Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Frame off Dave

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Frame off Dave

I posted this on the home page forum, but this seems to be a better location for my question.
I am currently doing a frame off restoration of my Olds.
The frame is completed, as is the engine and it is now waiting for the body work to be completed.
I have completely stripped all the paint from the car, inside and out.
I have a question for anyone who is knowledgeable about this year of Olds.
As I am prepairing the car for paint I can’t find any information about the color of the underside of the hood. As the one I am working on had been repainted and the removal didn’t give me any clues it remains a mystery.
I have a parts Olds, actually it was going to be the restoration car, but I found a rust free one.
Even though my parts car is pristine, never touched, painted or modified in any way, including exhaust, the underside of the hood doesn’t reveal any clues either.
Thanks,
Dave
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM

I didn't see what you were workin on here, but mine has a body plate on the driver's side cowl area with paint codes, option codes, and even interior codes. Not on the hood but on the main body, above the master cylinder area mounted horizontally next to where the fender is.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Without knowing exactly what car you are working on it's difficult to be certain with a response. However, many or most of the Olds cars from the 60's and up did not have any finish color on the underside of the hood. These hoods were fully coated with a black semi gloss primer and this is what remained on the underside of the hoods. Companies like Eastwood sell Underhood Black to allow you to replicate that finish.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Forget the info above as I just saw on another post that you have a 55 Olds. For that car I believe the underside of the hood is the same color as the exterior. But I am not all that familiar with the 50's Olds cars so you'll need to get someone else who knows those cars to say if this is correct or not.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM

my 56 which has a original hood on it off another car, is black. i assume its original as the paint on the outside is.............john
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
1956 holiday coupe

post pictures love to see these years naked
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Frame off Dave

Originally Posted by ToBiN!
I didn't see what you were workin on here, but mine has a body plate on the driver's side cowl area with paint codes, option codes, and even interior codes. Not on the hood but on the main body, above the master cylinder area mounted horizontally next to where the fender is.
Tobin,
Thanks for the info. I apparently spaced out by not leaving the year of my car, a 55.
The body plate on the 55's is in the same area, but on the right side.
What I was looking for was the color of the underside of the hood.
Thinking this would be an easy thing to do by locating a restored car to look at turned out to not be so easy. Most show the engine compartment, and many take licence to paint what every color they wish.
Ha, so in order to be correct I have looked to you and the many who are actually doing restorations. I suspected that it would be black, but needed to be sure as my intent is to do a "show room" restoration.
Thanks,
Dave