Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Drivers door

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM

Drivers door

I have a 70 cutlass post car. Te passenger door seems like it needs to move toward the back of the car. When the door is lined up at all body lines there is a gap you can see threw at the back of the pass window and the post. Also a gap at the front of the door and the body. Has anyone ever seen this. I think if the window frame could go back it would be better.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

The window frame is welded to the door, so it's not going anywhere by itself. The only adjustment you have is at the hinges. The correct way to adjust the door is to temporarily remove the striker bolt (so as not to artificially deflect the door up or down) and adjust the hinges as needed to get the door aligned properly. The bolts on the body side of the hinge allow adjustment of the door fore-aft, up-down, and nose up-down rotation. The bolts on the door side of the hinge allow in-out, up-down and top in-out rotation. Once the door is properly aligned with the hinge bolts, then reinstall and align the striker bolt so that the door latches but is not deflected up or down.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That makes sense. A small amount of shimming at the hinge can result in a significant degree change 4' back at the door post.