Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Sound Deadener for '55 S88?

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2023, 11:45 AM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Sound Deadener for '55 S88?

My Olds never had any carpet, kick panels, etc. since I've had it - my Dad must have had a reason to taking it down to the metal floor ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯... Do I need to put anything down underneath the carpet kit that I've purchased? I've seen some "Sound Deadener" kits on Rock Auto & eBay (CollectorsAutoSupply.com) but am unsure and looking for input/guidance from the experts on CO. Thanks!!
Old April 27th, 2023, 08:52 AM

I bought a carpet kit for my 1955 Olds '98 from Rockauto, it is made by a company called ACC, it was priced great and the sound deadening is glued to the underside of the carpet just like the original.
Old April 27th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Running On Empty

FYI
ACC produces/manufactures most of the carpet supplies for the majority of the automotive resale outlets (i.e. Rock Auto, Legendary, etc.). They produce a quality product.
Additional info. can be found here...
https://www.accmats.com/about/
Old April 27th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
FYI
ACC produces/manufactures most of the carpet supplies for the majority of the automotive resale outlets (i.e. Rock Auto, Legendary, etc.). They produce a quality product.
Additional info. can be found here...
https://www.accmats.com/about/
Hi Norm, I purchased a carpet kit identical to the one sold on accmats and the pieces do have something like a carpet pad attached just as @ub2693v indicated in his post. BUT accmats also lists Sound Deadeners in the same section. Do I use both?? My interior floor is nothing but metal. https://www.accmats.com/commerce/195...eadener/14392/
Old April 27th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by JenR8r88
Hi Norm, I purchased a carpet kit identical to the one sold on accmats and the pieces do have something like a carpet pad attached just as @ub2693v indicated in his post. BUT accmats also lists Sound Deadeners in the same section. Do I use both?? My interior floor is nothing but metal. https://www.accmats.com/commerce/195...eadener/14392/
Jen - Excellent question I am unable to answer. I suspect you can use both. I'd call ACC and ask them. 800-352-8216
Old April 27th, 2023, 01:04 PM

Jen, the carpet kit you purchased is probably good enough. The carpet kits could be used on cars being restored or customized. The basic carpet lit would be more for stock automobiles. For a customized vehicle with different exhaust and A/C installed, the extra sound deadener/insulation could be used to reduce sound and heat from outside the car.

Jen, something to think about...... back in those days, carpet was an extra cost option. Many cars had a rubber mat that covered the floors instead of carpet. I am not talking about floor mats, I am saying rubber mat material in place of the carpet. "Salesman's cars" usually were ordered with the rubber because it could be kept cleaner. A salesman carried his "samples cases" inside the car, and was in and out of his car several times a day in all kinds of weather.
A "Salesman's car" was generally the cheapest model with no, or very few options. They had black wall tires, small hub caps, and many times a manual transmission.
Old April 27th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Thank you Ralph! My parents owned car washes so I would assume my Dad ruined the carpeting with the carwash environment that he just took them out...especially since it didn't have any kick panels either. I have one childhood memory of sitting in the back seat being tall enough to only see the window crank handle and the arm rest materials but none of the front or floor until I decided at 15 that I wanted to drive it.

Thank you for your guidance. My last question on this would be that since I live in Phoenix, and it's REALLY hot here, would that add extra insulation might benefit me? I do not have A/C in the car.
Old April 27th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Thank you Ralph! My parents owned car washes so I would assume my Dad ruined the carpeting with the carwash environment that he just took them out...especially since it didn't have any kick panels either. I have one childhood memory of sitting in the back seat being tall enough to only see the window crank handle and the arm rest materials but none of the front or floor until I decided at 15 that I wanted to drive it.

Thank you for your guidance. My last question on this would be that since I live in Phoenix, and it's REALLY hot here, would that add extra insulation might benefit me? I do not have A/C in the car.
Jen, I am not sure how much "Dynamat" on the floorboard and footwells would help on a non-A/C car. I have wondered about using it in the roof under the headliner. Maybe others can chime in with their thoughts.