Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Door flippers

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2022, 12:46 PM

Door flippers

I’d like to reopen the discussion on two door hardtop door flippers. My ‘55 has three “hinges” on the driver’s side and two on the passenger side. The front hinge on each side has a metal tab that projects down from the door. I believe it is responsible for pushing the flipper back down when the door closes. Should there be tabs on the other hinges as well? When I open the driver’s side door, it hangs up a bit at the aft end of the flipper and there is a small patch where the chrome has rubbed off the top of the window trim. It appears that the aft hinge rubs on the window trim. I’ve had the windows down all summer (you know, for the 4/70 a/c to work), and didn’t notice the drag until I drove with the windows up today due to our premature cold snap. Any ideas on a fix?
Old October 19th, 2022, 04:46 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Dave what the f is a door flipper? Pictures, please.
Old October 19th, 2022, 05:02 PM

This is the flipper in the door closed position. There’s a small tab above the vent window that pushes the flipper down as the door closes.

Here the flipper is open in the up position.

This photo has the flipper about half way open. It’s hard to hold it still because it’s spring loaded. It’s purpose is to help shed water in the rain. Sort of a flap over the top of the window.
Old October 19th, 2022, 07:32 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ahh, thanks for the lesson. Never knew this existed. Optional or is it on all 55s? Is it a 88 or 98?
Definitely out of my wheelhouse. If no one responds here I might suggest finding the assembly manual for some insight.
How are the main door hinges as far as sag?
I would think the rubbing isnt normal and will only get worse. Something is worn or out of adjustment is a good guess.

I got a guy that's a 55-57 nut. I'll run it by him for any info.

Lets see the whole car!

Steve
Old October 19th, 2022, 08:24 PM

I don’t think it’s optional on the Super 88’s. It may be an option on the base model. I couldn’t find anything in the repair manual about the flippers. The doors are hanging straight. The only thing that’s changed is I rolled up the windows. When I roll the back window away from the front window, the “binding” goes away. I did put new rubber window trim around the windows and doors a few months ago. Perhaps the new rubber moldings are thick enough to push the front window outboard a bit causing the flipper to bind. I’ll keep messing with it. Appreciate your help.
Dave
Old October 19th, 2022, 08:46 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Let the new rubber "settle". Roll windows up tight and let the seals take a set. Then look at making some small adjustments. Could take months for the rubber to settle.
Old October 19th, 2022, 10:45 PM

The "Flippers" were for hard tops only.
Old October 20th, 2022, 07:17 AM

I was going to say not on my super 88, but it is a convertible. On your door issue, have you tried putting a floor jack under the lower corner. with the hinge bolts barely a little loose but not backed out then lift a little, then try the door again. Sometimes just a little will free up a little misalignment. Tedd
Old October 20th, 2022, 08:44 AM

I really don’t think it’s a door alignment problem. I didn’t have any problems until I put the new window moldings on. Like droldsmorland said perhaps the new rubber needs to settle. And as I stated above, if I roll the back window down a bit the problem goes away. Another clue I’ve discovered is that the front window is very hard to open with the back window closed. I have to open the door to move the window. Once again, I think that’s a problem with the new moldings. I think I’ll lubricate the rubber with some talcum powder and see if that loosens things a bit.
And about the door and window moldings . . . I’ve replaced all the rubber on the doors except the vent windows. My auto body guy told me that they are real pain in the tush to replace. But that’s the only place that I’m getting any air leakage now. So, is it really that hard once I get over the sticker shock of buying the new vent moldings?