Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

What engine will fit without modification in '57 Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM

What engine will fit without modification in '57 Oldsmobile

What engine will fit without modification in '57 Oldsmobile and the Jetaway

one broken valves
valve stem lined exhaust
rust inside intake manifold
one cylinder wall rust
broken valve spring

Thanks for reply

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsbiel
What engine will fit without modification in '57 Oldsmobile and the Jetaway

one broken valves
valve stem lined exhaust
rust inside intake manifold
one cylinder wall rust
broken valve spring

Thanks for reply

Rebuild what u have, but u can stuff a "394" from a '59 or '60 Olds with the least amount of conversions. The "394" from '61 to '64 Oldsmobiles have several more conversion concerns and some of these problems arise from Oil Pan clearance, larger exhaust manifolds which u cannot use your "371" manifolds as the bolt pattern is completely different, and the right side "394" from '61-'64 olds rests on the frame of '57 olds Frame. Hope this helps a bit but I think it will be cheaper and easier if u just take the time and use a "371" from a '57 or '58 or if u can rebuild what u have as it will work in your car once it's rebuilt. Good Luck.....
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks chequenman,

Unfortunately it does not help much. Ok, a "59 / '60 engine is only possible with effort OK. No-Olds engine. What, for example with a 350 cui Chevy

Sorry, I know it should also be temporary until the 371 is repaired
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM

Pic of the intake manifold can be seen that the rust is only on this cylinder everywhere. Even in the cylinder head

it looks like the rest of the intake manifold. no rust ...

Old March 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Stay away from butchering the Engine compartment to put some other means of power in there!!!
You say there is rusted Valve Stems and Broken Valve Springs?, is that all on the same cylinder ? You haven't said what or how this Engine got this way, but I would think you have a cracked head or a blown head gasket by it's appearance. Check your Head Gasket for where it might have failed and then have your head checked for cracks. If you get that resolved then just clean up the rest of the Engine like Coldwar says and you could be back in business driving this car again.....
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=Oldsbiel;264998]Pic of the intake manifold can be seen that the rust is only on this cylinder everywhere.

Thats an exhaust crossover and what your seeing is just carbon build up. To answer your question, any 1957 1958 1959 or 1960 371 or 394 will work and bolts up to your transmission. But those pictures dont look too bad. Rebuild what you already have
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:00 AM

chequenman and 59-59-59

You say there is rusted Valve Stems and Broken Valve Springs?, is that all on the same cylinder ? ------> Yes

You haven't said what or how this Engine got this way -----> The engine is the original engine of this car. The car has been 17 years.

but I would think you have a cracked head or a blown head gasket by it's appearance ----> No, the head gasket and the cylinder head is ok.

I have the intake manifold under suspicion. She goes through the cooling water pipe. The lowest point of the spider goes to this cylinder. I'm going to the water line of the intake manifold put under pressure. Suppose there is a crack.

All the pics of the repairs are here: http://1957oldsmobile.jimdo.com/sprachauswahl/gerade-in-arbeit/
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsbiel
chequenman and 59-59-59

You say there is rusted Valve Stems and Broken Valve Springs?, is that all on the same cylinder ? ------> Yes

You haven't said what or how this Engine got this way -----> The engine is the original engine of this car. The car has been 17 years.

but I would think you have a cracked head or a blown head gasket by it's appearance ----> No, the head gasket and the cylinder head is ok.

I have the intake manifold under suspicion. She goes through the cooling water pipe. The lowest point of the spider goes to this cylinder. I'm going to the water line of the intake manifold put under pressure. Suppose there is a crack.

All the pics of the repairs are here: http://1957oldsmobile.jimdo.com/sprachauswahl/gerade-in-arbeit/

I've looked at all of your pictures and it doesn't appear to be an Intake Manifold problem as water does not run through the Intake in the center two cylinders.
If you're trying to Hone your Cylinder walls your method is awkward as a Honeing stone should be used with the Pistons removed!!! Remember you are only cleaning 1/2 of the Cylinder Walls with your method and the Rings won't feel the effect of all your work as u aren't reaching where they're in the lowest position.
I said earlier to fix this Engine but you have to do it the right way so, get some instruction on the proper methods of repair.
The picture of your Head shows a somewhat marking near a Water passage way beside that one bad looking Cylinder giving me thought that a Head Gasket could have been leaking there, and I didn't see a picture of the Head where u have had it Hot Tanked and Pressure tested and Magnafluxed. Before u go any farther, get the Head done with the valves removed so a thorough inspection can be done and any other problems checked out. If u aren't thorough, this problem could be missed and who wants to tear the engine appart again becaused u missed something....
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Hi,
I have no Honing stone used. It is an abrasive cloth which I wrapped around a wire brush attachment. There was no great pressure exerted thereby on the cylinder wall. It should only remove the surface rust. to see how deep the rust has eaten.

The cylinder head I've given away to

rust removal
control
grinding exhaust valves
Store new valve stems

I get info mation, an exhaust valve spring is broken. Now I am waiting for spare parts