Help and Support. Scroll down again and you’ll see :

Old October 12th, 2023, 01:21 PM

It doesn't appear the same on my Droid. Could be different for mobile users?

Here's the link to the BFG FAQ:

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assistance/faq